Hit Point Representation Poll

Do hit points represent the same thing in 4E as prior editions?

• Same as prior editions -- and that's a good thing.

Votes: 55 57.3%
  • Same as prior editions -- and that's a bad thing.

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Different than prior editions -- and that's a good thing.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Different than prior editions -- and that's a bad thing.

Votes: 13 13.5%

• Poll closed .

justanobody

Banned
Banned
No they do not and that is bad. They should not be called "Hit" points if they do no primarily involve being hit. :twocents:

Change the name of them, and it will likely change my opiinion, but that also requires changing damage and hit rolls as well.

JackSmithIV

First Post
No they do not and that is bad. They should not be called "Hit" points if they do no primarily involve being hit. :twocents:

Change the name of them, and it will likely change my opiinion, but that also requires changing damage and hit rolls as well.

A little bit picky, no? Technically, Human and Halfling are two different "Species", not "Races", but it's fair to say that gamers get the point. And hit points are only lost if an attack "Hits", so why not? Otherwise we have to start saying "effects" the enemy, and a 20 can score"critical effects", and that would hardly be heroic, no? ;)

justanobody

Banned
Banned
A little bit picky, no? Technically, Human and Halfling are two different "Species", not "Races", but it's fair to say that gamers get the point. And hit points are only lost if an attack "Hits", so why not? Otherwise we have to start saying "effects" the enemy, and a 20 can score"critical effects", and that would hardly be heroic, no? ;)

Not little in any way....but largely picky. If you come at me with something called "hit" and "damage" and they are talking about the potential for physical injury, they pretty much paint the picture without needing any words to back it up.

When you change those to mean something different, I want to ask why didn't you just use a more appropriate word to begin with?

Rather than trying to make a new meaning for a word, it would serve better to use a word already made to describe what you are trying to say.

Just look at what happened to "to-hit" rolls and the confusion many had with the whole bit in the past. Now they are "attack" rolls, and if your attack works you get to damage.

Same thing, just less confusing for some, like changing THAC0 and the direction of AC ranges.

Is the "heroics" in the terminology used for the game mechanics or what they represent and how it plays out in the game?

Remove ads