• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hitting the high seas

BSF

Explorer
Huh, I don't see it Brandon. Neither in email or posted. *shrug*

I have two PCs and backgrounds to work with. I think I will probably be dragging myself to bed now since I am pretty tired. I probably won't have any time to check the boards or read email until Saturday at this point. Well, I could but only by cancelling gaming for tomorrow night and doing all of that then.

I am going to plan around Chaka and Bijan for the PCs that will be available. With something that small, I will probably stat out a few generic crew NPCs. If other folks show up, you might be able to play some of them or you can work on your PCs.

On to a bit of commentary:

The feel of the secondaries is probably going to come across as somewhat episodic. We will skip over dull spots between adventures. It is something I have considered doing for the primary campaign, but I have been unwilling to test those waters at the risk of detracting from the campaign. This will kind of give me an opportunity to test those waters and see how you all enjoy playing episodically.

Of course, as your characters grow in influence, they will drive stuff forward in a much more independent manner. Especially if you ever take control of a ship! But for now, the focus is going to be on the action/adventure/mystery parts. As we grow accustomed to the characters and as I get a feel for whether you enjoy the different campaign tone, we will adjust. But with the secondaries, I feel more room to experiment.
The ship you are crewing is a Brigantine named the Sea Lion. Captain Arynx is currently outfit as a merchant. You all know that you are carrying 85 tons of trade goods, including some valuable rum. Alas, the Captain isn't breaking any rum out for the crew to enjoy. He says 'ye all would drink up our profits 'afore the sunrise! Get back to work ye sea dogs!' You are running a little short on crew with only 102 hands all told.

You have been running across the wide sea with a dark well of clouds building up behind you. It is unclear if the storm will turn your way or not yet. A few hours ago, the watch in the crows nest spotted another ship behind you. It is hard to say whether the ship is hostile or not. But the Captain has been pacing the deck and watching as the ship slowly gains on you. You are heavy with cargo already and you might make an appealing target if the other ship is filled with raiders. Of course, if your hold was empty, you would all be watching the other ship to see if you could turn the voyage into a profitable trading venture.

Some days you are the hunter, other days, the hunted...

BSF

Explorer
Macbeth said:
Does that mean Loa's Grace is a useable feat? If that hasn't been decided (or if it's not useable) I actually need 2. I'll figure those out sometime tonight, hopefully.

I think we can probably work that one out. Flavor-wise, I like it for Charm. ;) I'm still a bit hazy on the mechanics, but perhaps I can talk you into bringing Skull & Bones so I can review it again?

BSF

Explorer
injuredwyvern said:
I forgot, do we get the extra 4 ranks to put into a craft or profession skill?
Yes you do. I figure that way there is absolutely no excuse for anybody not to have at least a little Profession (Sailor). :)

Tormal

First Post
Well :):):):) so my character didn't get sent apparently. I had to go to work so I didn't have much time to post more! I'm showing it was sent with no return or sending error to the davidmoore@zianet.com address. Well thats too bad. I'll post it in CAG here in a bit and re-email it if you get a chance to see any of this. I'll also email my Character sheet in a bit too.

Macbeth

First Post
BardStephenFox said:
I think we can probably work that one out. Flavor-wise, I like it for Charm. ;) I'm still a bit hazy on the mechanics, but perhaps I can talk you into bringing Skull & Bones so I can review it again?
Only problem is, the mechanic doesn't directly translate. But we'll talk.

Fisk Dukar is an able sailor. That is most of what he does on the ship. Most of you have probably heard stories of him, though not always good stories. :)
Off the ship he has a wide array of skills that he will generally use at his own discretion.

Remove ads