• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Hitting Yuan-Ti PC's with the Nerf Bat

Khelon Testudo

Cleric of Stronmaus
Alternate Yuan-Ti Pureblood traits.

Looking at the Pureblood PC traits, I've come to the conclusion that everyone else has, that the trait "Resistant to Magical Effects" is way overpowered, even if it appears on all Yuan-Ti. I might consider it as a racial feat...
But without it, the traits given are really not flavourful enough. So I'm trying to come up with some alternate traits that might replace the above, not be OP but situationally meaningful.

Taking as inspiration p98 Volo's Guide, under Unusual Abilities, I've come up with these ideas:

Shapechanger: At 3rd level, instead of using your innate spellcasting for Suggestion, you can use it to change into a Giant Poisonous Snake (MM p327) or a Constricter Snake (MM p320). You keep your ability scores and saves in this form, while gaining the attacks of the form.

Shed Skin: Once per long rest you can shed your skin as a bonus action to free yourself from a grapple, shackles, or other restraints. If you spend 1 minute eating your shed skin you regain hit points up to half your maximum hit point score.

(I considered Chameleon Skin, but it's too obviously op for Rogues, yet limited for other classes.)

So, what do people think of replacing Magic Resistance with one of the above?

dave2008

Legend
I don't have any issue with keeping Yuan-ti as is, but that being said I do like your shapechanger trait. Shed skin I like without the eating the skin part. It is more situational, but has some nice flavor. It is more a ribbon IMO, but I like it.

Fanaelialae

Legend
I think Shed Skin is a very flavorful ability (pun intended). The eating the skin is kind of creepy, but that's kind of how yuanti are supposed to be.

That said, note that unless your campaign features an enemy guild of magic users or some such, magic resistance is quite situational, and is likely to only be useful once in a while. Even then, it only helps somewhat against saves you're poor against (though it can certainly make good saves an almost sure thing). IMO, it isn't overpowered.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Those both look good, but I also don't mind the Magic Resistant trait. It's good, but it's not crazy out of bounds for a PC to me.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
So if I were to replace Magic Resistance, should I replace it with both of these, or only one. If one, which one?

I wouldn't do both of them, pick one or the other as suits your taste. They are both fine. Maybe leave that as a player option/choice to represent variation in the race? Some are skin shedders and some are skin changers kind of thing.

If you allow for both of them as a choice, I'd probably still retain the Magic Resistant Trait for some NPC versions of the race if they feature in the campaign. Maybe those are the "noble purebloods" or something and PC's are just "commoners".

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads