• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Historical European Weapon Equivalents

Cannyjiggit

First Post
Sabre? Would it be a scimitar equivalent or something else?

I would also class sabre as having scimitar game stats, single curved blade with a weighted back edge.
I believe I would also include a lot of Japanes/Aisian swords in the same category. Even the straighter edged versions were designed to be used with a cutting motion rather than a hacking motion like the European equivalents (you can still see the effect in the Asian martial arts where the attacker is starting to draw the weapon back before contact is actually made so as to protect the edge of the blade from damage - the Europeans would bury the sword as deep as it would go into the flesh and then draw back to cut even deeper). This was largely due to the scarcity of any good quality steel at the time. Aisian swords were ridiculously expensive when compared to European swords, I believe that a Japanes noble could arm and armour a hundred (or was it a thousand?) men for the same cost as a single sword. This also explains why there was little is any steel in the armours of the time and why the Aisian cultures valued the "family sword" so highly.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads