• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hollywood Directors become Dungeon Masters!

Mordane76

First Post
Kesh said:
Mmmmmm....

Oh, sorry. I was just imagining: Clive Barker's Ravenloft. :D

Ummm.... I don't think I want to -- after Lord of Illusions and In the Mouth of Madness, I think I'd have to definitely sit that freak-circus out... :D

Honestly -- I'd be more for a (hopefully) cooperative effort from Alfred Hitchcock and Stanley Kubrick. Masterful suspense, bizarre perspective, and a traumatizing mental playground... kinda like Psycho meets Full Metal Jacket meets Clockwork Orange... :D

Last edited:

mistergone

First Post
I don't know about directors for DMing... but I know what celebrities I would want in my game.

Christopher Walken: He'd play a Wizard or Sorcerer, always show up on time, bring his own dice, really get into character, but in crucial moments, instead of casting a key spell, he'd pull out his dagger and stab his opponent in the throat. He'd stay after the game to talk about the plot and story. He'd always spend like 10 minutes making kissy noises at my cat if she happened to come out during the game.

Snoop Dogg: He'd play a Rogue/Bard, and he'd always want a lot of henchmen. He'd show up on time to the game, but would always bring a few members of his "posse", one of which would roll his gold-plated dice for him. He'd break character sometimes, and his character would often get the party into a lot of trouble, but he'd help them all get bailed back out. He'd have to leave right after the game was over, probably to get back to the studio. I'd have to remind him I don't allow smoking in the house.

William Shatner: He'd play a Paladin, want to be the leader of the party, and always show up late to the game. He'd always ask to borrow someone else's dice. He'd REALLY get into character, and his character would make a lot of dramatic speeches and get into combats that the rest of the party would have to struggle to help win. He'd not only stay after the game, he'd crash on my couch after raiding my fridge. I'd have to keep his character sheet so as no mysterious "bonuses" appeared next game.

Ozzy Osbourne: He'd play a Cleric, even though everyone thought he'd play a Bard. He wouldn't show up for every game, and he'd only have a few dice, most of which look like they've been chewed on by dogs. Either he wouldn't get into character, or his character acts just like him. His character would forget to cast heal spells sometimes, and the rst of the group would have to wait a few minutes while he picked out which die to use in combat. He'd usually have to leave most games early, probably to tour or do his TV show. I'd have to go find him when he got lost while taking a bathroom break and was holding up the game.

That would just be hilarious. And fun. If they ever make a commerical for a roleplaying game, they should use a similar gimmick where celebrities show up at some regualr guy's house to game. I volunteer!

Kesh

First Post
Mordane76 said:
Ummm.... I don't think I want to -- after Lord of Illusions and In the Mouth of Madness, I think I'd have to definitely sit that freak-circus out... :D

Lord of Illusions was one of his best. I was so disappointed he wasn't able to make a series of films based off the main character, like he intended. :D

fusangite

First Post
I have to say, Guilt Puppy is absolutely right -- Gilliam as a writer/director would be fabulous. The overall flavour of one of the games I run is actually Gilliam -- but I had never put it together that that was the way to describe the feel!

This thread has really helped me to look at my games in a new way. I had always thought about my cheesy campaign in terms of Buffy rather than in terms of Joss Whedon. But now...

KDLadage

Explorer
mistergone said:
I don't know about directors for DMing... but I know what celebrities I would want in my game.

Christopher Walken: He'd play a Wizard or Sorcerer, always show up on time, bring his own dice, really get into character, but in crucial moments, instead of casting a key spell, he'd pull out his dagger and stab his opponent in the throat. He'd stay after the game to talk about the plot and story. He'd always spend like 10 minutes making kissy noises at my cat if she happened to come out during the game.

Snoop Dogg: He'd play a Rogue/Bard, and he'd always want a lot of henchmen. He'd show up on time to the game, but would always bring a few members of his "posse", one of which would roll his gold-plated dice for him. He'd break character sometimes, and his character would often get the party into a lot of trouble, but he'd help them all get bailed back out. He'd have to leave right after the game was over, probably to get back to the studio. I'd have to remind him I don't allow smoking in the house.

William Shatner: He'd play a Paladin, want to be the leader of the party, and always show up late to the game. He'd always ask to borrow someone else's dice. He'd REALLY get into character, and his character would make a lot of dramatic speeches and get into combats that the rest of the party would have to struggle to help win. He'd not only stay after the game, he'd crash on my couch after raiding my fridge. I'd have to keep his character sheet so as no mysterious "bonuses" appeared next game.

Ozzy Osbourne: He'd play a Cleric, even though everyone thought he'd play a Bard. He wouldn't show up for every game, and he'd only have a few dice, most of which look like they've been chewed on by dogs. Either he wouldn't get into character, or his character acts just like him. His character would forget to cast heal spells sometimes, and the rst of the group would have to wait a few minutes while he picked out which die to use in combat. He'd usually have to leave most games early, probably to tour or do his TV show. I'd have to go find him when he got lost while taking a bathroom break and was holding up the game.

That would just be hilarious. And fun. If they ever make a commerical for a roleplaying game, they should use a similar gimmick where celebrities show up at some regualr guy's house to game. I volunteer!

Can I nominate this for coolest post ever?

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Channeling directors is a cool idea; I'll have to give it a try. Myazaki may be making an appearance in my game soon, if I can manage it.

The only time I've ever really tried this was a short political story-arc I ran; I called it "Gosford Park with Cultists." I started off channeling Robert Altman, in terms of setting up the adventure (with nobles, servants, and children galore), but midway through, I started thinking, "What Would Joss [Whedon] Do?"

When I thought about it that way, it was obvious. I'd planned an elaborate mystery with a creepy old man as the villain, but that's just pre-Joss thinking. With my WWJ[w]D? hat on, the creepy old man became a creepy good guy, and the real villain was the bustling grandmotherly kindly matriarch of the house.

The trick worked beautifully, and I think it was one of the best sessions I've run.

Daniel

Erebus Red

First Post
Beam me up...

lol - loved your take on Shatner mistergone!!

Just wanted to write and say my Lynch D&D adventure is progressing fantastically. Recent sessions have involved strange locations (think black lodge) that dissapear, the ministrations of eerie angels and a weird scene where a player got knocked 'out of their body' in a fight and had it possessed by a 'Bob' style serial killer.

Templetroll

Explorer
I ran a scenario based on John Carpenter's "The Fog". It went over great, especially when my wife realized what I was doing halfway through it. She called me a bastard, for some reason. :p

It was originally designed for a party of 5 but I only had three players on game day. It made it very tense, and the finale was against a creature they needed magic to hurt and they only had one magic weapon that they passed around. The monk sacrifixe himself so the cleric could drag the rogue out of the way and heal her and then the cleric went to zero and the rogue had a couple hits left when the monster was slain.

Quinn

First Post
Templetroll said:
I ran a scenario based on John Carpenter's "The Fog". It went over great, especially when my wife realized what I was doing halfway through it. She called me a bastard, for some reason. :p

It was originally designed for a party of 5 but I only had three players on game day. It made it very tense, and the finale was against a creature they needed magic to hurt and they only had one magic weapon that they passed around. The monk sacrifixe himself so the cleric could drag the rogue out of the way and heal her and then the cleric went to zero and the rogue had a couple hits left when the monster was slain.

My DM did the same thing with "The Fog" for a Masque of the Red Death campaign. It's funny, but suddenly realizing the inspiration for an adventure right when crap starts to hit the fan actually makes the game more scary or exciting, IMO.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads