• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Highlander Endgame

DanMcS

Explorer
They're showing it on TV right now, I've never seen it before. Seems good so far, good fight scenes at least.

They brought back Methos for the movie- wasn't he killed in the TV series at some point? Did they explain that in the first 20 minutes that I missed, or just ignore it and move on? In a continuity as cockeyed as Highlander, it'd probably be better to not even bother to explain it, heh.

Dark Jezter

First Post
DanMcS said:
They're showing it on TV right now, I've never seen it before. Seems good so far, good fight scenes at least.

They brought back Methos for the movie- wasn't he killed in the TV series at some point? Did they explain that in the first 20 minutes that I missed, or just ignore it and move on? In a continuity as cockeyed as Highlander, it'd probably be better to not even bother to explain it, heh.

You got that right. Few continuites out there are as confusing and contradicting as the Highlander continuity.

Personally, I just pretend that the original Highlander is the only canon in the series, and the sequels are just works of fan ficton brought to the silver screen. It's much less confusing that way. :D

Green Knight

First Post
Yeah, Methos didn't die. He was right there in the series finale along with Joe Dawson and Amanda.

But anyway, I saw it on tv the other day, too. Adrian Paul was great as Duncan, and that part where he says "I love you, Connor" and then he cut off his head was really emotional. To bad Christopher Lambert looked like utter hell and didn't seem to be putting all that much effort into his acting.

But overall, though, the movie sucked. They did a terrible job of integrating the Watchers into the movie, much less explaining the rogue element within the Watchers who want to interfere with the Game. The villain was also lame as hell. Jacob Kell was nowhere near as impressive as Kurgan, or even Cain (sp?). He was just a silly villain, and it makes no sense why all those immortals were there working for him, and why they so willingly let themselves get beheaded by him (Except for that one chinese guy and Kate). It was also a convoluted mess.

On the plus side, though, at least individual scenes in the movie were great. I really enjoyed a lot of the Connor/Duncan scenes, and the Duncan/Kate scenes. I may get the DVD just so I can watch specific scenes, again, rather than the whole movie. I also liked that whole subplot with Kate, how he killed her to make her immortal, and that drove her nuts. They both had their valid points as far as their quarrel went. Yeah, he should have told her and let her decide. He shouldn't have just forced that on her like that. However, she should have gotten it through her head that no other immortal has ever had a choice in the matter as to whether they can be immortal or not. So in that regard she's no exception. Well, whatever the case, glad that was settled (Though from what I undestand, in the movie version Kell DID cut off her head. He didn't let her live like in the tv version).

All in all, I was disappointed with the movie. It most certainly is NOT the movie that one expected after seeing the trailers on the tv and in the theatres. However, it does have its worthwhile parts. I'd personally grade it as a D+, with individual scenes in the B range.

tleilaxu

First Post
Re: Re: Highlander Endgame

Dark Jezter said:

Personally, I just pretend that the original Highlander is the only canon in the series, and the sequels are just works of fan ficton brought to the silver screen. It's much less confusing that way. :D

Sequels? There were no highlander sequels. I know not of what you speak.

Orius

Legend
Green Knight said:
Yeah, Methos didn't die. He was right there in the series finale along with Joe Dawson and Amanda.

But anyway, I saw it on tv the other day, too. Adrian Paul was great as Duncan, and that part where he says "I love you, Connor" and then he cut off his head was really emotional. To bad Christopher Lambert looked like utter hell and didn't seem to be putting all that much effort into his acting.

But overall, though, the movie sucked. They did a terrible job of integrating the Watchers into the movie, much less explaining the rogue element within the Watchers who want to interfere with the Game. The villain was also lame as hell. Jacob Kell was nowhere near as impressive as Kurgan, or even Cain (sp?). He was just a silly villain, and it makes no sense why all those immortals were there working for him, and why they so willingly let themselves get beheaded by him (Except for that one chinese guy and Kate). It was also a convoluted mess.

(Though from what I undestand, in the movie version Kell DID cut off her head. He didn't let her live like in the tv version).

Yeah, Methos never died. He's like 6000 years old. He's been around so long he knows how to survive.

The Watcher subplot was also done poorly. Which is disappointing, because the Watchers are a cool element. But the plot felt like it was just sticking the Watchers in there so they could be in the movie. It was almost the same with Dawson and Methos.

Duncan was way better than Conor in the movie. Was Conor this depressed and angsty in the original, or was it just in this movie? And besides, Adrien Paul I think knew his role a lot better than Lambert. He did the TV series for six years, where Lambert did only 3 movies previously, including that abomonation that shall not be named.

Kell was a stupid villian. I've never seen the D&D movie so I don't know which one is worse: Kell or Damodar. He was a total loser, and there is no way he could be the biggest badass immortal out there. There were nastier guys in the TV series, one of the worst being Kalas, who was WAY badder then Kell.

And yes Kate did die in the movie originally. The bit with Kell leaving her alive was added afterwards.

Orius

Legend
Re: Re: Highlander Endgame

Dark Jezter said:

Quick question: how do you "There can be only one!" purists deal with the existance of the TV show? It would be a shame if you ignore it completely, because Duncan rocks.

Dark Jezter

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Highlander Endgame

Orius said:

Quick question: how do you "There can be only one!" purists deal with the existance of the TV show? It would be a shame if you ignore it completely, because Duncan rocks.

Well, since I've never seen the TV series, it's pretty easy for me to ignore it. ;)

Agreeing with Green Knight on his points about the plot, another thing that bothered me whenever I see the movie (having seen it in the theater, on DVD, and a few times on cable...yeah, I'm a masochist :p ) is the swordfight between Duncan and Kell where they actually re-show a fighting clip again half a minute or so after showing it the first time. Gah, that very obvious sloppy editing always gets me :mad:

Otherwise, it was difficult to believe that Bruce Payne could overact even more in this movie than he did in the Dungeons & Dragons movie, Connor looks pretty old for an immortal ;) , and the shameful under-use of Donnie Yen which could have been a really kickass (ie longer) fight.

Overall, the movie really should have been more streamlined and tighter plot-wise: it was all over the place trying to cover too many subplots.

However, still better than the abominations that were Highlander 2 & 3 :D

Remove ads