• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Hobgoblin Leaders

GreenTengu

Adventurer
Great analysis, but isn't that roughly what Gygax's entry tells us, i.e. for every 200 hobgoblin combatants there are 600 noncombatants (in lair)?

For every 20 hobgoblins in a group there is a leader (sergeant) and 2 assistants. These hobgoblins will have 9 hit paints each. If 100 or more hobgoblins are encountered there will be the following additional figures with the group: a subchief (armor class 3, 16 hit points, and 1 + 2 damage (3-10 hit points)). These additional hobgoblins fight as 3 hit dice monsters.
If hobgoblins are encountered in their lair there will also be, in addition, a chief and 5-20 bodyguards. Hobgoblin chiefs are armor class 2, 22 hit points, do 2-1 1 hit points of damage, and fight as 4 hit dice monsters. Their bodyguards are the same as those of sub-chiefs. There are females and young in the lair equal to 150% and 300% respectively of the number of males.

Yeah... no. No, he didn't. At least not as of 1st edition monster manual. Maybe 2nd edition.
Like I said... no serious consideration as to how this society could functionally exist and numbers just... random. And... well... yeah... just let that last sentence sink in and consider all its implications.

Now, it's a pretty decent number to assume that only 7% of a countries population could be mustered for a campaign season (80-110 days) before a typical medieval country would slide into famine. This number counts the peasants (who you didn't typically arm except in dire circumstance) and slaves (who you didn't arm ever). I don't see the hobgoblin mindset lending itself to a large number of hob peasants working the land, but I do see it working with large slaves labor forces -- subjugated goblins, humans, elves, etc. Slave labor is typically less effective than peasants, and requires more control, but you can have more of them for the same costs (if you don't treat them well, which I don't think hobs do). Still, when you consider the need for overseers and whatnot, you can't field everyone, but I think it's closer to 15-20% of total population for hobs than for the historical percentage.

Can you point me to the setting where hobgoblins are powerful enough and control a large enough area in a stable enough way that it is remotely possible for them to keep a slave force large enough to actually support the number of hobgoblin soldiers actually encountered and killed/defeated by PCs? These numbers might be fine for their ideal, which you can use in your homebrew world where hobgoblins are at the pinnacle of their power, but in any actual D&D world, it doesn't work out.

Accounting for the slaves is why I would peg that about 25% of their force could be full-time soldiers rather than 7% as you noted. And no doubt the slaves are forced to do the most denigrating and back-breaking work. But there would still be plenty of "commoner" hobgoblins-- there would simply have to be. Some of them may be working the land-- maybe shepherds or ranchers of some sort, others doing various skilled and educated labor roles that you just aren't going to put in the hands of common goblins who reach maturity at about 10 and generally die before reaching 30.

But, even those left behind will be trained in war, for the most part. So I think that, percentage-wise, the numbers you came up with for warbands are pretty close -- about 150-200 per 1000 hobs. But, I think that your skill assessment is off, as I think that of the 800 or so not levied, most of those are still skilled warriors either pulling guard duty over slaves, watching other borders, or cross-training into skill sets that slaves are unreliable in or that you need some knowledge in order to effectively direct the slaves. I view hobgoblin society as pretty much the height of the US south's slave era, except that there are many fewer poor hobgoblins eking out an existence in the shadow of the plantations. Most are engaged in running plantations of slaves. Total war seems a very hobgoblin mindset.

There is still a big difference between a proper soldier and someone with basic training. A peek at what I posit for good hobgoblin racial traits notes that even the least among them likely knows how to use one martial weapon and knows one basic combat maneuver as well as being generally having more stamina than most other people, but contrarily are not going to be nearly as widely skilled or specialized as a human would be.

And, again, your comparison to the south fails in two major ways. It first assumes that the hobgoblins would own vast countries where they are the law, have stable control over their lands for generations, have functional trade, cooperate openly with other clans to keep their slaves under control-- again, an ideal no setting allows them to have. Secondly, even in the south plenty of white people were still basic farmers working the land.

Instead, we are talking about a people who don't generally cooperate outside their own tribe well, are constantly crushed and scattered by human, elves, dwarves or orcs pretty much any time they grow their societies large enough to be a meaningful threat (probably once a generation) and have little power to impose any sort of laws and cannot at all rely on steady trade forcing them to gather all resources on their own.

You want to create your homebrew world where the hobgoblins are still on top and have all the power, that's fine-- obviously that situation greatly shifts things. But in most settings, it just doesn't jive with what is going on. Maybe in Kingdoms of Kalamar or one country in Eberron-- but even then it seems highly unlikely there are just that they are keeping 7x their own population of other peoples as slaves.

And, within those 200 levied hobgoblins, there would actually be a higher percentage of the captains than you postulate. I'd say about 1 in 10 or 15, as those individuals would rarely have jobs back home (such oversight would be provided by retired captains) and would always be out on campaign. After all, they're what every little hobgoblin dreams of being. Warlords I'd have as slightly more common, but still only one out on a given campaign at a time (the others being home engaged in whatever hobgoblin politics scene there is).

So, a war party of hobgoblins is 1 warlord per 200-1000, and 1 captain per 15 or so hobgoblins. Smaller detachments can have a captain or not, depending on needs.

Well, at least in terms of military force we pretty much come to an agreement. Actually, you are making them even more rare than I did.

Also, I think that the pinnacle of hobgobliness is the phalanx warrior. Much like the Romans, a citizen fights in the Legions, and is a Legionnaire. You use auxiliaries for your irregulars, skirmishers, and missile troops. Favored tribes of goblins are impressed as scouts and missile troops. Bugbears, orges, and trolls are used as shock troops, but only hobgoblins are in the Legion, and no real hobgoblin would consider being trained as a scout or missile troop commander as anything other than a direct insult to their identity.

Did you realize you contradicted yourself here? Whatever happened to the "you never arm slaves"? In fact, assuming they rely on slaves and value their own, why would you ever imagine they would give the slaves the bows and put them at their back? Or that they are going to trust the slaves to lead them through the rough terrain and trust the 13-year old goblin to properly assess the threats that lie ahead and properly devise their strategies? You think they are going to have a slave be the conduit to their god and put it in charge of healing them?

Think about that a lot harder. It is quite clearly incorrect. If you want something done right, if the entire survival of your troops utterly depends on a task being done right-- you are not going to put it in the hands of slaves. And you certainly are not going to give your slaves ranged weapons and open your flank to them. Doesn't matter if you have a couple of your own in there to "control" them-- it just isn't sound military principle.

Maybe in your own homebrew world you are making you can make them a lot of drooling idiots who couldn't win a fight against a wall because all they want is to "git stukk in wit' da boyz" and gleefully give all the most dangerous weapons and safe positions to the rebellious slaves and put those slaves in the positions to do the most harm to their own... but, that just isn't what has ever been suggested by their lore.

Hobgoblins will be their own archers, their own scouts, their own priests, their own cavalry, their own assassins and saboteurs and so forth. At least any time they want anything done remotely right. Now, the frontline soldiers probably do receive the most accolades and celebration and open respect... But, you know what? That is true of every successful military! You always pin the medals on the people who put themselves in the gravest danger in the war (or at least on their corpses) regardless of whether their efforts actually contributed the most to victory. It is a way to keep up morale and make sure people feel motivated to take up those positions rather than realizing they are being used...

Which, you know-- is totally Lawful Evil.

Last edited:

The monster manual has never done a decent job of modeling non-PC race societies. There is a lot you need to consider.

First, unlike as presented in the monster manual-- not every hobgoblin is going to be a standard soldier. Culturally it is likely that every one of them gets basic militia training as it is a fundamental part of their culture-- but even with their tendency to take slaves when/if they can and the fact that they generally aren't inclined as a culture to really develop land to the extent humans do (their farms don't sprawl out for miles and miles, they don't build up bustling cities) with maybe exceptions in a few settings, the overwhelming majority of their people are still going to be laborers, craftsmen, academics, etc. Whether that means growing or hunting the food, smithing, masonry, child rearing, or so forth. All the various roles that it is inescapable that a society of self-sufficient intelligent humanoids just necessarily has to do.

Really, no more than somewhere between 10-30% of their society can really be full-time soldiers since their culture is militaristic...snip

Pastoral societies are less labor-intensive than agrarian societies and support much more than the classic agrarian 10% nonfarmer ratio. My hobgoblins are modeled on Mongols, but with a fetish for metalcrafting, and approximately 100% of the males are either warriors and smiths or wannabe warriors and smiths. The females boss the slaves and tend the herds. Hobgoblins are big on kumiss.

Don't forget that fantasy ecology can give good yields far in excess of even 21st century agricultural techniques.

Last edited:

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
Can you point me to the setting where hobgoblins are powerful enough and control a large enough area in a stable enough way that it is remotely possible for them to keep a slave force large enough to actually support the number of hobgoblin soldiers actually encountered and killed/defeated by PCs?
If I recall correctly, I think Kingdoms of Kalamar did this.

Can you point me to the setting where hobgoblins are powerful enough and control a large enough area in a stable enough way that it is remotely possible for them to keep a slave force large enough to actually support the number of hobgoblin soldiers actually encountered and killed/defeated by PCs?

Spelljamming seems like an obvious one. Goblinoids control entire star systems and are a major threat to the Imperial Elvish Navy. The Scro were the top dogs of the Second Unhuman War, but hobgoblins are mentioned and they undoubtedly get along well with scro given their cultural similarities (although scro are far more erudite) and would have their own territories within goblin space.

NotActuallyTim

First Post
Can you point me to the setting where hobgoblins are powerful enough and control a large enough area in a stable enough way that it is remotely possible for them to keep a slave force large enough to actually support the number of hobgoblin soldiers actually encountered and killed/defeated by PCs? These numbers might be fine for their ideal, which you can use in your homebrew world where hobgoblins are at the pinnacle of their power, but in any actual D&D world, it doesn't work out.

I believe in Eberron they actually had the Dhakaani empire for a while, lost it to the Daelkyr, and then eventually created the Goblinoid nation of Darguun

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Yeah... no. No, he didn't. At least not as of 1st edition monster manual. Maybe 2nd edition.
From the AD&D 2nd Edition Monstrous Manual:

"A typical tribe of hobgoblins will have between 20 and 200 (2d10×10) adult male warriors. In addition, for every 20 male hobgoblins there will be a leader (known as a sergeant) and two assistants. These have 9 hit points each but still fight as 1+1 Hit Die monsters. Groups numbering over 100 are led by a sub-chief who has 16 hit points and an Armor Class of 3. The great strength of a sub-chief gives it a +2 on its damage rolls and allows it to fight as a 3 Hit Die monster. If the hobgoblins are encountered in their lair, they will be led by a chief with AC 2, 22 hit points, and +3 points of damage per attack, who fights as a 4 Hit Die monster. The chief has 5-20 (5d4) sub-chiefs acting as bodyguards. Leaders and chiefs always carry two weapons.

Each tribe has a distinctive battle standard which is carried into combat to inspire the troops. If the tribal chief is leading the battle, he will carry the standard with him, otherwise it will be held by one of his sub-chiefs."

In 2nd Edition, the "normal" hobgoblin had +1 Hit Dice, or the equivalent of 1d8 and a 12 - 13 CON in 5e terms.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
If a platoon is about 20 soldiers plus a leader, a Captain would have 3 or 4 platoons so almost 100 hobgoblins under his command.
Besides the platoon officers, I would give the Captain 6 bodyguards (better than average Hobgoblin soldier), and he prefers to use his special abilities to enhance THEM.

Note that with this set-up, the PCs have to deal with an enemy who can organize competent tactics, "just use Fireball and Extra-Attack on the slavering hordes" is not going to cut it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads