• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hit Points per Level

nightwalker450

First Post
I missed this regarding other classes, but the Sorcerer and Warlock get their Con Modifier per level.

Con Modifier per level, does not lead to lower hit point totals, personally I preferred the thought of Con Modifier setting your minimum dice roll, but now that appears to be half the dice (rounded up).

Hill Dwarf Fighter with 14 Con, taking their suggested Survivor Specialization:
Level 1: 20 HP, 9 HP per level.

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
I was talking with a friend the other day (also a DM) about house rules. He said that he does hit points like this:

1. Starting hit points = your CON score.
2. Hit points per level = 1 + CON mod (min. 1).
3. Toughness feat = +1 hp per level.
4. Favored Class = +1 hp per level.

It's not necessarily my cup of tea, but it works for him and his gaming group. Maybe this is something worth considering in 5E.

I think this was debated a lot from the last playtest document, but I honestly think that starting with HP+Con is too high at starting levels, and robs players of that kind of gritty low level fantasy that I used to love playing in.

For me, the balance of starting HP being based on the Max HD value (+ Con bonus) is emininently correct. These HPs can potentially be boosted by Feats, but the core starting value gives me the low level experience I like, at least.

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
I thought we learnt from 3E that Con mod per level was a terrible mistake. It is overpowering in comparison to your HD (ie: Wiz +1 Con has better HP than Rog +0 Con).

edhel

Explorer
2. Hit points per level = 1 + CON mod (min. 1).

This style puts way too big an emphasis on constitution. IMHO the first playtest package way of handing out random amounts (or set, evens out through levels anyway) of hp per level with Con only affecting how much stamina (self-healing) you had was pretty good.

Remove ads