• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hollywood Directors become Dungeon Masters!

Nareau

Explorer
Top of my list would be an Oriental Adventures campaign directed by Hayao Miyazaki.

I'd like Scorsese to direct a Feng Shui game.

Or Tim Burton to direct a Changeling game.

Jack Nicholson might end up making a cameo in my RttToEE campaign. Clive Barker, Ridley Scott, and John Carpenter might co-DM a couple of sessions.

John Crichton

First Post
Gargoyle said:
No DMing for Lucas in my game either. I prefer the first two movies, where he did not direct. But you gotta admit, he writes some killer stuff. He just needs more people on his staff that will stand up to him and tell him when he's screwing up, or to pay more attention to those people. That's why Kevin Smith is there. I'll make Kevin into George's editor/boss. :)
Raimi is the man. Kevin Smith is also my personal God (check the avatar) so I won't even go there. But as for Lucas, he did direct A New Hope, but not the last 2 in the original trilogy. ;)

John Crichton

First Post
As for Lucas as a DM, I'd take him in heartbeat. While I am not so fond of his directing style in the first 2 newer movies (I still loved 'em) compared to the original body of work he is still has an eye for things. His stories are inspired and always scream ADVENTURE! His work on Star Wars and Indy prove it. And the only reason I think most folks have issue with the newer films are that he is trying to follow-up on the greatest science fiction/fantasy movie trilogy ever. You have to make allowences for that. Even still, I'd love to have Lucas DM a group on any kind of Republic/Jedi council mission. That would be a mighty treat. :)

EDIT - I just thought of a couple more:

Nick Meyer would be great at any setting. He can take an established setting and not only reinvent it but make it very interesting on all accounts: suspenseful, political, adventurous and action packed. It would move a mile-a-minute but not feel like it.

I would also like to mention David Kemper, who was one of the main driving forces of Farscape. Very similiar to Straczynski, all actions would be accountable for later on. It would be very real and surreal at the same time. That's fun.

Last edited:

s/LaSH

First Post
I considered saying Straczynski in my first post, but found myself wondering how it would work. My brain must have been melting, because I know it would be great. Has anyone else read Midnight Nation? (One of his recent comic series.) That... was... awesome. If nothing else, read issue 1 and then try to play d20 Modern. But if you read them all...

... let's just say is good, jes?

Hey, I gotta try Rising Stars with my new Mutants And Masterminds book... (his first big comic series; 113 superhumans and the world's reaction. In summary: there aren't 113 of them any more.)

Then again, the guy's been writing at least ten pages a day for a number of decades now. That amount of practice is going to get anyone good, and fast.

KDLadage

Explorer
Let me think... there are those I think I can channel fairly well... then there are those I try to channel but they bitch-slap me, ignore my screams for aid and tell me to stick with what I can do well... :)

I tend to channel:
  • JMS (of Babylon-5 fame) for the over-arching storylines, keeping things interconnected and being able to patch the wholes that form in the plotlines as I go along.
  • George Lucas for setting up the scenes for my main battle sequences; George makes for a good mode of thinking when you have your party split into teams. However, I sometimes find that I cannot turn George off in time and end up with some of his dialog as well...
  • John Woo takes care of the combats. Once George sets them up, John Woo handles the details until the combat is over.

I try desperately to channel:
  • Orson Wells but to be honest, I am not sure where I would want to use him.
  • Steven King and H.P. Lovecraft but am finally coming to grips with the fact that I need to let others handle the horror DMing
  • Isaac Asimov to help me in handling the down-time. Isaac had a way of telling a story completely wrong, and still making it feel right (the man broke every rule of storytelling...but it worked)
  • And a whole host of others that it depresses me that I cannot conjur them up in my games

Jalon Odessa

First Post
I don't believe that noone's mentioned Akira Kurosawa as the director/DM of a medieval fantasy campaign. I can't imagine a director with more talent for subtle characterisation, not to mention epic mass-combat and intense, cinematic duelling.

John Crichton

First Post
Jalon Odessa said:
I don't believe that noone's mentioned Akira Kurosawa as the director/DM of a medieval fantasy campaign. I can't imagine a director with more talent for subtle characterisation, not to mention epic mass-combat and intense, cinematic duelling.
Good call. But he has been mentioned in spirit as he is one of George Lucas' main influences. :)

Erebus Red

First Post
Much interesting reading - thanks for the nominations.

Personal view on the Lucas issue - he does set up battle scenes well and I've plaguerised the 'Phantom Menace' climax a few times. Not so much the 'simulaneous triple climax' as the protege vs. master villian theme.

I also think Taratino would be great - great NPC's, great dialogue and great action. We can all take a leaf from his grasp of the mundane concerns of 'villians'. A duo of assassins debate about their favourite taverns as they travel to their next hit...

I was pleased to see a 'Blade' director mentioned - imagine Ravenloft tackled in that frenetic style.

As for my Lynch project - yeah the players are certainly diverted/entertained but the lack of closure is hard pill to swallow.

John Crichton

First Post
Erebus Red said:
Personal view on the Lucas issue - he does set up battle scenes well and I've plaguerised the 'Phantom Menace' climax a few times. Not so much the 'simulaneous triple climax' as the protege vs. master villian theme.
That's just classic, IMO. Very native to samuri movies and old west showdowns. :D
Erebus Red said:
I also think Taratino would be great - great NPC's, great dialogue and great action. We can all take a leaf from his grasp of the mundane concerns of 'villians'. A duo of assassins debate about their favourite taverns as they travel to their next hit...
I'm thinking more about a conversation about what they call mutton in different regions. Oh yeah, then a stylish murder done to the reading of your favorite vengeful God scripture... ;)

Guilt Puppy

First Post
A Terry Gilliam campaign could be a blast, if you had some reasonably thoughtful players... Good mix of clever humor -- even silly humor -- while still being somehow serious.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads