• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hitting the high seas

BSF

Explorer
OK, so you are all going to play some sailors/merchants/pirates. That's cool. :)

Let's use this thread to begin getting your character concepts and plans together. As I said, if you can all come up with a good story background, we can start off at 5th level. That means that a goodly number of people in your general area have to know who you are and why you are talked about. The Seekers of Legend are known as fighters against wrongdoing & evil, Fey friends, and compassionate rescuers of the downtrodden. More recently, they are also known as scholars and recoverers of lost lore, and near Mt Ternell they are known as devout enemies of evil that tracked down a stolen holy item and fought off vile opponents to return it to the Church of Pter. There are other things the Seekers are known for, but those are the big points because those are the things you guys have emphasized the most. Your secondaries will need to have equivelant stories told about them.

As I said, you have been on the ship together for some time. I am assuming that most of your experience has been acquired on the ship and that you are finally moving into positions of responsibility and authority. In the past few years, you have done some trading, done some exploring, protected yourselves from pirates and done a little pirating yourselves. The crew hasn't made the big score yet, but you do well enough. Certainly you do enough to keep most of the crew in booze and whores often enough to keep morale up.

Discuss your ideas and I will begin working to shape up the campaign side of things.

If any of you are looking for a bit of inspiration and general fun reading, try Barsoomcore's Dead Man's Chest Story Hour. It is a fun read.

I think first of all we should come up with a name for our crew,
so that we can be known as something.

Second I think we should all post our responsibilities and skills on and off the ship.

Then perhaps we can work on some kind of backgrouns that has some importance.

My basic responsibilties:

On board: I will most likely be a deck hand with a lot of sailing skills

Off board: I will be some kind of negotiator/information gatherer. Also will have a lot of knowledge and will be a good person to make a first surprise attack on somebody.
Some combat training as well.

BSF

Explorer
Don't worry too much about the crew and the ship. Once you have a ship where you guys are in charge, then worry about a name for the ship. Remember, you guys are on somebody else's ship right now. I want to give you guys some leeway in what you are doing because we need at least a few PCs that have legitimate responsibilities.

The secondaries are going to have a lot of different flavor from what you are accustomed to.

Macbeth

First Post
My character, Chaka Dembe ka Ora, is the lucky charm. Most of the crew calls him Omen, Lucky, Charm, Juju, or anything else concerning luck. He doesn't mind these names horribly (except Charm, which he isn't fond of), but he always refers to himself by his native name. A good way to get on his good side (a place you want to be when you're in need of luck) is to call him by his real name.

He has some spells at his disposal and his monkey, Keb, is always on his shoulder.

Last edited:

russ01

First Post
My name is Erric. I am the cook and what passes for a doctor aboard this bucket of humanity. Yes, I came aboard of my own free will a few years back but it was meant to be a means of escape from the drudgery of where I was. I had no intention of staying aboard this long but all-in-all it has been a bit more exciting than where I was so I'll stick around and see where it takes me. My knowledge of herbs seems to be what got me the job. Seems they liked a little more flavor in their stews and some poultices to ward off infections. Some of the jobs are a hack job at best but we ain't lost many to sickness or injury. Replacements come by regularly just that some volunteer and some don't. If you need something, either myself (if it's curable) or the quartermaster if it's supplies, are the ones you want to be seeing and making friends with.

Macbeth

First Post
The info on my character can be found in his CAG thread, along with the story of how he became known. Comments are welcome. If anymore info on Chaka is needed, just tell me. I should finish stating him out tonight, and his background is pretty much set as of now.

Tormal

First Post
Still working on my character but it should be posted by this evening or tomarrow morning! :)

My Concerns:

My character's home setting; I don't have a place for it. It's a smaller city and certainly adjustable in just about every aspect. It has a portion of nobility, signifying some sort of hierarchy. If this won't fit I don't mind, if there's a place for it let me know or... if you want me to adjust it for an existing city no problem just need to know.

My character's stories and posts above; are our stories something we, as a group, come up with or are they individual to each character? I have a decent background before my charcter got on this ship that I can use or if it's a group thing I can adjust it a little. Just wondering...

The player pack; since we're not using point buy do we need to RP the contacts and citizenship or.... what?

Finally, being apart of somone else's crew I find it hard to be distinguished as a group specficially. Now if this is a group background is it for the whole ship or the PC group?

Last edited:

BSF

Explorer
Tormal said:
My Concerns:

My character's home setting; I don't have a place for it. It's a smaller city and certainly adjustable in just about every aspect. It has a portion of nobility, signifying some sort of hierarchy. If this won't fit I don't mind, if there's a place for it let me know or... if you want me to adjust it for an existing city no problem just need to know.

As always, I will. :)

Tormal said:
My character's stories and posts above; are our stories something we, as a group, come up with or are they individual to each character? I have a decent background before my charcter got on this ship that I can use or if it's a group thing I can adjust it a little. Just wondering...

Mostly personal. See MAcbeth's PC background for a good sample. He took a few liberties with his background, but nothing too unreasonable as it is all self-contained. If something doesn't fit with what I want to run, it really has no impact on the now of the game. By the same token, there are hooks I can incorporate if I choose.

If you can come up with a background that ties in with other PCs, that's fine as well. Collaborative backgrounds can be fun and create a stronger tie between PCs.

Tormal said:
The player pack; since we're not using point buy do we need to RP the contacts and citizenship or.... what?

The Player's Pack is pretty much irrelevant now. After Mt Ternell, you guys will no longer be using it for character creation. It will be updated and shiny and new with different campaign objectives. For the secondaries, it is completely irrelevant.

BSF

Explorer
So far I have a posted background and an emailed Character sheet. If you guys need more time to get your materials together, we could call off this week so you can work on it for another week. Would that be better for you all?

Macbeth

First Post
I should be good for this Friday, I have my character background posted (obviously) and my character sheet should be done today, at which point I'll either summarize it in an email or just scan it.

Remove ads