High Seas Shenanigans (Updated: 12/04/05)

Monster update this time. Enjoy!

At Sea, and First Blood

Viktalia closed her eyes, and relished the smell of salt in the air. Salt meant sailing, and sailing meant she was headed somewhere new, somewhere she hadn’t been before.

As she nibbled on the dried apricot in her hand, she noise of the sea washed about her, as it had for the past week since they’d left Erelion. Around a half mile ahead of them lay the bulk of the Silver Hart, the Baron’s fast galleon plowing through the waves as an iron golem would plow through a mere bush. They had set a course of east by northeast, intending to sail around the warzone surrounding the Imperial enemy of Kandor, then change course to east by southeast, before stopping at the port of Tarnpool.

She’d found herself with very little to do, for the most part. The crew was well behaved, and thanks to her persuasion of the captain, healthy food on board meant that they wouldn’t likely be expecting disease.

Siran was on deck this day too... mercifully, as the ship’s carpenter, she hadn’t had much time to see him, as he was going out, constantly looking for leaks, checking the masts, and other jobs, usually accompanied by Visiel, whose patience as a warforged meant he caught many small, tiny things that humans were to busy to spot.

Among the rest of the crew on deck this day, Viktalia saw one figure that stood out. Standing on the starboard side of the ship, roughly amidships, was the ship’s lone passenger. The woman had been on deck every day, staring out to the sea since the ship had left the port of Erelion. While that alone might have caught Viktalia’s attention, there were even stranger things about their passenger.

For one, she had not said a word since their putting to sea. While Viktalia hadn’t really made an effort to get close to her, she had expected that over the course of an entire week at sea, the woman would have said something to someone, yet no one claimed to have ever heard her voice. Just as strangely, she was clad head to toe in fine linens, and despite the summer’s heat, over her face she wore a silver mask carved and etched to resemble the countenance of a beautiful woman. Not a single piece of skin was visible, save her eyes.

Viktalia had only caught sight of them once, and their blue depths seemed to stretch on and on into seas of melancholy. While her linens hung close to curves that undoubtedly would drive most men crazy, there was something about her that caused most of the sailors on board to stay away... something Viktalia couldn’t place.

“You noticed her too?”

Viktalia bristled slightly on hearing Siran’s voice behind her. He’s probably been leering at her. No wonder she put on a mask...

“She seems really sad,” the cleric said as he stepped beside her, “I’m guessing she wears the mask to hide it.” As Viktalia’s jaw dropped, the cleric turned and looked at her for a moment, before he frowned. “What? I can’t express a little emotion here?” He gestured off towards the woman again. “She seems sad, that’s all! Why do you assume I’m always oggling people?”

“Because you always are oggling women,” Viktalia shot back, before looking at him, surprise still on her face. “I’m more than a little surprised that you noticed anything about her other than her curves.” The Siran of last week would have leered and commented on her body, or something.

“She walks like a noble, but slowly and with a slight slouch, that’s how I know she’s sad,” Siran pressed ahead. Viktalia gave a slight humph at him ignoring her comment, yet he didn’t notice that either. “Though like I said, I’m wondering about that mask.” He looked back at Viktalia, and frowned again. “Come on! Don’t give me that look! You’re wondering too!”

“I am,” Viktalia said, before turning towards Siran with an iron gaze. “I’m wondering why you are such a shallow, drunkard, skirt-chasing fool.”

“I knew we got off on the wrong foot,” Siran replied with a sigh. He walked over to one of the railings, and stared off into the sea. “Do you want to hear my explanation for my actions, or do you wish to be like so many others and give a lecture that I likely will immediately forget?”

I wonder what his excuse is going to be... Viktalia wondered, before nodding to him.

“Well, my dearest Formorteran, I am, as you know, a cleric of St. Heraclius. As such, I find myself in situations constantly that most would describe as dangerous, many as foolhardy, and still others as daft. Therefore,” he turned to her, “I have no idea when my life might suddenly end, or when I’ll catch a whiff of bad luck and find myself so horribly mutilated that I wish my life had ended.” Viktalia looked into his eyes, and for once, she didn’t see a leering gaze in return, only a sad one, as Siran fidgeted with the ship’s railing.

Viktalia nodded. The clerics of Heraclius had a reputation, but she’d never heard one explain why his order acted so roguish on a constant basis. Not until now.

“So, I live hard, drink hard, play hard, and try to enjoy the most I can. That’s all,” he sighed, before looking back out to the sea. “I don’t ever want to be laying on the deck one day, the ship’s doctor reaching in my ribs, and my poor brain squeezing through the pain one final thought of: ‘I wish I knew what would have happened if...’” An ironic laugh later, “You know, they say its a miracle that the Abbot of St. Heraclius in Erelion has reached forty. I’m a little over halfway there.”

He’s twenty-five... still very young for a human... and he thinks constantly of death? The thought confused her, confounded her. Formorterans were a peaceful people, death short of old age was considered a tragedy, not the norm. Sure, they knew of the elves and humans and their constant wars against each other, but knowing of death was one thing... seeing it passively reflected in someone’s eyes was something far different.

“So,” he said, turning back to her, his back straight and the cockiness back in his eyes, “that’s my sob story. Not much of one, I know, and it can’t be converted into a bard’s song or a play, but it’s the truth.” He shrugged. “Just don’t try to pigeon-hole me before we’ve done much, alright?” he winked.

Viktalia had been about to open her mouth to issue an apology, of sorts, until she saw that wink. Instantly, a frown came over her face again, though it wasn’t nearly as dark as the one’s prior.

“You’re incorrigible, you know that?” she said.

“Incorri-what?”

“Incorrigible. You can’t be changed,” she rolled her eyes. She deftly avoided the uncomfortable previous topic when she added, “and yes, I was curious too. Leering didn’t cause me to acquire my curiosity, however.”

“No harm, no foul,” Siran raised his hands. “Though someone should go over and talk to her.”

Both he and Viktalia immediately looked at each other, and he flashed a smile.

“If I go over there, you’ll accuse me of flirting,” he said simply, with another wink. Viktalia rolled her eyes, and groaned.

“Fine... I’ll going to go over and talk to her.”

“Hello?” Viktalia asked cautiously, to no reply. Well... she’s going to be difficult then. “My name is Viktalia, Viktalia Starwynd.” She proffered a friendly hand in front of the woman, and finally the shrouded creature turned, those same blue eyes looking sharply at her from behind their silver shield.

“Rowena,” the woman said simply, her voice wet and heavy, as if she needed to cough up a piece of phlegm. No hand was offered, and the blue eyes flashed annoyance.

Still not welcome... there seems to be a lot of ice to crack here, Viktalia thought, before slipping alongside their passenger and looking out to the sea for a moment. After a few moments of silence, she turned. “I’ve noticed you’re the only other woman on board. On a ship full of deprived men, it might be a good idea to get to know each other, watch our backs.” While Viktalia flashed a rather humorous smile, she had heard some unfortunate stories...

“You seem to be the one that needs guarding,” the woman rasped, looking at Viktalia for a moment before returning her gaze to the sea. “The men stay away from me, and rightfully so.”

’Rightfully so?’ Either this woman has a low opinion of herself... or something’s happened here that has to do with her looks, Viktalia thought. She let silence reign between them for a few more seconds, before speaking again. “If you don’t mind me probing...”

“Why the mask?” the woman answered her question, turning to face her again. There was a noise that sounded something like a sigh mixed with the noise of a person blowing bubbles underwater. The blue eyes looked past Viktalia for a second, before looking down at the deck in sadness. “This is what happens when you’re cursed.”

Cursed? How? Why? A thousand questions burst into Viktalia’s mind, yet she restrained herself. Let her open up slowly... don’t rush her. Another few moments silence. “Its awfully hot out... aren’t you hot?”

“Dreadfully,” came the simple reply.

“Whatever is cursed, I’m sure its not bad enough to put up with this heat!” Viktalia said hopefully. Or is it?

“It is,” the woman replied. “I’m afraid if the crew saw what I really look like, they would jump overboard in fear... and loathing.” Viktalia thought she saw the woman’s form give a slight shudder.

So even she loathes what she has become... this must be a rather gruesome curse...

“Really? I can’t imagine anything that would be bad enough for you to put yourself through a furnace,” Viktalia said simply. “I’ve been to many places, and I’m sure no matter how bad you look, that I’ve seen worse and grinned afterwards. You’re only torturing yourself by wearing all those heavy linens and that mask out here in the heat,” she said gently. Get her to open up more out of concern...

“You really wish to see what... what she, no, they did to me?” the woman asked.

“Why not? I’m sure you look better than you think,” Viktalia said confidently.

“You promise you won’t run and leap off the ship, or go mad?” the woman asked.

“Of course not!” Viktalia laughed, even as her mind worried. What could be wrong with her that is that bad? Is she a medusa of some kind? Cursed with a disease that spreads madness? “You can’t be uglier than a Formorteran cave troll!”

“Very well,” the woman sighed, pulling back the thick linens covering her arm with a silk gloved hand. For a moment, her glove hovered there, indecision plain in her movements, until finally, she pulled her hand away, and Viktalia fought her hardest not to gasp.

All the woman revealed was a tiny section of her skin, no more than an inch across, yet it was awash in a sea of festering sores and oozing blisters, its entirety either sickly shades of yellow, angry shades of red, or nauseating black ulcers. Viktalia immediately felt the woman’s eyes boring into her, and only a second later, the linen had been replaced.

“It was frightening to you,” her voice rasped, as she looked down towards the now covered arm. “I should not have shown you.”

“No, it didn’t,” Viktalia lied, as she swallowed hard. Who, or what could have done this to her? Why would someone do something so horrible as to curse someone like this? “I...um...” the bard stammered, for the first time in a while flummoxed. Finally, she forced her brain and mouth into sync. If this is a mere curse... maybe Siran could help? Or maybe at least heal some of the sores? “I...have a friend. He is a cleric, of St. Heraclius. Perhaps maybe he could help you?”

“I would be surprised if he could,” her voice grated in reply. “I only left my home in Tarnpool because it was said there was a man in Erelion that called himself Hephastion who could heal anything... for a price.” Her dripping voice became acidic. “Your friend does not charge twenty-five thousand gold pieces for a sham?”

Twenty-five thousand gold?! Viktalia had to once again keep her jaw from dropping in shock. This woman is either fabulously wealthy, or a part of the nobility... hmm... Tarnpool... what do I know about Tarnpool...

“No... he won’t charge,” Viktalia said confidently. If he does, he is no true cleric.

Siran watched as Viktalia and the strange woman walked over, side by side.

Hmm... I wonder what is going on here? I highly doubt Viktalia put in a good word for me... maybe the woman was curious about me? Maybe she needs healing or something...

...a chance to make a good impression, either way!
Siran cracked his neck, shuffled his clothes, and rubbed a dull spot off his armor just before the two were directly in front of him.

“Miss Rowena of Tarnpool, I would like you to meet Siran Rapp,” Viktalia said.

“Sir,” the woman in the silver mask said as she bowed, her voice sounding heavy and wet. That alone started to ring alarm bells in Siran’s head... beautiful damsels, even those in distress, didn’t have voices that sounded as if they were speaking almost underwater.

“Milady,” Siran said after a second, raising a hand as if to take her glove and kiss it. When she hesitated, he gave a slightly gruff nod. I see Viktalia talked to her ahead of me. “I am please to make your acquaintance,” he quickly added.

“And I yours,” the woman said, before the bright silver mask flashed momentarily towards Viktalia. “Your friend says you are a skilled healer, and I, as you can see, have need of one. Can you lift curses?”

“Curses?” Siran said slowly. “Um... what kind of curses?” She’s been cursed... something disfiguring, I guess, from all the clothes she’s wearing to cover herself. “I can heal wounds, call on creatures from the deep, but curses...” he raised his hands in honesty, “those are beyond my abilities, madam. I am sorry.” Dammit! If only I’d paid some more attention at seminary! He honestly felt bad... whatever was wrong with the woman, it required her to cover herself completely, which he guessed wasn’t that comfortable at all by itself...

She sighed, and he saw her blue eyes look down, as if another tiny flicker of hope had been crushed. “At least you are honest... that’s more than I can say for the last cleric I went to. He pocketed my money before pronouncing me incurable.”

“Its too bad there are charlatans about,” Siran said quietly. “I sincerely hope that your condition finds a cure, madam, though I am curious... what is this curse, exactly?”

“Siran!” Viktalia snapped.

“If he is curious... he can ask,” the woman raised a hand to quiet the bard down. “I am the daughter of a noble from Kubalia... the human kingdom just across the Straits of Erelion. I used to be beautiful... they said I was the most beautiful girl in the land... and sadly I got the attention of the already married Prince.” She sighed again, her hand reaching for her sleeve again. “His jealous wife did this to me.”

When Siran saw the puss and ulcer filled section of flesh, he wasn’t as strong as Viktalia. He did recoil.

“I understand your recoil. Its repulsive, and extremely painful,” she said quietly, replacing the clothing. “For the past two years I have sailed all around the Kubalia Sea, looking for cures, bleeding my father’s purse dry in the process. And as of yet, nothing but, as you say,” her voice turned acidic in its murk, “charlatans and con-men. So now that the purse has run dry, I have no choice but to sail home,” she shrugged, the movement making sickening slurping noises.

“Well, let me tell you this, at least,” Siran said, this time elegantly taking her gloved hand and administering a kiss, “no matter what your skin looks like, you still have very pretty eyes, as blue as the sky above!”

“Why thank you!” the eyes lit up for a moment, a smile from the past that now was invisible.

When she had left, returning to her post on the starboard side of the ship, Viktalia turned to Siran, and administered a death glare.

“You are a scoundrel!” she whispered.

“I am nothing of the sort!” Siran raised his hands in defense. “I’m guessing with a condition like that, it has been two years since someone has paid her a compliment. And I don’t know about you, bell-ears,” he gestured to Viktalia’s jewelry, “but every now and then I feel better when someone says something good about me.” If its impossible to heal the body, it is usually possible to heal the mind, at least...

Visiel blinked for a second and sighed.

It is good to have direction again, he smiled, even as his eyes keenly looked over the distant flashes of white-topped waves under the full moon six hours later. Carefully he kept looking for the lights, or flash of a sail that would signal another ship, a task he threw himself into with glee despite having spent two hours already staring at the empty sea. I’ll gladly do this all through the night.

“Hey Visiel!” he heard the cleric call, but Visiel did not turn around. He could talk to the cleric while his eyes watched the water.

“Yes, companion?” he asked.

“You sure got the captain angry back an hour ago,” the cleric chuckled. He, as well as Viktalia, had agreed to stay up with Visiel during the first watch of the night... not at Visiel’s request, but the captain’s.

“I do not understand why Lieutenant Kaled grew so frustrated with me,” Visiel replied morosely. I try to do my best, and I do not understand what I did wrong. “All I did was request a new assignment. After eight hours of scrubbing, I am very sure the deck was clean down to the most minute speck of dust.”

“I don’t think it was the fact you wanted a new assignment,” Siran laughed, “but that you asked him a thousand times in the space of five minutes for a new assignment!”

He did not hear my original request, I assumed, so I thought it appropriate to ask again until I was sure he received my request. On the battlefield, it is always important for the officers to know the situation, even if their subordinates must advise them repeatedly on conditions. If he had been human, Visiel might have scratched his head, but instead, he gave his standard metallic grunt. “I only advised the Lieutenant that the battlefield situation had changed, and I only spoke to him until I received acknowledgement my message had been received.”

“If you call cursing up a storm acknowledgement,” Siran said, “and there you go again with the battlefield talk. We aren’t in a war right now... not until we see some vessels from Kandor or Lees. Then we’re heading to war.”

“The lieutenant advised me to watch the ocean for enemy ships, which is what I shall do,” Visiel replied simply. “I have no need for restive maintenance, unlike you humans, so I can keep this watch throughout the night. Now,” Visiel changed his tone to one he had heard many officers use to younger subordinates, “you should return to your patrol over there. Your companionship is welcome, but you are distracting me from my mission, companion.”

“My patrol?” Siran said, before walking back to starboard amidships. “I suppose, if you call me watching the sea a patrol.”

Visiel ignored the comment. Humans always loved to argue the semantics of orders, which only delayed their enactment. Viktalia does not question orders like this... though since Siran used to be a ship’s officer, he is still adjusting to being a carpenter’s mate.

“He’s certainly uptight,” Siran whispered a few moments later, only to hear Viktalia give a snort. “What?”

“He’s trying to do his job, yet you’re bothering him,” she said quietly. “He doesn’t think the same way we do. I’ve got the feeling that he needs order, he needs hierarchy and assigned tasks...”

Quite dull, if you ask me. “So anyway,” Siran waved his hand, changing topic, “I overheard some stuff from the crew. Being a mere carpenter’s mate, they trust me more than you pseudo-officers.”

“What sorts of things?” Viktalia turned and looked at him. “About who? Visiel?”

“Oh, no no!” Siran chuckled. “At first, most of them were rather afraid of the big metal guy, but now... they seem to appreciate having someone willing to swab the decks for eight hours straight, and someone that can carrying two of those huge cargo barrels at the same time. Nothing about him... only two people. You, and Cecil.” Siran enjoyed the momentarily look of confusion, then the darkening of her face as one implication of what he said came to her mind.

“They think... gods no...”

“No! Not that!” Siran laughed. Though I would die a thousand deaths from laughter if that were true! “There’s two different things I wanted to tell you that I overheard. First, the crew thinks you’re a godsend, though there’s been some wonderings as to when they’ll get to see that performance...”

“They want a performance?” Siran once again enjoyed the emotions coming from her, this time glee. “Well, we have been at sea for an entire week... and I do want to give them a performance... hey,” she suddenly stopped. “You don’t have that lascivious look in your eyes that I expected!”

“You aren’t human.” Siran executed an ornate mock bow. “Thus, you are free from my designs.” Count yourself fortunate... I know many clerics of my order that would have no qualms about chasing down a creature as yourself, human, elven, or goblin...

“Yes, whatever,” Viktalia grinned, her golden eyes shining in the moonlight. “Now, what do they say about our good friend Cecil? Were they upset at his calling the bow of the ship the front?”

“Oh, that wouldn’t be the place to start.” Siran said, his voice lacking as much mirth as his friend. “He called the masts the ‘ship’s poles,’ the ship’s keel its ‘wood spine,’ and it’s deck a ‘floor.’ Though, I don’t think you realize how deep this ‘upsettedness’ goes.” Sailors as superstitious by nature, and the sea is an unkind mistress...

“Oh.” Viktalia’s own mirth quickly ended, and her voice dropped to a mere whisper. “That hate him that bad?”

“I overheard some of them praying to St. Porus that they won’t be taken before their time on account that their captain has not learned the ways of the sea,” Siran said. To his surprise, Viktalia did not look at him askew, as he expected. Most ‘landlubbers’ had little idea of the culture of sailors and their views of St. Porus, their patron.

“So they feel their captain doesn’t respect the traditions of the sea?” she said slowly, and Siran nodded. Her face grew very grave. “So are they talking about...”

“I’ve heard rumblings, yes,” Siran nodded darkly. When St. Porus... the god Neros to the uncivilized, becomes offended by a ship’s captain, he’ll take vengeance on the entire crew... “’Better to rid oneself of an anchor, than sink to the bottom of the sea,’ they say.”

“That bad?” Viktalia said quietly, causing Siran’s eyebrows to raise. She knows more of the sea than she lets on...

“They want Lieutenant Kaled as their captain... and unless something is done soon, I am sure things will reach their breaking point, very very...” He suddenly stopped in mid sentence.

What was that? From the side of the ship, where normally there should be the lulling wash of waves against wood, there instead was a slight noise... a scrape, a scratch. When Siran looked up, he saw Visiel had turned from his position at the bow, and was already stalking towards one side of the vessel...

What was that? Visiel asked at nearly the same time as Siran, his own ears picking up the scrapings and scratchings. He turned his head slightly, and listened again, his mind rushing pieces of information together, searching his memory for anything that sounded like this. Only a moment later, he had come to a conclusion.

“Something is climbing up the sides of the ship,” he said, his deep metallic voice now a hissing whisper. Something equipped with claws, which is causing the scraping as it grips the wood to climb. Old thought patterns, long unused, now rose to the front. Immediately, Visiel pointed to the starboard side of the ship, then raised two fingers. Two enemies, that side. His hand the slashed towards port, then raised a single finger. One enemy there. Three altogether. His eyes then flashed up towards Viktalia and Siran, who nervously continued to look at both sides of the ship.

My companions are confused as to what to do. I must give them direction, Visiel thought, a finger flashing towards each, then pointing towards the port side. I do not know their combat abilities in a concrete manner, though I suspect the priest of St. Heraclius can fight. Together, the two of them should be able to handle one of whatever is climbing up the side of the ship. For a moment, Visiel considered his rifle, before leaving it on his back. There was not enough time or distance, so instead the warforged reached for his massive warhammer, its hammerhead pitted and black from the acidic magic it had been treated in.

Someone should alert the rest of the crew, Visiel thought, before looking at the ship’s bell. Lieutenant Kaled said I should ring the bell if something goes wrong. He then looked back at Viktalia and Siran, and quickly decided that since the cleric could likely fight, Viktalia should ring the bell. A finger lashed out towards her, then towards the bell.

When she nodded, Visiel expected her to dash across the deck and begin ringing the bell madly, but instead she got a strange grin. She reached into her cloak and in a flash, she had a crossbow out, dropped into an aiming crouch, and fired a single bolt.

The ship’s bell clanged, loud and hard, and from down below, Visiel could barely hear the sounds of a crew coming awake, the noises of the alarm spreading.

Creative, Visiel mused, Adaptability on the battlefield is always good. She could be far more useful than I originally thought, he decided, just as his eyes caught sight of a clawed hand reached onto the railing. While a less trained sailor might have struck the hands, Visiel waited until an ugly, reptilian head, fins and gills spreading from its neck, peeked over the railing.

With all the might his metallic 500 pound body could muster, Visiel brought his warhammer down on the creature’s skull. There was a large crash, as the creature’s head disappeared in a spray of blood and bone, its clawed hand suddenly letting go only seconds before its remains splashed into the sea...

“Sahuagin!” Siran called, his spiked chain already out from around his waist. He’d heard Visiel grunt, as well as the crash of the warhammer hitting something, but he had no time to look. In front of him, the port side sahuagin had leapt onto the ship’s deck, its claws outstretched and mouth wide.

There was a flash, a loud crack, as Viktalia whipped out her pistol and opened fire, yet in her hurry, she missed the creature entirely. Without thinking, Siran lifted the chain high, and began to slowly swing it around his head, faster and faster as the creature eyed him warily.

“Ah... you don’t want to play...” Siran said, hoping to goad the creature. Some of these bastards understand Common... let’s see if this one does and if he wants to play... It growled at him, baring a mouth full of fangs as it circled. Siran watched its movements, until somewhere in his mind, he recognized the creature pause for just an instant. He flicked his wrist forward, and the spiked chain lashed out, snagging the creature by the shoulder, slashing part of its neck, then whipping it over the edge of the boat. It landed in the water with a splash, its angry cries of pain echoing in the night.

Siran immediately dropped his chain, and fell on his knees on deck. Visiel said there were two... and he took care of one. I don’t want this one coming back. He closed his eyes tightly, and began to murmur a prayer. ”Saint Heraclius, I ask thee to intercede with the saints of nature for me. Your humble servant sadly cannot swim like one of these sahuagin, creatures that this servant knows you despise as abominations. I pray that instead that the creatures of nature would help rid us of this one abomination, cleaning their water as we clean your world...”

No thundering voice from on high answered Siran’s prayer, but somewhere deep inside, the cleric felt a calming presence. When he opened his eyes, he immediately looked towards the still screaming sahuagin, just in time to see an immense shark from the deep swallow the hapless monster whole.

Visiel waited patiently. This one saw what happened to his friend. He is trying to be clever. He waits. So will I. He could see two clawed hands holding onto the edge of the ship’s deck, sliding back and forth slowly. Yet Visiel waited, with infinite patience. You may drop back into the sea from whence you came, or you can leap onto deck, and I will send you back by force...

After another minute, just as Visiel heard the noise of the crew clambering up from below onto the deck, the sahuagin leapt over the railing, a snarl on its lips. Just as it landed, Visiel spun his entire massive body, putting all the weight and force behind his swing. The massive hammerhead caught the sahuagin in the belly, and the creature sailed over the railing and for another forty feet or so, before its crushed body landed in the water with a splash.

As the crew oohed, aahed, and gasped at the spectacle, Visiel pulled out his cleaning kerchief, and calmly cleaned every speck of blood and bone from the hammerhead. Afterwards, despite cheers from the crew, he quietly walked again to the front of the ship, to continue his watchful stare out to sea.

====================================================

Lady Rowena is yet another NPC... I got the original idea for her from King Baldwin's character in Kingdom of Heaven[/]i, including the debilitating disease and the silver mask. Now, as to what she can do, and how this relates to the party... that comes up more in the second session...

The sahuagin were a test run, to see how this party measured up, and they turned out to be a little more powerful than I guessed, hence their easy time dealing with the targets. With this known, I'm now modifying some later challenges that they will soon meet. ;)

Last edited:

Well, here's a pleasant surprise. :) I hadn't expected to update so quickly, but dragnfly, who plays Viktalia, kindly made a rather long writeup, which I've integrated into this post. Its rather easy to tell... she wrote most dealing from Viktalia's performance on, and is an excellent writer on her own merit. :)

Mutiny on the Black Joke

“Okay... Rolles, you cut the piece too large!” Siran growled, before looking at the sailor in question. The young man was still learning the ropes of how to be a carpenter aboard ship, and it was early morning. Patience hasn’t worked yet, maybe putting some fear of the saints into him will! Siran focused his gaze into the fiercest, angriest glare he could create, and folded his arms. “Now, what should we do about this?”

“Um... resize it?” the young man said, obviously frightened the display of anger from the ship’s carpenter.

Good... now I have his attention...

Siran was about to instruct the hapless fellow on how to resize the replacement rib for one of the water barrels below when his own thoughts were interrupted.

“Rapp!” Kaled’s rough-hewn voice rumbled from behind him. In the week they had been at sea, he’d learned to discern when the sharp cracking voice was meant to only grab one’s attention, and when it was used in anger. This time, it was only for attention, and that the noise, all the sailors below decks stood at attention.

“Yessir?” Siran stood and turned, before saluting. Kaled was a Lieutenant, and not only that, but an officer he respected.

“Rapp, I need to see you for a minute, in my cabin,” Kaled said gruffly, waving Siran to follow. Siran clambered around the crowded lower decks, clambering around cannonballs, powder, barrels and cargo, until he reached the end of the lower deck, and the tiny rooms set aside for the commissioned officers and noncoms. Kaled opened a door at the end, and motioned Siran into his tiny room.

It was the largest of the rooms, but only eight by eight feet, tiny and cramped by the standards of anyone used to land. In one corner hung Kaled’s hammock, in the other, sat a small bench. The Lieutenant motioned for Siran to sit down, as he slid into the hammock and began to rock.

“Rapp?” Kaled said, twiddling his fingers as he rocked, “you’ve heard some things from the crew over the past week?”

Oh no... Siran thought... word of the rumblings has gotten out. Kaled is surely siding with the captain, and he’ll probably want me to rat out those who want to get rid of Cecil...

...great...

“Um... yes, yes sir I have,” Siran said guardedly.

“Things pertaining to the captain?” Kaled pressed harder.

“Um... yes...”

“And what,” the Lieutenant was suddenly propping himself up, looking Siran in the eyes, “are you planning to do about it?” His eyes flashed, and Siran realized that Kaled knew exactly what he had heard.

Great... he knows. Tread real carefully now, Siran...

“I... I don’t know what to do,” Siran lied. In all honesty, I wouldn’t mind dumping Cecil overboard. “I only started hearing rumblings of this yesterday... before the sahuagin attack.” At the mention of the party’s heroism, Kaled’s eyes seemed to light up, and he pushed himself upright.

“Hmm, well, let me tell you what I’ve heard,” Kaled said, rubbing his grizzled beard. “I’ve heard the crew, to a man, say they think that Captain Cecil Daod is a foolish landlubber, who is leading us to our deaths.” Kaled then pushed out of his hammock, then put his hands on his lips. “They say that he shows no respect to the traditions of the sea, and to save us all, he needs to be thrown overboard, to the mercy of Saint Porus and the Seven Winds.” He looked directly at Siran, his voice dropping to a mere whisper. “And I happen to think that they’re right!”

They’re right?! Siran’s jaw dropped. Kaled was the last person he’d expect to be a member of a mutinous plot.

“Pick your jaw up off the floor, laddie,” Kaled replied, “I have been a sailor long before I’ve been an Imperial officer, and I know the demands and penalties of Saint Porus. So if I need to throw the Captain overboard to save us all... I will. And I am not ashamed to say... I’ll need your help.”

“My help?” Me? Why me? Siran asked.

“Yes, your help... and the help of your friends...” Kaled said.

“...and since the crew holds us in such high respect, he’s sure that if we sided against Cecil, the crew would be unanimous, and the Captain could be tossed overboard with ease,” Siran hissed a few minutes later. “I told him I didn’t want to speak without talking to you and Visiel first... and he agreed to wait...”

Viktalia listened as Siran spoke, and then shook her head. There are so many problems with this... the least of which is simply tossing Cecil overboard...

...and besides, I can think of an alternative...

“I don’t think this course would be wise...” she said finally. “Firstly, the Baron seems fond of Cecil, and it wouldn’t be smart to toss his protege overboard when that is only a short distance away,” she pointed to the squat, huge hulk of the Baron’s galleon only a half-mile ahead.

“Point,” Siran conceded.

“And secondly,” Viktalia added, a devilish smile on her lips, “I think I can persuade the Captain to leave the vessel most peaceably...”

When Siran pressed, Viktalia refused to divulge any more details. Maybe later today, a performance might be in order... she thought with a smile to herself.

Siran found a seat on the far side of the ring of sailors. Most were chatting excitedly, sharing what knowledge they knew of the Fomorteran dancer.

“I heard that she even sang at the Red-Eyed Crow in Erelion!” one said, before his comrade shushed him.

“I heard her dancing is covered in magic, that wizards even came out of the room stumbling from the magical deluge!” another whispered.

Siran chose to keep his words and opinions to himself; leaning back against the bulkhead, he crossed his arms and stole a glance toward the other side of the ship. At the ship’s bow, Visiel stood staring out to sea, unwavering as a steel pillar. On patrol again,… , and that’s not the only thing he’s good at. Siran wasn’t the only one whose opinion about the warforged had gone up. Two sahuagin in just a few seconds…he certainly is a hell-of-a fighter

Soft “shhhs” and “ooohs” cut his thoughts short as Kaled and Cecil climbed up from below decks. Siran couldn’t help but give a soft snicker as he saw that Cecil was clad in so many frilly silks that his face could hardly be seen above all the ruffles. That man is deeply infatuated. Poor Viktalia; to have such a stupid oaf lusting after you.

Later that day, Cecil had done yet another heinous act in the eyes of the sailors. Imagine, cutting your hair and nails on the deck, in full view of the men, and then letting them drop into the sea! Siran snorted. Legends spoke that under every man’s pinky St. Porus stored a piece of good luck... to cut off your pinkie fingernail meant releasing all your good luck...

The sailor’s rumblings had risen again, and Siran had sworn that he saw several large brutes moving towards Cecil from behind has he did the deed, but Viktalia, who was up in the crow’s nest at the time, had glided down and landed spectacularly amidst the fermenting chaos and announced that that night there was to be a performance to end all performances. With a wink, and a smile, she had then whisked herself away below decks to prepare, leaving the crew distracted and quiet, and people murmuring quietly amongst themselves.

“I have heard that she was so popular that she attracted the attention of the great nobles even!” the first whispered again.

“Bah! Now you’re making things up!” his neighbor hissed.

Finally towards the front, old Kaled cleared his throat, quieting all twenty-three of the assembled crewmen. He stood at the front... it was likely if Cecil had issued an order to shutup, the crew would have merely ignored it.

“Tonight,” Kaled’s rough voice echoed over the decks just as the sun blazed red in the coming dusk, “we will be treated to a rare spectacle. Known as the most famous Formorteran dancer throughout the lands, may I present….Viktalia Starwynd!”

There was a few moments applause, before all eyes focused on the opening to the hold. Silence reigned within. A minute passed. Two minutes. The men began to fidget and Siran frowned. I know all about making an entrance, but this is not the time to be fashionably late… A second later, the soft ringing of bells chimed through the air. At its noise, everyone grew silent and still again.

From the hold, the rustle of fabric could be heard. Bells chimed again, and above them, a soft crooning filled the night air, the notes ringing true in the air. Siran shuddered silently as the melodious sounds traced down his spine, a similar reaction falling across every man on deck. They all sat taller and straighter, eyes focused, mouths slightly open as the spectacle before them slowly unfolded. The wordless song rose and fell on the evening air as the rustle of fabric grew louder. Then, out of the hold, a shimmer of gold gleamed. Everyone leaned forward as one.

The tip of a long black ear rose slowly from the opening; its edges covered in small golden bells. The ear twitched, and a scale of golden notes fell out; matching the notes of the crooning song. Another moment, another rustle, and another ear appeared, twitching in counterpoint to its partner, the notes perfectly matching the song.

Siran forced himself to close his mouth and not be hypnotized by the beat of the song. He had forgotten…Viktalia didn’t play an instrument….she was an instrument.

A figure emerged slowly from the darkness below, but all that could be seen was the two ears, the rest of her seemingly covered by a great black velvet cape. Viktalia had her wings opened to their fullest extent, and holding them like two giant fans, they covered her body from head to toe.

The figure began to sway along the tune she was singing, ears twitching in purposeful rhythm. The deck was absolutely silent, no one dared move to risk breaking the beauty of the dance. Suddenly, there was a collective gasp. A glimpse of beige fur covering an elegant foot appeared at the bottom of the black winged curtain. Another instant, and more of the foot was visible.

In this chanting, swaying way, both legs were revealed so far up that Siran had a sudden thought that Viktalia was naked behind her wings That thought brought a rush of tangled emotions that were quickly banished when her next sway brought a glimpse of black and red fabric into view.

Viktalia’s dance began to get more complicated as she revealed more of her body. Bits of gold encircled her calves, also covered in bells, and as she moved her legs, the notes matched her song perfectly. She was revealed up to her waist now, twisting and writhing her body as the song became wilder, stronger. Suddenly, she was singing in a language that could only be Fomorteran. The words shone in the sun’s fading light as much as the bits of gold sown into her dress. Siran was suddenly reminded of a fox he had once seen in his youth. The animal had regarded him with laughing, wild eyes that promised adventure and freedom; the taste of a clear stream, and the joy of running beneath a star-strewn sky. All of the pains and pleasures of life were rolled up into that single promising glance.

Viktalia’s song had the same promise.

What a life these Fomorterans must lead… he thought lazily.

Viktalia’s dance brought her wings up higher, revealing a dress cut shockingly low, and the beginning of the curve of her neck. Surprisingly, Siran found that wasn’t staring at her cleavage, but at the dark fabric of her wings that hid her face. Another few moments and he was rewarded; the wings peeled back, and the long, strong lines of her fox-like face were revealed, golden eyes closed tight with love of her song, white star shinning in the middle of the dark mask across her forehead. She held her arms up high as the climax of the song rushed over them all, and then faded as the sun sank into the ocean. For a moment, the scene was carved in stone, then as one, the entire crew broke out into screams and cheers. Siran was among them, clapping eagerly and rushing forward, wishing he had some something to give the beautiful dancer, to make her notice him, to make her sing again…

Then that thought vanished, and he was himself again; and although the power of her song still clung to the back of his mind, he managed to not rush up close to her as many of the others were doing, offering everything to small pieces of jewelry to carved wooden statues. Cecil outdid them all and produced a box tied closed with a ribbon that contained a dozen fresh, not dried, pears. Viktalia seized one and sunk her teeth into it with a look of pure guilty pleasure. A few moments later, she opened her mouth, and Siran knew she was saying sweet nothings, working her magic, the same magic he’d seen many work over the eons.

Siran turned away and went to stand over by Visiel, who had turned from his vigil of the sea to examine the crowd with a slightly annoyed expression.

They are loud, and will hide the sound of any enemies’ approach, “Why do they fawn over her so? I have seen other humans acting the same way around females.” The warforged turned back to the sea after his comment.

“Women. The powers they hold.” Siran snorted and also turned his back on the ensemble, his good mood suddenly gone “You’re lucky you’re not human.” One minute you’re the happiest guy in the world, the next you’re a worthless piece of rat feces. To them, we’re just pawns in a game. He traced the wood grain beneath his fingers absently, thinking morose thoughts about his past experiences with women, when a sudden tap on his shoulders and a warm spicy scent brought his head around.

Viktalia stood only a foot away, her fur slightly damp from exertion, that sparkle still in her eyes. Siran was tempted to snap at her and walk away, but managed to only grit his teeth. “What do you want?” he hissed softly.

Viktalia was too energized by her performance to notice the icy tone in his voice, and merely tossed her hair back with a laugh. “Wasn’t that spectacular? I have to admit, I was a bit nervous about performing in front of such a demanding crowd, but I think it came out ok, don’t you?”

Siran stared at her. She honestly wants my opinion about her performance? How can she? That was the most enthralling thing that any of these men have every seen, surely she knows that? But Viktalia was looking at him expectantly, her hands clasped together, eyes shining. Siran managed a weak smile. “Yeah…it was great. Really…entertaining.”

He expected her smile to falter at his lame response, and inwardly prepared to kick himself for spoiling her good mood. Instead, he was shocked as she dipped her head and a tinge of color darkened the skin beneath her cheek fur. “Thank you. Your opinion means a lot to me.”

Siran blinked. “It…does?”

She laughed again, softly this time. “Of course! After all, you and Visiel here are the only two men on this boat who don’t want to get under my dress.” Her expression sobered. “I really appreciate that. It’s nice to have friends who aren’t nice to me only because they expect to get something in return.”

“Oh, here,” she continued as Siran continued to stare, reaching for a bottle that hung from her waist. “One of the sailors gave me this.” She handed the bottle to Siran, who uncorked it and took a sniff. “I don’t really like this stuff that much, but I know that you do.”

Formorteran brandy. So old that he could smell the cedar barrel that it had been matured in.

“From my great uncle’s stock.” Viktalia gave a sly grin. “He’s the only Chirop who aged his brandy in cedar; said it gives the drink a spicier taste.”

Siran took a sip and agreed; it was spicy, and it warmed him completely from head to toe. “Thank you.” He managed weakly, before his curious mind got the best of him. “So... what did you tell Cecil there?”

“Nothing much,” she said, “I merely told him that he was far too big a man to be stuck on a ship as small as this,” she winked, “and that he should see if the Baron needs him as a captain on his ship.” By her smile, Siran saw that Cecil had evidently taken to the advice as well.

“So why didn’t His Incompetence follow you over here? He seemed to be drooling a small river after your song,” Siran asked.

“Oh... he tried my first bottle of Formorteran Brandy...” her smirk became a grin. “It was slightly too much for him,” she motioned back towards the hatch, near which the deck was covered with the smashed ruffles of a drunken Cecil.

Impressive... far better than my solution, Siran said, before giving Viktalia a slight bow.
Viktalia gave a small bow and smiled up at him, and in her eyes he again saw the foxes’ promise. Lifting her arms, she beat them steadily, and with a twinkling of bells she flew up into the rigging.

Siran stared up at her for a moment. Soft notes began to trickle down from above, and he realized that the flying fox was singing again as she stared out to sea.

A troubled heart knows no peace
From the dark and poisoned pool
Expensive wine and cheap women
Are just another of life’s tool

You say that the spirit never dies
Though the heartbeat may grow dim
Live life in every moment
And you’ll never regret again

When the blazing night of fury
Meets the mornings’ shattered wind
There the cleric stands
And wonders when it ends

He took another sip of the brandy, “Women…” he murmured, and smiled, and silently saluted the singing bard. Madam, you probably saved us quite a bit of bloodshed today...

First Blood

Viktalia smiled, as a fresh southerly wind brushed against her face, and pushed the Black Joke further along its now westerly course as the morning sun gently pushed away the last of the fog that surrounded them the night before.

A week before, a fresh wind had also hit the ship, when the former captain, Cecil Daod, agreed (under Viktalia’s advice) to leave the pinnace and request a post on the Baron’s larger galleon. Of course when Cecil had invited her to his cabin the day of the transfer, Viktalia had expected him to make some untoward advances, so she insisted they drink Formoteran wine... another suggestion the starstruck loon had agreed to. Of course the alcohol hardly affected her, but Cecil had become pliably unconscious, and was transferred by Visiel’s arms to the other vessel with ease.

Kaled, of course, had immediately stepped in, and had been given temporary promotion to Ship’s Captain, a change the crew greeted with enthusiasm, and as a result, the positions of the various ship’s officers had shifted. While Viktalia was still Quartermaster, Siran, as the officer with technically the most sailing experience behind Kaled himself, had been bumped up to First Mate.

“G’morning, ma’am.” Viktalia’s earrings jingled as she turned and nodded to the sailor who respectfully touched his head as he walked by. The word had spread among the crew that she had been the one to persuade Cecil to leave, and while her position remained the same, her own reputation had risen immensely.

She turned back to the early morning sea, watching the wisps of fog steadily burn away, her eyes lazily scanning the distance. Visiel the previous night had been stationed on watch, and after a long stretch, he had grown bored. Kaled had sent the warforged to work helping Siran do an inspection of the ship’s hold, so now Viktalia held the all important watch for other ships.

We’re close to Kandor... but then again, we haven’t seen any other ships since leaving the Erelion Straits, she thought. Their last sighting had been a small flotilla of Imperial Trade Galleons headed towards Erelion itself, their forms low in the water, their holds likely full of spices, treasure, and rare magical items from the New World. Kandor likely had vessels nearby... its coast was only a hundred miles to their south. But until this fog burns completely away and we can see the horizon again... there’s no chance that we’ll...

She stopped in mid thought, as her eyes caught something far in the distance... a tiny speck of white, standing out against the background of gray. Excitement built in her as she looked again, then grabbed a telescope and looked yet again. Snapping it shut, and barely containing her glee, she shouted across the decks...

“Sail ho!”

The entire cadre of officers on board the Black Joke had gathered around Viktalia a few minutes later, with Kaled passing the telescope back and forth between himself and Siran. After a third look, the squat seaman gave a grunt.

“She’s a cromster... a small trade galleon,” Kaled grunted, before adding, “she’s turning away from us already, and loosing full sails.” Kaled then ground his teeth back and forth, a sign Viktalia had already learned meant that the grizzled sailor was thinking. “So the Baron’s galleon has to beat upwind to turn towards us?”

“Yessir,” Viktalia replied. I’m not happy about it either... our big guns won’t be with us... The galleon would take ages to turn because of the wind... by the time it swung around, the ship in the distance would be long gone... and probably running to the nearest Kandoran warship to tell them two Imperial ships were nearby.

Kaled growled, and ground his teeth a little more, before his old eyes gave a flash. He’d made a decision, and turned to the navigator manning the ship’s wheel.

“Helm! Bring us about, west by southwest!” he barked, before starting to move towards the quarterdeck. “Mr. Rapp!”

“Sir!” the cleric snapped to attention, in a manner so sharp that it surprised Viktalia. Siran showing discipline? I know he’s ex-Navy, but...

“I understand you’ve commanded gun crews before!”

“Yes sir!” Siran seemed to swallow. Viktalia remembered him saying he’d commanded the guns on his last assigned ship during an emergency, but never as a permanent assignment.

“You’ve got the gun crews on deck! Ms. Starwynd!”

“Sir!” Viktalia brought herself to attention, trying to calm her raging emotions... her initial dread being replaced by excitement A battle! THIS will be a story to tell! And its a merchantman too... it should be an easy, fun take... She immediately started to think of ballad titles, and only with difficulty kept her attention on Kaled.

“You’re to go to the foredecks, maintain observation! Understood!”

“Sir yes sir!” she saluted, dashing towards the bow. Quickly she was back at the extreme bow, excitedly looking through her spyglass at the other vessel, as Kaled barked orders for the pinnace to hoist full sails, and began its pursuit.

An hour later, Siran found his attention split between watching the fleeing merchantman, and watching as Visiel and several crewmen physically hauled 9 pounder cannons into position. As enticing as watching the cromster grow closer and closer as the smaller and faster pinnace overhauled the bigger merchant, watching the warforged eventually won out. As Visiel shoved the last of the port guns out of their gunports, Siran gave a grunt.

“Why do you grunt,” the warforged said finally, “when I push?”

“They look heavy,” Siran replied with a smirk. You sure are helpful, he added mentally. Probably saved us half a minute with running out the cannons there. The former ship’s carpenter then turned, and waved towards the quarterdeck.

“They’re out and ready, captain!” he called.

“Range, Mr. Rapp?!” Kaled called back.

Siran squinted, and looked in the distance. The cromster still had full sails flying, and no flag rising in the wind. If she was an Imperial or Kubalian ship, she would’ve raised her colors in acknowledgement. She’s either Kandoran or Leesian, whichever doesn’t make any difference. Both are legal prizes...

“I’d call it three hundred yards, sir!” Siran called back. Rather far, but if we fire a few blasts across her bow, maybe her captain will get spooked and just heave to instead of continuing this pointless chase...

“Excellent! Fire when ready!”

With surprising speed, the nimble Black Joke swung around, presenting her four port guns towards the fleeing cromster. As the first cannon came to bear, Siran heart beat faster in his chest, as he shouted the order:

“Fire!”

One by one the cannons bucked and recoiled, their thunderclap blasts echoing across the sea. For a moment, the sea was obscured by smoke from the four guns, but within seconds the Black Joke had pushed beyond the smoke pall. Siran squinted, looking hard, before his eyes found what they wanted. As expected, the cromster wasn’t badly damaged, though Siran could see a part of her quarterdeck had been shot away by one of the cannonballs.

“Yes!” he yelled, as he watched the cromster’s sails started to furl, and she looked like she was starting to turn about...

Viktalia saw the ship turn as well, though with her telescope, she wasn’t nearly as excited.

They’re running around on deck... and dragging crates onto deck as well. Why would they be hauling their cargo on deck? she asked herself, looking more closely as the ship slowly turned around, ceasing her flight. Either they’re going to dump their cargo overboard, or...

Her thought stopped, when she saw a man run to the back of the merchant ship, something in his hand. A few seconds later, the orange and red flag of Kandor was slowly climbing above the merchant’s deck.

Why are they hoisting their flag? she thought, growing more concerned. She turned, and looked behind the pinnace... in the distance, the Baron’s galleon slowly was closing, but he was still far, far off. I don’t like this... She turned back to the cromster, and watched as suddenly dark holes seemed to appear all along the sides of the merchantman.

What are those... are those...?

“They’re running out their guns!” Viktalia called, her excitement and expectation changing to fear as she counted the dark holes appearing on the sides of the cromster. Eight gunports... they outguns us two to one, she gulped. Now it was obvious why they ran up their colors, why they had turned around. From the aft poopdeck of the ship, the orange and red flag of Kandor rose steadily, till the wind caught it and snapped it out full. They mean to fight... Suddenly the prospect of a fight did not seem as exciting or enticing as it once did... and fear began to grip the Formoteran more accustomed to warm fires and hearths than cannonballs flying above her head.

Viktalia, what did you get yourself into?! she railed to herself. She’d watched when the Black Joke’s guns had fired and bucked, and the approaching ship had easily double their guns... the image of a cannonball headed for her head filled her mind.

Viktalia... you’re an officer now, on a ship! What did you THINK would happen? another part of her mind shouted. This a privateer! You knew this! This is excitement! She took a deep breath, and carefully counted the dark spots again.

“They’ve got sixteen guns, easy!” Viktalia added a few moments later, covering the fear in her voice. Maybe Kaled will swing us away? Maybe we’ll run back towards the galleon?

“Aye!” Kaled called back, before he shouted another command at the crews to turn towards the Cromster and close range. It exposed the Black Joke horribly to being raked, a shot that would send cannonballs careening down the entire length of the ship, but it decreased her cross-section and closed the range between the pinnace and the cromster. In a stand-off firefight, the Black Joke was outgunned enough that her chances of winning were small. If she closed, she could possibly board, in a win or lose all gamble...

Just as the pinnace began to respond to the helm, the cromster lit up, bright flashes running down her flanks as he guns opened up, one after the other. Less than a second later, the loud claps of cannonfire assaulted her ears, and instinctively, Viktalia ducked low to the deck. All around her, the air seemed to come alive, as if a swarm of roaring bees flashed just over her head, then just as quickly, the air took on an unearthly calm.

Slowly, the bard opened her eyes, then uncovered her ears. The sea gently lapped below, a soothing noise that was immediately interrupted with the shouts of orders and barking of commands. She turned, and saw the ship’s deck was not a sea of broken splinters, the crew with their heads, many laughing now.

They must have missed us... she realized slowly, her mind slowly understanding why the crew was laughing as they loaded the guns and manned the sails, and despite the eight cannonballs that had just whizzed over their heads. She looked up towards the sails, and only saw a single, large hole. Lucky... she shuddered, her agile mind imagining what could have easily happened...

“Visiel!” As the smoke from the cannonfire drifted away, Kaled rumbled through the smoke towards the warforged.

“Sir?” the warforged turned, training and honed background roaring through his mind as he was already unslinging his rifle from his back. He looked directly at his commanding officer, despite wanting to immediately check the range on the cromster. I must give Kaled my full and immediate attention. Anything less could result in confusion of orders.

“Visiel! You said you are a good shot?!” Kaled yelled above the noise and din of sailors reloading cannon and shouting orders.

“Yes sir!” Visiel replied, with a sharp salute. “At a range of 800 feet, I have been able to consistently log direct hits on a man-sized...”

“Go to the bow, and if you have a shot on anyone on their deck, take it!” Kaled shouted. “Especially their topmen! Take them down, before they can begin taking pot-shots at our decks!”

“Yes sir!” Visiel executed a precise, proper salute, just as a musketball whined close to their head. The topmen on the cromster were already at work.

“And if you can, take out some of their officers! The more of their people we take out, the longer it’s going to take them to reload those guns!” Kaled shouted, ducking as another ball whined nearby, slamming into the deck with a crack.

“Sir, yes sir!” Visiel saluted again, before his eyes immediately dropped to his weapon. Barrel is clean, he coolly observed, before flipping the weapon to examine its wheel-lock firing mechanism. Wheel turns, he confirmed, before reaching a paw towards his belt, and pulling out the matches that the weapon used to fire. While shouts and screams went on around him, he carefully examined each match, making sure it was dry. Finally satisfied a few seconds later, his lumbered past the hurrying crew, before taking his position at the very bow of the ship next to Viktalia, his keen eyes searching the enemy ship as it slowly grew closer and closer.

Immediately, he spotted something. Four men in the crowsnest. Likely armed with a rifle. Topmen. He squinted for a moment, picking out one of them... the man was busy loading his gun. Range, 400 feet. Visiel rested his elbow on the railing of the ship, his stance shifting slightly as the pinnace rocked up and down through the waves. Coolly he drew a bead on his target, and squeezed the trigger, and his gun let loose a loud crack, covering his view momentarily with smoke.

“Damn!” he hissed when the smoke cleared. Visiel was not given to cursing much... it seemed to offend some humans, something Visiel did not want to do unnecessarily. However, he would curse to himself sometimes... and this was one. He grunted in frustration as the topman he had been aiming at tumbled into the sea.

A mere shoulder hit! the warforged complained to himself, as he rapidly went through the motions of attaching a new match, and loading his rifle. He was better than that, and he knew it. That topman could be rescued, and pose a future threat! I must have underestimated the wind. He took aim yet again, this time at the topman who was still staring into the sea where his comrade had fallen. A mere 20 seconds after his rifle first fired, Visiel’s fun flashed in anger yet again. The second topman’s head disappeared in a red mist, and his body fell onto the cromster’s deck.

That is the proper wind elevation, Visiel thought, rapidly reloading yet again. The third and fourth topmen had finally lowered their own guns. For a moment, they were obscured in smoke, and Visiel ignored the sharp crack only inches from his head where one of their bullets had slammed into the pinnace’s railing. Instead, he shifted his aim downward, towards the quarterdeck of the enemy ship, and picked out one man with a feather in his hat.

High ranking humans have feathers in their hats. Killing him could disrupt their chain of command, keeping them from firing rapidly.

He squeezed the trigger, just moments before the Black Joke began her fateful turn to port...

“Run out the guns!” Siran shouted, while he almost simultaneously directed Heraclius’ aid from the deep to attack the sailors in the water, one after the other. The gun crews gave a shout as they dashed across the deck to the starboard side, pulling on the winches that hefted the big 9-pounder out of the gunports. Siran himself dashed towards the edge of the ship’s deck, peering through the gunsmoke, as bullets whistled about.

Where is she? He could hear the slosh of water against the cromster’s hull, the shouts of her crew as they desperately tried to reload their guns. They’re reloading even as we look. Twenty agonizing seconds passed by, until finally he saw a huge, dark shape loom in the gloom.

“Fire as she bears!” he cried, repeated the order he’d heard so often aboard the frigate he last served on.

Once again, the four cannons bucked and recoiled, the blasts so loud that they came to Siran as a dull whumph. The noise was so deafening that despite the cromster being mere hundreds of feet away, he couldn’t heart he cannonballs shattering the cromster’s hull, or the screams of her crew as two of the cannonballs flashed across at deck level, shattering limbs. The only noise he heard was the loud crack and groan of the cromster’s mizzenmast as it shuddered, then finally broke, after taking a direct hit, followed by the screams of its sailors now stranded in the water... their screams growing louder as the huge shark Siran summoned bore down on them.

“Turn her about!” he heard Kaled shout from the quarterdeck. “All hands, prepare for boarding!”

Visiel’s gun bucked yet again in his arms, as yet another officer on board the cromster fell. A moment later, he heard Kaled’s order, and checked the distance between the ship’s once again.

Two more shots, he realized, before boarding. The warforged peered through the smoke, and with mechanical precision, evaluated his targets. There are no more humans with feathered hats... after the first two were eliminated, the others removed their hats. But they are still issuing commands. He swung his rifle around, and took aim at one gentleman who seemed to be screaming at the gun crews on the cromster’s deck.

Gun captain. High priority, Visiel thought, taking aim and squeezing the trigger. When the man’s head snapped back at an unnatural angle, the sailors around him immediately turned, eyes wide, towards the metallic monstrosity that was already calmly reloading his rifle.

Head shot. Kill, Visiel mentally recorded, as more bullets whizzed by his head. Somewhere behind him, he heard the dull, wet smack of a bullet slamming into a person. He heard Viktalia gasp as a sailor fell dead, but Visiel’s mind was far too focused.

Next target, he swung his gaze across the rapidly closing deck of the cromster, officer without a hat. The man was waving to the gun crews. He is encouraging them to reload faster. Visiel took aim, and yet another crewman on the cromster was downed, a bullet between his eyes.

“Viktalia,” Visiel announced simply in a bland monotone to his friend nearby, “you need to ready your knives. We are boarding.” Rapidly yet precisely, he replaced his rifle on his back, and drew his vicious warhammer.

“Okay,” was the response he heard from his friend.

Her voice is wavering. She is afraid, I think. I should raise her morale. He turned back to Viktalia. Her eyes were wide, and he could see fear, but Visiel saw fear being harnessed, not fear ruling her heart. Yet if he were able too, he probably would have frowned.

“Why do you wield a stick instead of a knife?” his metallic voice rumbled about the sloshing waters of two ships rapidly drawing closer. “A knife is a more proper weapon for this situation!” A stick will not cause the same level of damage as a knife...

His eyes were quick enough to catch her thumb sliding along the length of the baton, as well as watching her push a small part of the stick inwards. There was a soft pop as the end away from her opened, and a three foot long piece of steel wire shot out, landing on the deck with a thud...

...and despite the imminent fight, Visiel gave a deep, rumbling metallic chuckle.

“You are full of ambushes!” the warforged rumbled with delight. A truly useful comrade! Steel wire like that could easily cut a man, and with that length, it is as useful as a sword! An ambush! Excellent! The chuckles finally changed into all out laughter.

As the two ships finally crashed together, the crew of the Kandoran cromster was greeted with the scene out of their nightmares, as a giant metallic monolith lumbered onto their decks, an immense warhammer in hand, while deep, throaty laughter rumbled from his throat...

A New Ship

“That was fine work! Fine work!” the voice of the Baron boomed and blustered as the longboat pulled alongside. It took several moments for the ornately clad Baron to haul himself onboard, but when the three could see his face, it was beaming.

The fight had been short, and brutal. The sight of an immense metal giant boarding their ship had taken so much of the fight out of the cromster’s sailors, that their gunfire on the boarding party was mercifully inaccurate (DM’s Note: The DM threw this die away after the game. No die that rolls seven 2s in a row deserves a DMs love. :) ). After the aborted volley, the crew of the Black Joke had gone to work, Visiel’s warhammer crushing several ship’s officers, while Viktalia and Siran made impressively short work of the few cromster crewmen that tried to attack them. In his report only minutes earlier, Kaled had described the boarding as lasting “only thirty seconds or so.”

“Bullish work!” the Baron slapped Kaled and Siran on the shoulders, before patting Visiel. He started to slap Viktalia, till he reached for her hand, and bowed elegantly to give it a kiss. “Best damn piece of sailing I’ve seen in a while!” he laughed when he stood back up.

“Yessir, thank you sir,” Visiel said. If he had been able, the warforged would have beamed. My commanding officer is pleased, and our engagement ended successfully! My marksmanship was accurate, and even improved! He felt like flexing his muscles.. it had felt good to give them the exercise of ripping through some enemies, and earning compliments from a commander... that was the highest praise Visiel could hope for.

“Now, Lieutenant Kaled has informed me that he plans to hoist his flag on the new ship, and take her to Tarnpool for repairs.” Visiel looked over towards the grizzled Lieutenant, who nodded at the Baron’s words. “That means,” the Baron grinned, “that the Black Joke will need a new captain!” He looked at the Visiel, Siran, and Viktalia, before he suddenly turned towards Visiel.

“Sir?” the warforged asked, confused. Why does he look at me? Does he assume I can be a commander? Visiel felt something welling up in him, something decidedly not pleasant. Warforged did not have exact copies of human emotions, but Visiel knew the tinge of fear. I am not designed for a command position! I am designed to execute orders given to me!

“Visiel, I would like to ask you to accept command of the Black Joke, as well as an official promotion to Lieutenant in the Imperial Navy,” the Baron said, snapping into a stiff pose and saluting.

“Sir... I...” The commanding officer has given me an order to accept command! But I am not capable of command! Conflict raged in the warforged mind for several seconds, before finally, his metallic voice churned out a rumbling reply.

“I incapable, sir.” Humans do not like their orders refused. I should offer a reason, and an alternate battleplan. The Baron began to open his mouth for a retort, but Visiel continued to speak. “I am...” he searched his vocabulary for a proper word, “unequipped for such a deployment, sir. I would offer an alternative battleplan, sir, that would make either Siran or Viktalia captain of this ship, sir. Such a battleplan would allow a capable officer to lead, and let me serve where I am most useful as well.”

For a moment, the Baron’s mouth hung wide open, and Visiel’s heart sank. I have offended my superior. I did not mean to. Then, just as suddenly, the Baron turned towards Viktalia, and to the warforged’s surprise, she vigorously shook her head no before the Baron could even say a word.

“Hmm... Mr. Rapp then,” the Baron said, by his voice still a little taken aback that two people would refuse command. “You have some experience as an officer... and I certainly hope you’ll accept command of this vessel, considering the refusal of the two previous offers...”

“Sir yes sir!” Siran cried, his grin wider than a forty-gun frigate was long.

He is my new commanding officer, Visiel realized, immediately reshuffling the hierarchy in his mind. He takes Kaled’s place under the Baron. He is competent, if obsessed with drinking and mating. The warforged paused for a moment, before turning to Siran and giving a salute. He will make a good commanding officer.

“Good,” the Baron replied, by his face relieved. “Now, as you know, it is considered bad luck for a non-warship to have her captain change vessels, but retain her name. So,” the Baron motioned to the damaged cromster, “Kaled has decided that the cromster will take the name Black Joke. So now, Captain Rapp,” Siran grinned even wider as the Baron mentioned his new title, “What will be the name of the vessel you’re inheriting?”

“Um...” Siran stopped, then turned to the assembled crew, minus three of their comrades killed during the action with the cromster. Even now, the Baron was sending over enough sailors from his galleon so the two vessels could have skeleton crews, but they’d have to recruit new sailors. For a second, Visiel could have sworn he could see his comrade swell with pride, before Siran finally said, “I think the crew should decide!”

“The Bloody Siabrey!” one crewman shouted obscenely, while others called for their own preferences, some serious, some whimsical, some vicious, some inspired.

Why do the humans care so much for the names of their boats? Visiel wanted to grumble. Regardless of its name, it is the same vessel as before... except that we now have four more guns we commandeered from the cromster. What name it is given makes no difference...

Finally, Siran raised his hands, and pointed at Viktalia.

“I suggest the Spotted Pinnace,” the young woman said... and immediately the entire crew exploded into laughter. Once the bedlam had ended, Siran turned towards the surprised Baron, and with a flourish, announced that was his choice.

“Very well,” the Baron said a few moments later, after he was able to remove the surprise, and childish look of hidden giggles from his face, “from now on, this vessel shall be known as the Spotted Pinnace, under the command of Lieutenant Siran Rapp, His Majesty’s Imperial Navy! Attendant!" he turned, and barked, "fetch me the proper papers!"

=====================​

Let it be known, Throughout the Realm, that
Siran Rapp of the good vessel HIMS Spotted Pinnace
and all those of the said’s crew, as well as the said’s men-at-arms, servants and retainers, hath been authorized by his Imperial Majesty’s Government to carry this
LETTER OF MARQUE
Charging them to act against and attack the
KINGDOM OF KANDOR
and the
KINGDOM OF LEES
and all vessels, possessions, and settlements thereof. His Imperial Majesty’s Government shall be entitled to fully one-half share of the profits thereof, in return for lending support and aid unto Sir Siran Rapp and all retainers, servants and men-at-arms of said, in return for their aid in destroying the vessels and possessions of the enemies of His Imperial Majesty.
As commanded in the Six Hundreth and Fifteenth Year after the Triumph over Darkness:

BARON RAFALE DICE
Commanding Officer, HIMS Silver Hart
WITNESSED BY:
Podris Kaled, Lt.
Commanding Officer,
HIMS Black Joke

===========================================

Yeah, the boarding combat wasn't really worth posting. :) Besides... it moves us all closer to the far more interesting second session.. :)

The first session was a test mostly of the rules, as well as how powerful the party was... and by the time Visiel got done with his sniping work, as well as Siran with his directing the guns, there wasn't much left on the cromster to fight. I rolled a morale check for the crew (Visiel's player pointed out that they'd probably be terrified of a big metal giant boarding the boat after the battering they'd recieved, and that was the first "2" the infamous die rolled. For the crew that didn't panic, it rolled another slew of "2s" on their attacks... while Visiel critted and quadrupled the hitpoints of hte poor ship's quartermaster... so yes, they are now sailing on the seas on their own ship, named the Spotted Pinnace, free to wreak havoc (which they promptly set about doing...)

There's an update ready to post to this SH... except my ISP decided this weekend was a good time to conduct "upgrades" to their network... so I have no internet (at home, anyway, which is where the type-ups reside). So, as soon as either a) they get the internet fixed, or b) I get my hands on some disks to copy the files over, updates will resume (by tomorrow at the latest).

Internet fixed... new reply! :)

A New Crewmember

“To the new captain!”

“To the captain!” Viktalia echoed, a rather lopsided grin on her face. She knew she’d had probably too much to drink, but nonetheless, she downed her cup of Formoteran brandy with the polished elegance of an expert... after all, she could remember spending days with her family on the home island brewing the sweet liquor.

At least I don’t stumble around and fall like these poor people, she thought as one of the ship’s crew waddled past her, swaying enough that his grog sloshed out of its cup. Across from her, Cecil was not nearly as lucky... he was openly and drunkenly oggling her again... that alone would be easy enough to just ignore. Kaled was fast asleep next to Cecil, and the Baron was loudly slurping down his brandy after the toast.

The party celebrating the capture of the Kandoran merchantship, her own promotion, as well as Siran’s, had dragged on for a bit, and she flicked a look towards the bow of the ship, where Viesel still stood, resolutely looking out towards the sea. He’d volunteered to stay there and keep watch, though she thought she’d heard him mutter something disparaging about humans poisoning themselves.

“Dear friends, new captains,” the Baron stood and swayed, “The hour is late, and... I daresay... we are all very drunk.” Hoots, hollers and loud cheers came from the crews of the now three ships in their small flotilla. The Baron raised his hand. “After such merrymaking and delightful music...”

You mean that horrid attempt at the harpsichord, Viktalia mentally corrected the Baron. She’d been surprised to lean the Baron had dragged a harpsichord into his flag cabin, and been appalled at how horribly he’d pounded the poor instrument in the name of making ‘music.’ The noise had been bad enough to give her a headache... one that had taken almost two hours to go away.

“It is time to go to bed...” he stumbled, and had to grab the table with his hand.

After a few minutes of unsteady rises and a few tumbles, the various officers and crews on board the Silver Hart made their way to their destinations. While Viktalia walked normally, despite the slight tingle of tipsiness, Siran, now Captain Siran of the Spotted Pinnace, had stumbled about the deck, singing an old ballad completely off-key.

“Madame Viktaleeya?”

Oh no, Viktalia groaned under her breath on hearing Cecil’s slurred voice. Not again. Being a performer meant she’d had her share of amorous fans, and she already dreaded where this road could lead. He was off of her ship, but Cecil was still a superior, and from the looks of things, still had the Baron’s ear...

“Yes?” she forced herself to smile at the bumbling, openly leering Cecil. Saints above, let this be a quick and painless rejection...

“I zhink...” he started, trying to point at her, “zhat you might need zum assistanze,” he said slowly, as if each word required some monumental effort to conjugate properly. He turned, and rather drunkenly waved his hand, and from the crowd, a young man pushed forward.

He was simply clad... no more than a white linen shirt that looked like it was carefully looked after, some baggy, somewhat torn pantaloons, and no shoes. A pair of spectacles were perched on his rather long nose, and a shy grin on his youthful face.

“Zhis here is...” Cecil began, before his eye started to roll back. The lieutenant caught himself, and managed to sputter out, “You ‘splain, Hrik. I’m off to sleepies!” With that announcement, Lt. Cecil Daod, His Imperial Majesty’s Navy, fell to the ground in a stupor.

The young man spun around, and worriedly looked at Cecil, before looking back at Viktalia. Before he could open his mouth, Viktalia had cut him off.

“Don’t worry. He’s usually like that,” she smiled, before putting a hand on her hip. “Now... what can I do for you?” Probably was supposed to be introduced to me by Cecil... and I bet the poor kid’s scared out of his mind. He’s probably going to take several minutes to stutter his way through...

“Hi! I’m Hrik! I’m from Caladronis, and my dad was a sailor! I’m the assistant to the vice navigator on this ship! What’s your name? Cecil knows you! Which ship are you on? Whereyouincombatyesterday?” A sudden tornado of questions and words tumbled from the boy’s mouth, once he was assured that Cecil was merely sleeping off his brandy. For a few moments, the salvo of noise took Viktalia aback. Then, the bard finally raised her hands, until the young man just as suddenly went silent.

“Please. A little slower,” she smiled. What does he want? I can’t understand half of what he’s asking, let alone get a word in...

“Cecil assigned me to be the new navigator for the Spotted Pinnace! You are the First Mate of that ship, right? I heard she’s the small pinnace in the fleet, imagine that! What kind of jewelry are you wearing? That reminds me of my mother’s jewelry! She was a...”

“Ah...um...” Viktalia tried to interject, until she finally forced her hand out and grasped his. “Yes,” she said once the young man was silent again, “I’m Viktalia, First Mate of the Spotted Pinnace...

“Oooo! What’s that? Is that an iron golem? I’ve never seen an iron golem before! Who owns him!” The young man’s jabbering continued as he ran over towards Viesel and started running his hands all over the warforged’s metal casing.

“Hm?” Viesel turned, slow and ponderous as an elephant would turn when being harassed by a moth.

“What are you? Are you an iron golem? If so you are the strangest looking iron golem I have ever seen! Who made you? When did they make you? Ooolookattheseetchingsonyourmetaltheyaresoornate!”

Why do some humans constantly talk? No, this isn’t talking... it’s noise. Viesel grumbled mentally, annoyed that his watch was being interrupted by the little runt before him. He frowned, but the incessant barrage of questions continued, and Viesel grunted again. I guess I will have to deploy my tactic to make humans be quiet. With ponderous gentleness, Viesel’s huge left hand reached over Hrik’s head, and grabbed the jabbering man’s skull. Almost immediately, Hrik gave a squeak and went silent. Satisfied, Viesel let go.

And the thunderstorm of protests broke.

“Whydidyoudothat!? That hurt! You aren’t no golem! You’re a meanie! You coulda crushed my head! Viktalia your golem tried to attack me!”

“I didn’t attack you at all,” Viesel tried to correct Hrik, but the young man’s squeals drowned out the warforge’s voice. If I hurt this cadet with my squeeze, this cadet needs to conduct more physical training.

“Yes you did! You wrapped your fingers around my head! It could’ve hurt really...”

Silence filled the air when Viesel’s hands clamped around the young man’s head yet again.

Perhaps this cadet has learned? Yet when Viesel let go, the storm of protests erupted again, and yet again Viesel gently grabbed his head. This time, there was no silence, the iron fingers of the warforged only serving to muffle the shouts and screams of complaint.

“Um... Viesel?” the warforged heard his friend’s voice, and slowly he turned to look at Viktalia, and gave a grunt of surrender. She wants me to release him. Knowing what a commander wants before the order is issued increases efficiency. So I shall do as she is about to request. Before she even asked, Viesel let go of his head. After a second’s pause, Hrik resumed his noisy and constant protests.

“Whydoyoukeepdoingthat?! Stopitithurts!”

“Perhaps,” Viktalia said quietly, “we could do something more effective to shut him up.”

“Please, Viktalia. Command him to be quiet,” Viesel asked with a somber metallic groan. She is a commanding officer! Why doesn’t she just issue an order to him to stop making this noise!

“Hrik! Hrik Hrik Hrik...” Viktalia waved a hand in front of the young man, finally getting his attention away from the warforged that had accosted him. “Hrik... listen. You’re a navigator, correct?”

“Assistant to the Vice-Navigator on board the Baron’s ship! At the age of 18! They said that by age 20, I could be a vice-navigator! Then maybe a navigator of a ship of my own!”

Why does he give a larger answer than his commander requests? Viesel groaned. That was inefficient. Commanders should always receive succinct, complete answers from their subordinates... no more, no less. Anything else compromises the unit’s ability to react in combat situations!

“Yes, we know Hrik. Bravo,” Viesel saw Viktalia roll her eyes, a sign of annoyance. “Listen, I have several maps back on board the Spotted Pinnace that need a navigator to examine them for accur...”

“Yes ma’am! Right away ma’am!” Hrik gave an excited salute, “Show me where these maps are ma’am, give me an inkwell, and they’ll be corrected in an hour!”

“Well, there’s many maps...” Viktalia said, and Viesel could hear the hopefulness in her voice that the corrections would take longer than an hour. Before the young man could unleash a torrent of words again, Viesel took the initiative.

“It is late,” the warforged said, moving towards the longboat now being loaded with the last batch of officers and crew headed towards the Spotted Pinnace. “If you wish to examine the maps, cadet, you should start immediately. Otherwise, you will miss your rest, and be inefficient tomorrow.”

Viesel concealed a smile when Hrik, fairly bubbling with excitement, made a scramble to get on the boat.

“Ah... silence is golden,” Viktalia said an hour later, sighing with pleasure. Underneath her feet, the familiar deck of the Spotted Pinnace rolled slightly in the night, and amidships behind her, Hrik sat cross-legged, the only noise coming from his lips being muttered curses and hissed corrections as he flashed through all the ship’s maps.

Glad to see that Hrik isn’t in danger of becoming Viesel’s punching bag, Viktalia thought, watching the young man pour over maps incessantly, his pen dipping constantly in its inkwell as he made constant corrections to the ship’s charts from memory.

“You know, you and Hrik are rather alike,” Viktalia turned towards the warforged next to her and smiled. Once back on his own ship, Viesel had immediately resumed his watch of the sea. Her smile grew bigger at the mechanical man’s look of confusion. “You both need something to keep busy!”

“With all due respect,” Viesel replied in a seemingly emotionless voice, “I cannot harass you as much as Cadet Hrik does.”

Was that defensiveness in his voice? Viktalia wanted to ask. It seems as if our warforged friend CAN get a little riled up... She smiled at the thought.

“Of course not, Viesel.” She looked back out towards the ocean, grinning.

Siran opened his eyes, and immediately felt the thundering of a hang-over slamming his brain. He closed his eyes again, only to have the noise of a ship’s crew busy at work assault his eardrums. With a groan, he resigned himself to having to get up.

“Good morning, sleepy-head,” Viktalia teased as Siran climbed on deck, the sun attacking his eyes with thousands of spearpoints of light, the jingling of her jewelry and trinkets sounding like war-drums in his head. He grimaced towards her, as mentally several choice curses went through his head.

“Bah,” was all he managed to verbalize. I haven’t had good brandy like that in a long time... I guess it went to my head faster than I expected! But Viktalia kept right up with me... why didn’t...

“Now, Captain,” Viktalia smiled when she used Siran’s new title, “I realized you’d probably wake up late, so with Viesel’s help we’ve taken care of several problems. Our new navigator has also proven quite adept at shipwork in general, and we have him and the crew busy doing final inspections before we head underway.”

She can be really bureaucratic, I guess, Siran rubbed his head. The sun was bright.

“And the Baron informed us he wants us to drop off our passenger at Tarnpool,” her cheery voice continued, “the nearest port. Kaled will accompany us to get final repairs done to the cromster. So, I’ve taken liberty to get some of the fruit that was stored on Kaled’s new ship sent here, along with some additional food supplies and a few replacement men.” Viktalia stopped, put her hands behind her back, and smiled viciously.

“Show off,” Siran growled, and finally the Formoteran laughed. “How are you not feeling like a thousand cannons are going off in your head at once?”

“I was raised around Formoteran brandy,” Viktalia smiled sweetly, “therefore, I have a...um... resistance to its effects?”

Siran hissed a few quiet curses, and the bard laughed again.

“I shall leave you to your recovery, sir,” she said rather impishly, before heading off to some other task.

Note to self... Viktalia makes a good first mate, but can rub things in a bit, Siran thought, eyes squinting as he headed towards the ship’s railing. The sea wasn’t as bright as the sky. Maybe if he stared at it for a bit, his eyes might adjust some.

omrob

First Post
Yay! Sea Shantiez!!!

I love a good sea tale, so far, Im diggin it.

We all keep waitin for the Jester to run a Sea game (most of Cydra is all ocean) so thanks for providing the vicarious sea adventure fix.

More more and more - will be read by me.

Now off to your other SH.

RAN

Short update:

Lady Rowena

Later that day...

Viktalia walked about the deck of the ship, proud at her planning and foresight. I knew Siran was going to be down for the count, and everything's running fine still! Maybe I can do good at this assistant captaining thing...

For the first time since the battle with the cromster, she also noticed the white shrouded form of Lady Rowena once again on the railings of the ship, looking out towards the sea.

She is a guest, Viktalia thought, watching her as she stood motionless alongside the ship. A passenger... she needs to feel welcome... and I don't have much to do now that everything else has been taken care of...

...I shoud go talk to her. Make her feel at home, a bit.

“How are you?” Viktalia asked, drawing alongside the shrouded woman. She hasn’t been that talkative lately... and I think I had a connection earlier to work from... “It looks like you made it through the battle the other day just fine.”

“Yes... that tends to happen when one hides under one’s bed when the cannons fire,” Rowena replied a little lighter than Viktalia expected. She turned, her eyes bright behind her silver mask as she looked at the bard. “So I understand you are now the First Mate on board this little ship. Congratulations are in order.”

“Thank you,” Viktalia said with a graceful bow. She’s in a far more talkative mood today... good. “So... what out to sea is attracting your attention? Mermen?” she offered with a smile.

“Unfortunately, no,” Rowena replied with a sigh, before she turned her head upwards towards the sky. “Something is brewing in the weather... I can feel it. Today and tomorrow will be fine,” she pronounced, the brilliant sun reflecting brightly off of her silver mask, “but the day after tomorrow...”

“Um... pardon my curiosity, but... how do you know that?” Viktalia asked. I only know of clerics and archmages that can predict the weather... and even then, they can’t see beyond a day in the future...

“The sea speaks to me,” Rowena said quietly. “I am a Speaker of the Sea, I speak on the behalf of all its creatures, above and below.” At Viktalia’s blank look, the she explained further. “I am a sea druid, just as my mother was before me, and her mother before that. We commune with the waves, act as intermediaries between the god of the sea, and men on land.”

“So...” Viktalia asked, confused, “the sea itself is a god?”

“According me and my faith, yes... the god Neros, the one who guides the storms and waves,” she made a tracery in the air with her hands, in a shape Viktalia didn’t recognize. When Rowena turned back to the bard, her eyes were almost glowing. “Neros is the sea incarnate, its depths married to the clouds above, the great fish merged with teh birds above... in short, life and power itself. Though other humans,” she waved her hand dismissively towards Siran, “dismiss Neros as a mere ‘Saint.’”

“Saint Porus of the waves?” Viktalia asked, and Rowena nodded.

“Yes... that’s the one. Though sailors are a superstitious lot, so I imagine your friend probably conducts some rituals towards Neros without even realizing it.”

Viktalia frowned, her curious Chirops mind trying to make sense of what she’d just learned. “So...um... how’d you fall into this faith, if you’re a human noble?” I thought the human nobility were very keen on following their saints...

“I come from a place where the old faiths still live,” Rowena replied, once again looking out towards the sea, “where the gods that many have forgot still live and breathe. Just as my mother and grandmother before me, I use my gift to help my people... Tarnpool is little more than a fishing village, and the villagers rely on our guidance to know where to set their traps, and where to find the pearls that line the nearby ocean bed.”

Viktalia was surprised when the conversation continued until several hours later, as Rowena fully opened up to the young bard. Rowena’s father was the local Baron, a rather impoverished noble, and the town survived on fishing and pearl diving. She had a younger brother, the future Baron of Tarnpool, whom she was eager to see on her return. Yet her initial words hung in Viktalia’s head, and even as the bard, heady with excitement at finally breaking through Rowena’s isolation, went towards Siran, she remembered the druid’s words about the coming days.

“So she worships the sea itself?” Siran asked, eyebrow raised after Viktalia stopped him, and the bard nodded.

“She’s a Speaker of the Sea!” the Formoteran fairly giggled with excitement. They only tell stories of these people in my home! To see one alive, in person, just as one sees the caretakers of the Awakened...

“Thank Saint Porus,” Siran replied with a sigh, his eyes flashing out towards the sea again. “Saints know, we have so much bad luck to...”

“So,” Viktalia interrupted his thought, “I thought you worshiped Heraclius, and all the Saints? She worships Neros, a god of the sea incarnate... isn’t that blasphemous to your Saint Porus, or Heraclius, or whoever?” I don’t understand human religion... I don’t pretend to understand it, but their arrangements of gods and saints and holy people are just... confusing! She winced a bit after the words came out of her mouth... humans were also very touchy about their faiths, yet another difference between humans and her own people, and she was filled with a sense of dread when Siran turned back around.

“You’ll find very quickly, Vikatalia, that us sailors really care little from whence our luck comes,” he said simply, his voice surprisingly devoid of any anger or distress. “Our Saints are forgiving, when we look elsewhere occassionally,” he added with a wry, sad smile, before the wry smile changed to a smirk. “So, what’d she have to say? Anything good about me?”

“Nothing about you,” Viktalia grumbled, “but something that might affect your ship. She claims she feels something coming in the weather tomorrow, or the day after. So my question is...”

“Get Visiel and Hrik,” Siran said simply, “and lets have them go over the ship top to bottom, looking for any cracks and leaks. If she’s a sea druid, and feels something like that, we could be in for quite a storm...”

“Whoohoo!” Siran yelled two days later as the Spotted Pinnace rocketed up the side of a large wave, before charging into the gaping trough before the next wave struck. From his perch, gripping one of the ropes holding the mast firmly to the ship’s side, he could see the great whitecaps caused by the storm. He’d seen far worse... this was nothing more than a light gale... but things were far more fun since he’d had a days notice to check the ship over, and fix all the small leaks caught by Hrik’s brilliance and Viesel’s patience. Amidst the rain, he heard a muffled noise from the ship’s deck, and turned to Viktalia with a grin.

“You like this?” he asked the pale looking Formoteran. When she looked back, her gold eyes looked glazed over, as she struggled to keep balance.

“I’m going to be sick,” she mumbled, pitching backwards as the ship climbed another wave.

“Well, here’s the side of the ship!” Siran pointed eagerly towards the foaming waters below his perch. If she fell in, it wouldn’t be that hard to grab her... or call on St. Heraclius to send a creature to grab her.

She looked up at him, and for a moment, her eyes flashed a bit of anger behind their sickness.

“Show off,” she mumbled.

Last edited:

Well, dragnfly (who plays Viktalia) typed up a lovely update... so I felt obliged to rush mine so hers can get posted. So today, there are two updates for the price of one! :) (Celestial Empire will recieve the next dose of attention...)

Tarnpool

Viesel squinted the following day, at the bow of the ship. The night before he’d spent looking the ship over again, and now he was eager to focus on his new activity.

That is not good... the warforged thought, watching the smoke in the distance. Something is burning... Quickly he bellowed for Siran and Viktalia. Fire is never good... commanders are needed. And if that fire is the town we are supposed to be headed towards...

Even as Viktalia reached the bow of the ship where Viesel stood, the warforged had already drawn out his rifle, keenly scanning the horizon.

“What is it?” the bard impatiently asked, until Viesel motioned towards the thin wisps of smoke in the distance. She fell silent, and Viesel’s voice rumbled out his own thoughts.

“Someone is burning something large... Something larger than a ship,” the warforged added. Towns are big enough to make large smoke clouds like that... perhaps someone reached Tarnpool before we did?

As the hours drifted by, the smoke cloud grew larger as the two ships drew closer to its origin. Slowly land came into view, and Viesel heard the ship’s passenger crying. That alone confirmed his suspicions... it was Tarnpool that was burning.

Even as he made that realization, Viesel saw, far in the distance, two small skiffs, coming from the harbor of the small burning town...

***​

Someone was very thorough in attacking this town, Viesel realized a few minutes later. Most of the town itself wasn’t damaged, a sign that whoever had come here was in control of a disciplined force, one that carried off only what it was told to, and left the rest alone... a fear few human armies could match. Yet his military mind picked up the smoldering ruins above the town as the remnants of a log fort, likely with cannon emplacements. Someone came here with power... tens, if not hundreds of soldiers...

“Elves!” the harbormaster hissed, clambering with Siran’s help from the skiff onto the Spotted Pinnace. “It was the damn elves, may Saint Anias’ blade slice them in two!” His aged gray eyes shimmered as tears welled up. “Bless ye for comin’! Bless ye!”

“Who attacked you?” Viesel asked directly. A specific elf? A certain band of elves? Whoever they are, we should be aware of them...

The old man looked forlornly towards the smoldering parts of the town, as if he didn’t notice the huge metal behemoth standing on deck before him. “They took ‘em!” he wailed, “They took ‘em!”

“Who?” Viesel felt pressure at his side, as Rowena pushed by, asking the man again, “Who did they take!?”

She is panicked... that is not good, Viesel realized, without noticing the noble’s shuddering. The warforged ran through his memory, trying to find something that would fit this situation, and calm the Lady down, before giving up in frustration. If this were a battle, I could jump between her and the enemy, and crush the enemy’s skull! But there is no battle! Annoyed, Viesel started to rub his hand over the steel head of his warhammer.

“They took the Baron, and the young men!” the harbormaster wailed, tears coming to his eyes. “They came and they took my son, the damn slavers!”

“Slavers?” Siran asked, his face growing suddenly dark, as the sky blackens during the approach of a great storm. “Elven slavers?” the cleric asked, his voice far quieter, far more angry.

“Yes sir!” another man clambered on board from the skiff, and from his standing behind the harbormaster and his deference to the older man, Viesel guessed he was an assistant. “Three elven ships have been raiding us for slaves for the past month and a half... one large ship and two smaller ones! The Baron tried to resist the first assault with the local militia, but the damn elves blew up the fort with cannon on their ships! Cannon!

“Speak again,” Viesel said, holding his hand out, mimicking the gesture humans made when they wanted someone to slow down or repeat their speech. “These elves had cannon?” Elves are not supposed to have cannon. My former officers told me of this... it was agreed to by a treaty long ago...

“Yes! Big cannon!” the harbormaster added, “they just pulled up sail beyond the range of the fort’s guns and pounded it to pieces, then stormed ashore and carried off the Baron, his son, and all the militia!”

“How big were the fort’s cannon?” Viesel asked.

“MY BROTHER?!” Rowena screeched over the warforged question, and the harbormaster turned to her, recounting the tale of her father and brother being dragged through the streets to a life of slavery, and how the elves had returned every three weeks since, taking more townspeople as slaves. When the sad tale was done, Rowena stood motionless on the deck, tears running down her face.

She needs someone to cheer her up, Viesel thought, annoyed once again that he couldn’t help on that front. However, he focused his mind on the one way he could help. “How big were the fort’s cannon?” he repeated himself. This time, the harbormaster heard his question.

“Why... as big as those on your ship now... but the elven cannon were brighter in color, shinier!”

“Bronze cannon,” Viesel hissed, realizing what had done the damage. Same size, but longer range with more accuracy... Few human ship’s had bronze cannon, due to the expense, but an elven ship with such...

“What was that?” Siran asked, distracted by the crying as Viktalia put her arm around Rowena and comforted the poor woman.

“The elves have bronze cannon. They are no ordinary elves,” Viesel added darkly. “From that fact alone, sir, I can inform you that these elves likely had access to a great deal of shiny metal.”

“Money?” Siran asked, turning his full attention to the warforged.

“Yes, money,” Viesel said, picking up on the word yet again and storing it for future reference. “And they have minds for war, if they know to use bronze cannon.” And they are confident, if they have a clockwork schedule as this harbormaster says...

“When was the last time the elves came?” Siran asked the harbormaster suddenly.

“Two weeks ago,” the old man explained...

Kaled let out a sharp, pungent curse, its sound echoing over the wooden walls of his cramped cabin aboard the new Black Joke. His ship, along with the Spotted Pinnace had slid into the small harbor quay, and even now supplies were being loaded and unloaded.

“So they’re going to be back sometime in the next week, when we’re still sitting in harbor?” the captain gnashed his teeth together in anger. The new Black Joke had extensive spar damage from its seizure that needed repair... while the repairs weren’t complicated, they were best done in port and needed time... two weeks at least.

“Yes sir, if they hold to their schedule,” Siran replied, anger in his own voice. Elves! May all of them eat Veris root and die in their own piss!

It had been a long time since he’d seen the damage an elven raid could do. While the elves weren’t a single unified country... numerous princes squabbled amongst themselves all the time... their ships were sleek and fast, light on armament but designed and excelled at raiding... rapidly landing on-shore by a remote hamlet, forcing its inhabitants on-ship to be sold for slaves, and speeding home before any human navy could respond. If this elven ship was powerful enough to destroy a fort, yet still had the same speediness...

“Piss-pot!” Kaled swore again. “Elves?! Of all the bloody things that could be bloody tossed at us!” He swore sharply again using St. Heraclius in vain, something that did make the cleric stiffen up slightly. “And now you’re telling me they have bronze guns?!”

“Sir,” Siran heard Viesel say in his rumbling voice, “the harbormaster described them as being able to outrange the land fortress’ guns, and also described the guns as shining and bright, which your know, sir, that our iron guns do not do. That leads me...”

“Yes, yes, your logic, Viesel, is perfect!” Kaled waved his hand at the warforged. The hand then promptly returned to Kaled’s head. “It’s just... dammit!” He took a deep breath, then breathed out slowly. “We have how many crew?”

“Well, sir, we have twenty-two able and ready on the Spotted Pinnace,” Siran started, before Kaled held up his hand.

“We have too few. If those elves come back, and we’re caught in harbor, we’re dead. That’s it. They’ll sit outside the range of our guns and pound us to pieces! We’re going to have to sail out, and put to port somewhere else!”

“Um... sir? A point, if I may.”

Siran looked up, and saw Viktalia staring at Kaled. While her voice was calm and the same, quiet tone, her golden eyes shone with fiery anger. She’s upset about something... about the people in this town?

“Sir, we cannot leave these poor people behind,” she said, the tone matter-of-fact and cool, though Siran noticed her form beginning to tremble just slightly, as if some great explosion was being held within her small body. “You heard the harbormaster. They are defenseless against these slavers. Defenseless.” The final word rumbled from her mouth, as her self-control gave way.

“Well, Miss Starwynd, what do you propose then?” Kaled asked sharply. “That we sail out, battle flags high, and challenge the elves to a duel?!” the captain shouted, pounding his fist on the table. “Yes, I heard the harbormaster! Those elves have three ships to our two, Miss Starwynd! And not only that, one of their ships is larger than this one!”

“And they have bronze cannons, capable of outranging our...” Viesel began. Wisely, Siran kept his mouth shut, and just as he suspected, Viktalia cut both Viesel and the captain off.

“I know that!” she hissed. “I might not have as extensive a sailing record as you or Siran, but I’m not a dolt!” The last words were accompanied by an acidic stare, one that seemingly made Kaled wilt... and even Siran shudder.

I’m sure if metal could melt away, Viesel might right now too, Siran thought, clad the evil gaze wasn’t on him for once.

“We’ll need surprise, and stealth. When the elves return, what are the chances they’ll know our ship’s are warships? Little... Kaled, the Black Joke is a damaged merchant ship... a cromster! We’re a tiny pinnace! Chances are high that if these are slavers, they’ll probably be greedy, right?”

“Right,” Siran said aloud, a smile starting to form on his face. I know where this is leading... and I like it!

“Now... what can we do to keep their suspicion down to the maximum? Maybe the good Lady could provide a distraction?” Viktalia thought aloud. “Maybe we could lure them into the harbor, and board them? Maybe get the townspeople involved? If the elves have slaves aboard, they’ll be worried about those slaves getting free...”

“...and that’s where you come in,” Viktalia said hours later, to the gathered ‘topmen’ of the Black Joke and Spotted Pinnace. She scratched her ear impatiently for a moment, before turning to Viesel. The warforged nodded in reply, then moved towards the front.

“Now,” he rumbled, his metallic voice only the same pitch, despite the excitement in his mind. I have a command! A small command, under Siran and Viktalia... His inhibitions against promotion were far weaker, when he knew that directly above him, there was someone in authority... safety in hierarchy.

“You all are good marksmen,” the warforged said, “and you all should have rifles. You will be placed on the sides of the harbor,” Viesel pointed to the rolling land illuminated by the setting sun. He smiled in his mind at this part... it was his own contribution to the planning. “Together, the ten of you, along with myself, can put down some cross-fire... keep the elves heads low, so that Captain Rapp and Captain Kaled can lay down a broadside, then board the enemy.”

“And what of us?” the old harbormaster, now returned, asked. Alongside him stood members of the elite of Tarnpool, covered in ragged suitcoats and torn hats.

“We have a week. Before the elves come, you will assist Captain Rapp and myself in partially rebuilding that fort up there,” Viesel pointed to the ruins, “as well as adding more fire, if you can. How many weapons do you have?”

“Between the three hundred people left in town...” one of the leaders spoke, “maybe ten swords, several fowler hunting pieces, a few blunderbusses, maybe fifteen or twenty pistols, and quite a few farm implements.”

“A pitchfork to the eye will kill any elf,” Siran piped up, and a nervous laugh went around the deck of the ship.

“But... we’re lawyers, oculists, ferriers... we aren’t soldiers!” one of the men complained, and even as he spoke, he nervously fiddled with the spectacles on his nose.

“Your morale is low. It should be higher if you wish to fight,” Viesel said bluntly. They are saddened, and scared. They cannot be scared if they want to fight and win. For a second the warforged tried to think of ideas to raise their morale... but once again, he realized every idea in his mind came up short. They aren’t warriors... they won’t respond to my kind of encouragement. Yet... he thought, turning to Viktalia, they might respond to hers...

Remove ads