• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Highlander Reimagined?

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Okay, reimaginings seem to be the "thing" right now when it comes to movies. So, I was thinking that it might be a good idea to completely redo Highlander as a reimagined film franchise.

Throw out everything bad from all the previous movies and TV adaptations and simply redo the story so that it will work over a trilogy of films.

Start in the past, for the first film, and show how the "Highlander" comes to be. Then we move forward a few centuries for the second movie (perhaps turn-of-the-century). And only then, for the third movie, we fast forward to the present day when the prize is won.

Or maybe it isn't won? Maybe the prize is a lie told by ancient immortals who wish to weed out the worst of the young.

Anyway, I'm just putting this idea out there.

KF72

FYI... while checking out the Highlander (original) page on IMDb, I noted under the movie connections that there is a remake of Highlander slated for 2010. However, the information page for the remake is restricted to IMDbPro.

Orius

Legend
The Watchers are one of the cooler additions to Highlander from the show; unfortunately the last two movies handled Watchers very poorly.

And the flashbacks, at least the way they were done in the TV series, were usually done very well. I'm guessing the original Highlander handled them the same way.

The thing is, the last movie was going to try to revamp the Highlander mythology somewhat, but IMO, it totally whiffed. The whole idea behind the Source was pretty good,
that is the Source appears only once every few thousand years or so. An Immortal has to defeat but not kill the guardian of the Source, and then the Source gives the Immortal the chance to have (a) child(ren). But if the Immortal kills the guardian, the Immortal is cursed to take the guardian's place until the Source appears again. In addidion, none of the Immortals really know what the Source is about, so the ones who seek it out often turn on each other. There's a line in the movie where Duncan says to Methos the whole idea of the prize is a lie, and that was a very interesting idea that was unfortunately undeveloped.

But instead, most of the movie was filled with a few rather pointless action sequences filled with gratuitous Immortal combat, and a strange plotline about
the collapse of civilization
which seemed to do little more than conceal the fact that they had a very small budget and had to film it on the cheap in Lithuania or something.

I don't dislike the Source simply because I think it sucked; no I dislike the Source because it had the potential to do so much more, and it failed to do so in the hands of the people who for the most part did an excellent job with the TV series.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
Ok, how about this: This gift is that you're allowed to grow old and die a normal death. Thus, the immortality is a curse, not a boon, and the immortals chief desire is to not be immortal and not to have to play this game, and not have their life force sucked up by other immortals.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Ok, how about this: This gift is that you're allowed to grow old and die a normal death. Thus, the immortality is a curse, not a boon, and the immortals chief desire is to not be immortal and not to have to play this game, and not have their life force sucked up by other immortals.

Throwing out everything other than the first movie, I always assumed The Prize was mortality.

Orius

Legend

Meh, that ain't my fantasy. It's the usual sour grapes about immortality that always been bandied about in human culture: everyone dies, so immortality, could it ever be achieved, either leads to eternal boredom, or is attained only through the most evil methods, so thus dying is actually a good thing.

Taelorn76

First Post
I really liked the first movie and the TV series was very good as well. I would be really excited to see a reboot of the series

Just keep it to fantasy, the other films etc started to blow chunks when they tried to make it crappy sci-fi.

Much rather they did a good job of a "CASCA" story (if you want an immortal), than rubbish Highlander, again.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads