• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hit dice

paladinm

First Post
In OD&D (the LBB's), all characters used the same hit dice, D6. If you were a fighter, you got an extra +1 here and there; if a mage, you got a -1 here and there. I know it's unlikely, but is there any wisdom in going back to something similar? It would make constitution bonuses mean a lot more, and the HP disparity wouldn't be as great for a few levels.

OR..

Would 5e benefit by going to a hit-point-less system like Mutants and Masterminds?

Boarstorm

First Post
Ugh, no.

While the M&M system works just fine, Hit Points are quintessential D&D. Any other way of handling health (some of which are, frankly, superior IMO) just wouldn't be D&D.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Would 5e benefit by going to a hit-point-less system like Mutants and Masterminds?

Nope. And never happen, not as core anyway. Maybe as a variant in some 5e UA book, but hit points (like six ability scores, etc) are part of what makes D&D, D&D.

S

Sunseeker

No, I like the different levels of hit dice, even if we use a more "average" number like 4e did instead of rolling.

Dice4Hire

First Post
I say keep using all the funny dice. d4, 6, 8, 10, 12 and 20 should all be useful dice in D&D.

d5, d7 and such can be left by the wayside.

But yes, different dice for weapons and hit points is fine with me.

I almost wish they could balance the game in some way that you don't have to add your stats to damage rolls. I'd love for longswords to always do 1d8, not 1d8+17 (strength + enhancement + feats + power bonuses, etc.).

S

Sunseeker

I almost wish they could balance the game in some way that you don't have to add your stats to damage rolls. I'd love for longswords to always do 1d8, not 1d8+17 (strength + enhancement + feats + power bonuses, etc.).

It's be easy.

No levels.
No feats.
No powers.
Could prolly do away with stats entirely too. Just give everything a 50/50 chance to hit.
You would have "melee attack" and "magic attack", and you'd always fight the same orc(no really, he'd be like Squee and auto-revive after every death).

Dice4Hire

First Post

I think that is one of the main ways they balance fighters with swords and wizards with swords.

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
I say keep using all the funny dice. d4, 6, 8, 10, 12 and 20 should all be useful dice in D&D.
I think it's high time to bring the 'missing link' dice into the D&D fold; d14s and d16s. The former can be used to determine days of the week (half the total, round up); and the latter is great for determining starting age of apprentice level PCs!

I'm joking of course, but I do own a pair of d14s and d16s. And when it comes to rpgs, there's no such thing as too many dice!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads