History, Mythology, Art and RPGs

Jack7

First Post
Another superb set of entries Gall. By far the best and most eclectic historical and research thread on this site (and on many other sites on the internet as well).

Galloglaich

First Post
That is awesome. I think you might see a few similar moves in that last Polish ringen / fencing tournament video I posted, but nothing quite that spectacular!

G.

Galloglaich

First Post
Steampunk fans who like the Middle Ages never fear, found another cool Medieval Robot. An automata called the "Complementaurious", which was clad in a suit of armor and used to greet people with a complex series of movements in the entrance to the Merchants Guild Hall in Bremen, on of the most interesting of the Hanseatic cities.

This is the robot itself

150px-Complimentarius-face_Bremen-16th_century.jpg

Here is an article about it on French Wikipedia (for those who can read French)
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automate_mécanique

And this is his armor

150px-FockeMuseum-08-2.jpg

16th century Maximilian armour now exhibited in the Focke-Museum, the museum for art and cultural history of the state of Bremen. The armour belonged to the Complimentarius, a mechanical greeting-automaton that was installed from the early 17th to th

It's not hard to imagine how such a device could be made to cause trouble for Adventurers, particularly low level adventurers or in a low-magic campaign. Especially since we know of at least one Arab inventor from as early as the 12th Century who made programmable automata / robots (to play music). Detailed plans for which survived in a book he wrote.

G.

Last edited:

Jack7

First Post
Personally I adore examples of Ancient and Medieval ingenuity and innovation. I've never seen this robot before. Thanks for the post.

Remove ads