• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hit Probability is a Slippery Slope

amnuxoll

First Post
So, this may be a given to you folks already but I think this is worth
spelling out explicitly: hit probability is a fundamental part of the game
and the way 4e handles it has big and broad implications for play.

Consider, if you will, a 1st level fighter. You give him an 18
strength. That combined with the proficiency bonus for his longsword
gives him a +7 to attacks.

What are the odds of your 1st level fighter hitting a bad guy
(vs. AC)? Well if you consider that most monsters will be about 2-3
levels higher and then you consult the DMG at the bottom of p.184 you
can get this answer: about 50%.

Now as the fighter gains levels he is sure to increase his Strength
ability at every opportunity. He purchases magical weapons with the
largest enhancement bonus he has access to. Basically, any reasonable
opportunity to increase your normal attack bonus he does it. You play
this PC all the way to 30th level.

What are the odds of your 10th level fighter hitting a bad guy?
Answer: About 50%.

How about 20th level? ... 50%

30th level? ... 50%

This isn't a huge surprise. It's what the WotC folks have been
telling us. But I think it's worth considering the implications, the
biggest of which is that PCs whose class grants powers that use
multiple attack modifiers are actually at a _disadvantage_.

Example: Paladin

About 1/2 the paladin powers are Str-based and the other half are
Cha-based. Obviously, you're going to want to build a paladin to
focus on one or the other. However, given the data above what you
should realize is that "emphasize" is the wrong word. You're going to
want to take nothing but one or the other.

Consider a 1st level Cha-based paladin. Like our fighter (above) he
takes an 18 in Cha to start. Let's say he also puts some points into
Str giving him a 13. (Paladins also need Con and Wis so a 13 Str is a
likely reasonable start with a 22 point buy.) At first level his odds
of hitting are as follows:

Cha-based attack: ~50%
Str-based attack: ~40%

Not so bad, right?

As the paladin gains levels you dutifully increase your Cha at every
opportunity and buy weapons with the highest enhancement accessible.
But you obviously can't afford to bump Str every time. So you bump it
about every other opportunity.

What are the odds of your 30th level fighter hitting a bad guy?
Cha-based attack: ~50%
Str-based attack: ~25%

See what happened? Every time you neglected Str you _PERMANENTLY_
lost a 5% attack probability. You'll never get it back. Even if you
do everything in your power to increase your PC's Str from here on
out, the best you can do is maintain your now dismal 1-in-4 odds. I
don't know about you, but in the middle of a battle I don't like
missing 3 out of 4 times.

The impact of this mechanic is really broad. Suddenly, the importance
of the Reliable keyword on the fighter's daily powers becomes
imminently valuable...perhaps even too powerful! Suddenly, the
advantage of the Elven Precision racial ability is very clear.
Suddenly, small tactical bonuses to attack rolls become really
important. Want to build a PC whose attacks hit better than 60% of
the time? Very difficult.

Consider the implications for multiclassing: If you use multiclassing
feats to access powers that you wouldn't normally get, you'd better be
careful to pick powers that use your best stat for their attack (or
aren't an attack all). Otherwise, it's likely to be a wasted feat as your
hit probability will ruin it for you.

This has an impact on magic items too. Did your your DM grant a noble
title and the opportunity to fix up a your very own castle? To afford
it, all you have to do is delay the purchase of your next magic weapon
for a few levels... It turns out that castle is a lot more expensive
than you thought. To maintain your combat ability you *must* buy the
best weapon you can as soon as you can. One slip, and you will pay
for it for the rest of your PC's career.

People have been talking confidently about how Cha-based paladins are
superior to Str-based. This example illustrates why they really are
about equally good: opportunity attacks. A high level, Cha-based
paladin is unlikely to hit with OAs. This not only reduces their
overall damage output but, more importantly, it removes their ability
to play the role of Defender. A canny DM will simple take the OA
knowing that it's likely to miss. And the baddies will walk right up
to the squishy bits of your party. Sure, they _may_ get a -2 to the
attack and some damage due to the Divine Challenge, but that's not a
bad price to pay for cutting down your party's controller in round 2.

Non-martial characters have it even worse. They lack the weapon
proficiency bonus to their attacks so they have to work equally hard
to maintain a lower probability. They are less likely to get bonuses
from tactical situations (e.g., prone or flank). They are more likely
to have multiple powers that use different ability scores. They are
more likely to suffer from MAD. They also have many other
"opportunities" (i.e., temptations) to spend their gp on rituals and
magic items other than their implement and thus _permanently_ sacrifice
hit probability.

So, I hate sounding like a munchkin. (And this whole post sure makes
me sound like one.) But I think this is a subtle, but critically
important aspect of the new rules that needed to be spelled out
explicitly.

:AMN:

TK Lafours

First Post
I'm not sure how this is any different from any min/max debate/discussion.

There are plenty of other factors to consider and I suspect in play it will never be this simple. Consider the ability to attack different defenses for example. You may have a good chance to hit AC but no ability to hit other defenses. Against certain monsters in certain circumstances this means you will miss a lot.

You make a good point about the Str based Paladin getting better OAs than the Cha Paladin though. I'm not sure how many OAs you will get at 30th level though but I imagine it can provide the difference between a few dead minions each battle.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Consider, if you will, a 1st level fighter. You give him an 18 strength. That combined with the proficiency bonus for his longsword gives him a +7 to attacks.
Fighters also get a +1 class bonus to attacks with their chosen weapon type, so it'd be +8, but whatever.

This isn't a huge surprise. It's what the WotC folks have been telling us. But I think it's worth considering the implications, the biggest of which is that PCs whose class grants powers that use multiple attack modifiers are actually at a _disadvantage_.
This has been discussed for a while. Basically, there are some classes with one primary attack stat and two secondaries (Rogue, Fighter, Wizard), and some classes with two primary attack stats and one secondary (Cleric, Paladin, Warlock). You usually want to pick one primary attack stat.

See what happened? Every time you neglected Str you _PERMANENTLY_ lost a 5% attack probability.
Yup. Thus, choose one primary attack stat and don't pick powers from the other pool.

This has an impact on magic items too. Did your your DM grant a noble title and the opportunity to fix up a your very own castle? To afford it, all you have to do is delay the purchase of your next magic weapon for a few levels... It turns out that castle is a lot more expensive than you thought. To maintain your combat ability you *must* buy the best weapon you can as soon as you can. One slip, and you will pay for it for the rest of your PC's career.
This is incorrect. So long as your magic weapon has an enhancement bonus appropriate to your level, it can be up to 5 levels "behind" you without throwing you behind the curve.

Cheers, -- N

keterys

First Post
But you obviously can't afford to bump Str every time.
Why not? *curious* Honestly, even if you start 2 behind (18 / 16) to start, bump other stats twice for feat requirements (for some reason), you still end up only behind 4 which is 50%/40%.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Yep, split-primary classes (Cleric, Paladin, Ranger, and Warlock) have some choices to make. They can focus on one primary stat and virtually ignore the other, keeping thier chosen primary maxxed and bumping up thier secondary stat and having stat bumps left over for feat preqs and the like; or, if they're racial bonuses are right for it, forget about secondary stats or ever meeting a stat preq and max both primaries (you do get +1 to /two/ stats at levels ending in 4 & 8, not just one). For instance, a 1/2 Elven Star Warlock can easily start with 18/16 in his two primary stats, could concievably even manage 18/18 if he ignored everything else, and he can increase both at every opportunity. He'll never get much benefit from INT, his REF will suck, and he won't qualify for a many feats, but he can do it, and it gives him quite a bit of versatility in choosing the best power at each level. Dragonborn Paladins have the same sort of option, but there's not a STR/WIS race or STR/DEX race to help out Clerics or Rangers.

Keenath

Explorer
This has an impact on magic items too. Did your your DM grant a noble
title and the opportunity to fix up a your very own castle? To afford
it, all you have to do is delay the purchase of your next magic weapon
for a few levels... It turns out that castle is a lot more expensive
than you thought. To maintain your combat ability you *must* buy the
best weapon you can as soon as you can. One slip, and you will pay
for it for the rest of your PC's career.
How do you figure THAT?

If I give up buying a +4 sword for a level, I'm 5% weaker for that level... but as once I get my cash together or find a new weapon that's back on track, how am I "paying for it for the rest of [my] career"?

In any case, as TK said, it's much more complex than a pure attack bonus calculation. If I choose to take a set of awesome armor in lieu of a new weapon, am I really 'weaker'? I can stand up to more rounds of combat even if I'm dealing out less damage. Likewise, if I've put some significant points into Con and let my Str drop, is the increased Healing Surge and HP worthwhile? Maybe it is, yes! You're correct about the math, but the actual game has too many variables to be that simple.

And in any case, from looking at my 1st level group, a well built fighter can hit on a 4 or 5 in a lot of cases (and he almost can't miss if he's flanking...), so he's really not going to be hurting if he "loses" a few points of attack bonus -- relative to AC -- as he levels up. Heck, the power attack feat is BUILT around that assumption.

Last edited:

amnuxoll

First Post
I'm not sure how this is any different from any min/max debate/discussion.

I'm glad you said that and posted it first. The difference is that in all previous editions (but particularly in 3e) there were myriad ways to compensate for poor base hit probability. You could be a 12th level character with a BAB of +6 and _still_ have the best chance of hitting the bad guy. It was possible (even easy) to create a character with a virtual 100% hit probability at higher levels. That is completely absent in 4e.

At first brush, that seems like a simple change. What I'm illustrating is the implications are quite pervasive and significant. I think there are a lot of folks out there who don't "get it" yet and I think it's worth pointing it out.

Also, for the record, I'm not saying this is a bad thing. I'm just saying it's something that I think is fundamentally significant about the design of 4e that folks are missing.

:AMN:

Anthony Jackson

First Post
As the paladin gains levels you dutifully increase your Cha at every opportunity and buy weapons with the highest enhancement accessible. But you obviously can't afford to bump Str every time. So you bump it about every other opportunity.
There's no real reason he can't bump Str every time; at level 26, he'll be at +8 Str, +8 Cha, and +2 to all other attributes. The big weakness of the split stat guy isn't that he's less effective at high levels -- it's that attacks not based on his primary stat are less effective at every level, and on the point buy system, he was also forced to spend points on his secondary attribute, thus not letting him put as many points into his primary attribute.

TK Lafours

First Post
What I'm illustrating is the implications are quite pervasive and significant. I think there are a lot of folks out there who don't "get it" yet and I think it's worth pointing it out.

Fair enough. You make a good point and I may be one of those who hasn't quite gotten "it" yet.

Also, for the record, I'm not saying this is a bad thing. I'm just saying it's something that I think is fundamentally significant about the design of 4e that folks are missing.

That's cool. It's easy enough to misread/misunderstand the intention of your post as a complaint. That's the mistake I made in assuming you were saying that, unless you max your character, your character will be too weak and ineffectual in combat. I'm glad that's not the intent of your post because I don't believe it's true for the reasons I stated.

As a broad illustration you make a good point. When you start to talk about the hard numbers and specific circumstances I think it verges on oversimplifying a few number crunches rather than just playing it to find out what really happens.

eamon

Explorer
Unless I'm missing something, your hit ratio will actually drop throughout the game.

Essentially there are only three ways to increase your attack bonus: your level, your primary ability score, and the enhancement bonus on your magic weapon (or implement).

All other modifiers are either static (like a fighter's bonus) or ephemeral things

Over the course of 29 levels (1 to 30), these modifiers increase. Your level related attack bonus boost is +15, your ability score can be increased 8 times for a +4, and your magic weapon reach +6: In total, you've gained +25 in attack bonus. If you're a kensai demigod, you can raise this to +27.

Monsters will have gained +29 to defenses meanwhile.

Sure, your powers improve too, but those of the monsters do as well, and compensating for a permanent +4 gap is not that easy.

The story isn't that different when it comes to defenses. A heavily armored character increases his AC by +27, but a lightly armored character only by +25. Again, there are paragon paths and epic destinies which compensate a little, but not enough: monster attacks scale better.

Is there something I'm missing, or are PC's doomed to meet ever more difficult foes, as they level (which might not be a bad thing...)?

Remove ads