• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hit Dice

paladinm

First Post
The OD&D LBB's specified the same hit dice type (d6) for all classes, with a few modifications. Fighters got another d6 every level (+1 hp at most levels); mages got another d6 every other level, +1 or 2 hp on the levels where they didn't a full hd; clerics were a straight d6. The only CON bonus given was for 15+, and it was only +1 hp/hd.

Obviously this makes for much fewer hp (and a more lethal campaign) across the board, but it also evens things out a bit between the classes. A 9th level fighter has a max base of 57 hp (9d6+3); a 9th level mage has a max base of 37 hp. Under AD&D, a 9th level fighter has a max base of 90 hp and a mage has a base of 36 hp.

Has anyone ever played under the old hd/hp rules? Any impressions?

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
One of the advantages the Fighter has in 3.5 is being a beefy meatshield that the more squishy Wizard can hide behind. The idea of greatly reducing the melee types HD and only marginally increasing the squishy caster types doesn't sound very appealing to me.

Treebore

First Post
The only reason PC's would need a lot of HP is because they have DM's who keep throwing as lot of damage causing monsters at them. Throw fewer at the party, the less damage they need to be able to take. Its a relatively simple numbers game.

I've wondered for many years now if DM's are the driving cause behind HP escalation, or just players afraid of losing their characters to just a lucky blow or two, or both. Probably both.

Personally I let my players be afraid and I do my best to throw just enough at them, rather than too much.

Going further with this, I find it funny how its the fear, and the resultant increase in adrenaline, that makes this game exciting, but so many seem to make the game less dangerous. Why? Its the feeling of danger that makes the game exciting. I don't want to play a "safe" game anymore than I want to read a book where it is impossible for the hero's to suffer and die.

Sekhmet

First Post
I think it is probably because people like rolling bigger die and dealing more damage. It's fun to see how high you can get the number.
However, it wouldn't make a lot of wizards happy for a good crit by a level 1 Fighter to be able to kill them.

Empirate

First Post
A CR 1/2 Orc deals 1d12+3 damage in 3.0. Which is tripled on a crit. A lucky crit from a lowly Orc can outright kill a 4th level character. So much for HP inflation.

Sure, in 3.5, Orcs are usually equipped with "lowly" Falchions as per the Monster Manual entry. But they've also got higher Str now, and what's to stop the DM from giving them Scythes? HP inflation only really had a negative impact on damage spells (which are not as viable anymore, since they weren't scaled up along with everything else).

Last edited:

Remove ads