• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Historical castle maps?

JBowtie

First Post
I've been watching "Castles of Scotland" on our local TV, and it's got me looking for historically accurate maps or floor plans so I can stage some adventures.

I'm particularly interested in using Glamis Castle or Inverness Castle since they have reputations as 'haunted' locales, with bricked-up rooms and all. Does anyone have suggestions on finding reasonably accurate sources? Not necessarily the specific ones I mentioned; I'd probably be happy with a map depicting a 'typical' Scottish castle built in the 14th/15th century.

Slim

First Post
There's an old sourcebook from Palladium called "The Compendium of Weapons, Armour & Castles" which has several floorplans. You can try to find that.

bastrak

First Post
Pick an English Heritage (or similar Scottish or Welsh organisation) castle you feel would be suitable and buy the guidebook. If you don't want to visit the site they are usually available for mailorder by post.

The price is usually fairly low. There is virtually always a plan included in the guidebook and often detailed floorplans. You also get plenty of historically accurate ideas for filling the castle. I've used this method repeatedly and I find it works well.

Iron Sheep

First Post
This site has lots of floor plans of northern Scottish castle, plus illustrations of what they looked like in their prime. Most of them are fairly small, but I've found them useful in my games.

Caithness Castles.

Corran

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads