• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Hit me again!" - Masochistic Classes/Prestige Classes

Satori

First Post
Hey folks,

About a year ago I played a Psychic Warrior with my former group. Several games in, we needed to "kill him off" for a few reasons.

So...I set about sticking him in front of the biggest monsters and the scariest BBEGs.

Every time he would get hit, the group would cheer.

Well...something weird happened after that.

I realized that I wanted to play a character that gained power (of some sort) every time he was struck in combat.

Unfortunately, I haven't found much luck in finding a character outside of the Crusader from Tome of Battle (Delayed Damage Pool + Furious Counterattack).

So, I need your help.

What are some classes or prestige classes that satisfy this requirement?

Any source, including homebrew, more than welcome.

Thanks folks!

moritheil

First Post
Satori said:
I realized that I wanted to play a character that gained power (of some sort) every time he was struck in combat.

Unfortunately, I haven't found much luck in finding a character outside of the Crusader from Tome of Battle (Delayed Damage Pool + Furious Counterattack).

So, I need your help.

What are some classes or prestige classes that satisfy this requirement?

While not a class or PrC, masochism (BoVD spell) and items made with the spell boost your damage based on the damage you take.

Stalker0

Legend
The dragon shaman has an aura that hurts others who attack him. I believe there is also an amulet in MIC that returns half the damage dealt to you to the person who attacked you.

Not the same as buffing yourself, but its a start.

Not really what you're after, but the Vicious weapon special ability is a +1 ability that deals 2d6 damage to whoever you hit in exchange for 1d6 damage done to you. I took it on weapon I had for my Barbarian since he had a metric tonne of hit points.

Olaf the Stout

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Here are a few to start you off:
- barbarian with the berserk alternate class feature from PHB2.
- blade of blood spell from PHB2
- crystal of rubicund frenzy from MIC
- vicious weapon property from DMG (edit: ninjaed by Olaf)

-blarg

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Karmic Strike feat, which allows an AoO when your opponent hits you is nice- especially when partnered with Combat Reflexes.

Aidan Milvus

First Post
I'm currently playing an Ardent (from Comp Psi) that is very close to what you're talking about. At first level I took the Life and the Pain & Suffering mantles. The P&S mantle has a special ability that I can expend my Focus as an Imm action to cause an attacker to take half the amount of damage he just dealt me. Then I got psicrystal containment which allows my psicrystal to hold a focus too. Later on I got get access to Hostile Empathic Transfer that transfers up to 25 damage I've taken to a creature I touch, and Empathic Feedback which deals up to 5 points of damage to attackers, or the amount of damage they dealt to me which ever is lower (both of which are pumpable). On the other side I'm a healer. I've got Empathic Transfer which allows me to take other's pain upon myself to heal them and a few powers to heal myself. He's turned out to be quite an interesting character to play.

Of course, I also have his AC jacked up, so he's not hit too often, but when he is, they regret it. It's backfired a time or two. Monsters can't hit me, so they go for easier targets, but he's not too shabby.

Satori

First Post
Thanks for all the advice, and please keep it coming!

To summarize (and keep people from repeating previous suggestions):
-Masochism (BoVD Spell): PERFECT!
-Dragon Shaman: Wrong flavor...but maybe a mechanic I can steal for a homebrew.
-Vicious Weapon: If I could find something that improved power with damage, then using a Vicious Weapon would compound the effect. Good find!
-Berserk Barbarian: Need to look that up.
-Blade of Blood spell: Need to look that up.
-Crystal of Rubicund: I'm looking more for class features, but I'll definitely check this out.
-Karmic Strike: I like the idea of getting a free hit whenever struck.
-Robilar's Gambit: Need to look that up.
-Ardent with appropriate mantles: This sounds cool. I'll have to check that out when I get back home.

Thanks again, folks, and keep it coming!

Remove ads