• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hollow World

Skytheen

Explorer
In all the Pathfinder Chronicles and modules and adventure paths has there ever been any hint or mention of a hollow world inside Golarion?

Atavar

First Post
Yes!

In the Pathfinder Chronicles Gazetteer (the 64-page, soft-cover book), on p. 40 (the end of the Realm of the Mammoth Lords entry), it says the following:

"Incredible rumors suggest that the beasts that make the realm famous somehow emerged from an impossible underworld with its own false sun, a savage microcosm in which the dinosaurs never died and humans never emerged from their primitive origins. The Pathfinder Society has mounted five expeditions to this rumored inner world, but none of (sic) have ever returned from the country alive."

You can also find the same quote on p. 94 of the Pathfinder Chronicles Campaign Setting (the 256-page, hard cover book).

Also in the same Campaign Setting book is described some of the vaults of Orv, an area of the Darklands (the Pathfinder equivalent of the Underdark). Here is an interesting passage from p. 205:

"Some are said to be so huge that they are themselves inverted worlds, that the denizens walk and live along the inner surface of the vault in defiance of gravity, and that their skies are lit by a glowing orb of brilliance akin to the sun itself floating at the immense cavern's center."

The last reference of which I am aware appears on pp. 47-48 of the Into the Darklands book. The passage is too long to quote here, but it describes a vast cavern called Deep Tolguth that is likely the origin of the rumors mentioned in the other books.

Thanks,

Atavar

Skytheen

Explorer
Yes!

In the Pathfinder Chronicles Gazetteer (the 64-page, soft-cover book), on p. 40 (the end of the Realm of the Mammoth Lords entry), it says the following:

"Incredible rumors suggest that the beasts that make the realm famous somehow emerged from an impossible underworld with its own false sun, a savage microcosm in which the dinosaurs never died and humans never emerged from their primitive origins. The Pathfinder Society has mounted five expeditions to this rumored inner world, but none of (sic) have ever returned from the country alive."

You can also find the same quote on p. 94 of the Pathfinder Chronicles Campaign Setting (the 256-page, hard cover book).

Also in the same Campaign Setting book is described some of the vaults of Orv, an area of the Darklands (the Pathfinder equivalent of the Underdark). Here is an interesting passage from p. 205:

"Some are said to be so huge that they are themselves inverted worlds, that the denizens walk and live along the inner surface of the vault in defiance of gravity, and that their skies are lit by a glowing orb of brilliance akin to the sun itself floating at the immense cavern's center."

The last reference of which I am aware appears on pp. 47-48 of the Into the Darklands book. The passage is too long to quote here, but it describes a vast cavern called Deep Tolguth that is likely the origin of the rumors mentioned in the other books.

Thanks,

Atavar
Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. I'd love to see this expanded to some Pellucidar/Skartaris type setting. The challenge with that, however, is if you do it properly, there is no measured time. It is high noon at all times. This would mess with many spell and ability durations.

How did Mystara deal with their hollow earth setting and spell durations?

Atavar

First Post
It's been years since I've read my Mystara Hollow World stuff, but if I recall correctly spell durations really didn't work any differently than in a typical setting. Time doesn't stand still--there just is no movement of the "sun" to help people track time. Instead, there were floating islands and continents in the Hollow World sky whose orbits could be tracked to help with the measurement of time. Regardless, a spell lasted as long as it normally would, despite the caster's possible difficulties in tracking time durations.

frankthedm

First Post
Regardless, a spell lasted as long as it normally would, despite the caster's possible difficulties in tracking time durations.
Though do note it was one of the areas were several spells were altered, modified or outright stopped due to immortal interference.

Remove ads