• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hold the line and side step

Drakeskull

First Post
If a charicter has hold the line and side step and makes the attack of opportunity and takes a 5 foot step back does the charging creature stop thus not getting its attack off?

Scharlata

First Post
Drakeskull said:
If a charicter has hold the line and side step and makes the attack of opportunity and takes a 5 foot step back does the charging creature stop thus not getting its attack off?

Hi!

I guess that if the charging character hasn't moved all of her squares in the charging movement she just charges 1 more square and then attacks.

Kind regards

Alduk

First Post
I don't believe she could do that, since the charge action requires her to stop and attack as soon as she is within range of the target. But I might need to reread those two feats to say with more certainty.

daTim

First Post
Something like this came up in our game the other day. Here's the situation.

A Guard with a longspear, readied for a charge and has the Sidestep feat, Hold the Line, and the interpose ability from Tactical Solider. He is one square to the left of a Wizard he is guarding

PC charges through the Guards threatened area (Guard was Invisible), to attack the Wizard.

Guard takes his AOO, does really massive damage (something like 2d8+30) because of Powerattack + Double damage on set to recieve charge. He takes his 5 foot step and moves back 5 feet.

PC resolves his attack against the Wizard. Guard uses Interpose to take the damage.

Guard full attacks PC.

Alduk

First Post
Though it doesn't spring the same problem as Drakeskull's proposed example: in your situation, the charge was directed at the wizard, who didn't stir at all. The fact that the guard was in the way and then moved out doesn't interfere with the charge, as far as I can see.

Scharlata

First Post
Alduk said:
I don't believe she could do that, since the charge action requires her to stop and attack as soon as she is within range of the target. [...]

Hi!

I think that this must be possible because a (readíed) action or a feat that intercedes with the action of another character does not end the action (in this case the charge attack). It merely happens before the fullfillment of the (readied) action. If, for example, a spellcaster is attacked via a readied action and makes the concentration check, she casts the spell. So, why would the sidestep allow to end the charge? :)

Kind regards

silentspace

First Post
There was a faq or clarification from WotC that said a charge attack can only be made against a foe directly in front of the charger/ in the same line as the charge.

Therefore, if one could sidestep away from the line of attack (to the side, not forward or backward), then the charge would be negated.

This clarification has some other ramifications as well, such as with ride-by attack and spirited charge.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
silentspace said:
There was a faq or clarification from WotC that said a charge attack can only be made against a foe directly in front of the charger/ in the same line as the charge.

Therefore, if one could sidestep away from the line of attack (to the side, not forward or backward), then the charge would be negated.

This clarification has some other ramifications as well, such as with ride-by attack and spirited charge.

Yes, it makes a ride-by attack a physical impossibility unless the target actively cooperates. What an excellent idea for a ruling.
:\

As to the original question, IMO the attacker is still charging and moving up until the moment his attack is actually resolved. It solves a lot of weird metagaming tactics that depend on gaming the mechanics.

Last edited:

Remove ads