• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Historical Fantasy

DiamondB

Explorer
Supporter
Myself and a friend have developed a historical fantasy campaign world which has the aspects of fantasy fully integrated into it. If you're interested check it out here Terra Viejo. Most of the stuff on the web page is our adaptations for 2E, but there is a 3E players guide in pdf format there now. I've run a few campaigns in the world and did find a few issues, one being that D&D fantasy is a bit to high fantasy for a historical setting. As a result of the things learned I'm now in the process of redesigning many things (limited magic use being one) to generate a bit more of a historical feel.

Crothian

First Post
kengar said:
Mongoose's Slaine RPG is supposed to be based on Celts. I havn't read it so I'm not sure how "historical" it is.

It's set in Tir Nan Og, not Ireland. Fabulous book though. From what I know of their mythology, it seems pretty accurate.

mmadsen

First Post
We see all this traditional fantasy stuff, but I'd like to see more historical fantasy. I'm wondering what other people's thoughts on the subject are.
I think the "problem" with historical fantasy is that it most appeals to people who know some history or care about history -- and there aren't too many of us out there. I'd love to see reissues of the old historical supplements.

Aeris Winterood

First Post
Cool...

That is one area where I enjoyed the 2nd edition book of the month.... The Romans, Greeks, Heroes of Charlemagne.... I DMed a few campaigns in historical earth. Of course with a little bit of fantasy.. ok, alot of fantasy.

If Celtic history is your bag baby, check out books by Morgan Llewellyn (sp?) Red Branch, Druids.... Lion of Ireland.. excellent books for adaptation....

s/LaSH

First Post
My campaign's medieval Europe with a heavy, heavy dose of D&D fantasy injected into its veins. As I'm fond of saying, the campaign setting has more supplements and sourcebooks than anything ever published ever.

However, I play loose with history; it's really just a backdrop that I put up behind the vict- er, players. I don't even know what century I'm running in. And I made magic analogous with technology, which means no fireballs until the Renaissance. Or the PCs go to China.

For more info, I'm currently journaling the campaign as a webcomic. People seem to like it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads