D&D 5E High level Conjuration Wizard seems OP...

faria

First Post
So I'm joining a campaign this weekend. Starts at level 12, goes through 20. I wanted to build a Conjuration Wizard around the Focused Conjuration (can't lose concentration on conjuration spells) and Durable Summons features (+30 temp HP to each conjured creature). The various conjure creature spells usually allow for many creatures of a lower CR to be summoned, so they would benefit more from the temp HP.

Note that Conjuration Wizards don't get some of the conjure creature spells by default. But they can cast pretty much all of them via Wish at level 17. Note again that casting them via Wish means they're being cast with a 9th level slot--it just specifies that a spell of 8th level or lower be cast, which is pretty much every conjure creature spell.

The downside to this build is that the conjured creatures are up to the DM and that it says the words "or lower" when choosing a CR rating...

Still, if the DM is game, the potential is there for some serious damage. If I use Wish to cast Conjure Animals and pick CR 1/4 and the DM gives me 8 * 4 = 32 Giant Poisonous Snakes, I'd have summoned 32 * (11 HP + 30 tempHP) = 1312 HP worth of creatures that do an average of 6.5 piercing + 7.5 poison = 14 damage * 32 = 448 damage a round, and they all have +6 to hit mind you... And with Focused Conjuration, I can't lose concentration on them... I can kite and, if an enemy chases me, they take 32 attacks of opportunity... Anyway, I digress.

I'll probably go Yuan-Ti Pureblood to encourage snakes to be summoned (most snakes do pretty good damage because of poison). I'm assuming the DM will pick random animals though, or minor elementals, fey, woodland beings, and celestials, so I doubt I'll get so lucky. But even an army of 24 crappy pixies can wreak a hell of a lot of havoc, and they'd have 31x their standard HP lol. And of course, I'd always have Conjure Elemental available too. Not sure if it's worth it with the other conjuration options around, but at least the DM can't call the shot there.

I do have a question though: are there any ways to improve upon this build? Is there a non-concentration spell I'm not thinking of that would make an enemy take extra damage from all sources? Or maybe a class feature worth multiclassing into? With this many summoned creatures attacking an enemy, even an extra 1d4 damage from all sources would make a big difference.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Blindness/deafness is not concentration and will give all of your summons (and allies) advantage to hit and the foe disadvantage to attack.

Ovarwa

Explorer
A build that relies on Wish to cast Conjure X spells is not overpowered.

The best way to improve this build is to make sure that your Wizard has plenty of other tricks to pull when conjuring random creatures of limited capability doesn't work out the way you hope it does as often as you hope it does.

mellored

Legend
Get a friendly ancient paladin, who stands in the middle of your snakes with protective aura's (+Cha to their saves, half fireball damage), and uses crusader's mantle (+1d4 to damage).

Inspiring leader can also help between battles. And maybe 3 levels of sorcerer for extended metamagic. To get your summons last longer.

Renduaz

First Post
You realize that you can have 120+ Undead ( With Create Undead, choosing Wights ) with an Elf who can do a 4 hour Long Rest Trance and times it correctly, that will last for even more time, can be armored and use ranged weapons, and will do a thousand times more damage than that, and all of this without concentration, right?

gyor

Legend
So I'm joining a campaign this weekend. Starts at level 12, goes through 20. I wanted to build a Conjuration Wizard around the Focused Conjuration (can't lose concentration on conjuration spells) and Durable Summons features (+30 temp HP to each conjured creature). The various conjure creature spells usually allow for many creatures of a lower CR to be summoned, so they would benefit more from the temp HP.

Note that Conjuration Wizards don't get some of the conjure creature spells by default. But they can cast pretty much all of them via Wish at level 17. Note again that casting them via Wish means they're being cast with a 9th level slot--it just specifies that a spell of 8th level or lower be cast, which is pretty much every conjure creature spell.

The downside to this build is that the conjured creatures are up to the DM and that it says the words "or lower" when choosing a CR rating...

Still, if the DM is game, the potential is there for some serious damage. If I use Wish to cast Conjure Animals and pick CR 1/4 and the DM gives me 8 * 4 = 32 Giant Poisonous Snakes, I'd have summoned 32 * (11 HP + 30 tempHP) = 1312 HP worth of creatures that do an average of 6.5 piercing + 7.5 poison = 14 damage * 32 = 448 damage a round, and they all have +6 to hit mind you... And with Focused Conjuration, I can't lose concentration on them... I can kite and, if an enemy chases me, they take 32 attacks of opportunity... Anyway, I digress.

I'll probably go Yuan-Ti Pureblood to encourage snakes to be summoned (most snakes do pretty good damage because of poison). I'm assuming the DM will pick random animals though, or minor elementals, fey, woodland beings, and celestials, so I doubt I'll get so lucky. But even an army of 24 crappy pixies can wreak a hell of a lot of havoc, and they'd have 31x their standard HP lol. And of course, I'd always have Conjure Elemental available too. Not sure if it's worth it with the other conjuration options around, but at least the DM can't call the shot there.

I do have a question though: are there any ways to improve upon this build? Is there a non-concentration spell I'm not thinking of that would make an enemy take extra damage from all sources? Or maybe a class feature worth multiclassing into? With this many summoned creatures attacking an enemy, even an extra 1d4 damage from all sources would make a big difference.

Hate to break it to you, but until the Conjurer gets wish, which can only be cast once a day, the Wizard can only summon various Elementals (and a familiar and Unseen Servants no conjure fey/beasts/Celestials.

It's why Druids are the second best summoners, so many options.

It goes Lore Bard (who can cherry pick all the Conjure X spells, and use it's inspiration dice to support them).

Then Circle of the Sheppard Druid, with it summonable spirit and Conjure Beasts, Conjure Woodland Creatures, Conjure Fey, Conjurer Minor Elemental, Conjure Elemental, and various features.

Then Conjurer Wizard. Best at elemental summoning however, and at high level can summon Unseen Servant at will if they choose it to be their at will first level spell.

Then Favoured Soul (I consider Spiritual Guardians, Spiritual Weapon, and Guardian of Faith conjured ainions, even if they are monsters that can't be attack, plus eventually Conjure Celestial + Extend Spell.

Last edited:

Fuchi Miller

Explorer
You can Cast the Cleric Spell Conjure Celestial to summon a Unicorn!! Just the idea of a Unicorn is fun .-.

If you use it to cast Clone, does the clone gain the Temp HP?

Use it to cast Create Undead, that sounds like it'll be fun

OH! Use Wish to cast Simulacrum and make a duplicate of the Barbarian or something. maybe even a T Rex. although it does take 12 hours to cast sooooooo there's that

Fuchi Miller

Explorer
Also if your DM allows Unearthed Arcana spells, you can ask to cast Conjure Lesser Demon at 9th level letting you summon 32 Manes or Dretches demons. Note that they wont listen to you though lol

Remove ads