• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Holy Avenger Artifact

Burn_Boy

First Post
It could just be because my playstyle tends towards the whole "dragon battle on a hilltop" style but I've found something in the magic items section, that, for whatever reason, just rubs me the wrong way.

The Holy Avenger is a named magical item. And for a paladin it's a very good, very strong weapon, excellent in the persuit of justice and good and all that jazz. The stats are as such:

Aura strong abjuration; CL 18th Slot none; Price 120,630 gp; Weight 4 lbs.

This +2 cold iron longsword becomes a +5 holy cold iron longsword in the hands of a paladin.
This sacred weapon provides spell resistance of 5 + the paladin's level to the wielder and anyone adjacent to her. It also enables the paladin to use greater dispel magic (once per round as a standard action) at the class level of the paladin. Only the area dispel is possible, not the targeted dispel or counterspell versions of greater dispel magic.

Construction Requirements Craft Magic Arms and Armor, holy aura, creator must be good; Cost 60,630 gp

What's always bothered me, going hand in hand with the grandiose play style and an old player who had an unnatural love affair with the weapon, is that it can be created. So, in theory, Boris the Blacksmith, teaming up with a high level cleric could crank these things out en masse. This doesn't seem right to me. This only seems wrong because this weapon changes in the hands of a paladin, and as far as I can tell, no other real weapon does this. (I am not including the Dwarven Thrower in this. That's a race thing, though what I'm going to propose could apply to it as well.)

What I propose, is making this item an artifact. Have ONE Holy Avenger floating around and whether it's in a museum, the bottom of the ocean, or in the hands of the holy church waiting for some figure of legend to come up. I might fudge the rules and make it constructable but only after a lengthy quest chain, having to find special metal for the blade a holy symbol with enough power etc. The destructible quality would be something like a Lich using it to kill a paladin or something like that.

Your thoughts?

IronWolf

blank
What I propose, is making this item an artifact. Have ONE Holy Avenger floating around and whether it's in a museum, the bottom of the ocean, or in the hands of the holy church waiting for some figure of legend to come up. I might fudge the rules and make it constructable but only after a lengthy quest chain, having to find special metal for the blade a holy symbol with enough power etc. The destructible quality would be something like a Lich using it to kill a paladin or something like that.

Your thoughts?

I certainly think this is legitimate if you wish to pursue it for your campaigns. I might be more inclined to pursue that a special metal or element is needed to perform the creation. Then while there might be more than one, there would certainly be fewer than someone creating one in every large city.

Ya can do what ya wish, however keep in mind that , in theory, Boris the Blacksmith, teaming up with a high level cleric could make one they would need 60k each and every time they crafted on of these.

Now let that sink in for just a moment. 60'000 Gold pieces. Do you know how much coin that is? An unskilled labor earns 1 Silver per day. Thats 3 gold per month. A normal professional earns about 5 gold per week or 20 gold er month.

A full knight costs:2969 gp [Full plate, large shield, warhammer, longsword,3 heavy lances, heavy war horse and heavy braiding} You could outfit 20 armed knights for the cost of a single sword. Ya could outfit many times that in footmen or archers.

Even more then the huge amount of crash your putting into a single item, they need 60 days of crafting, eight hours every single day .
Honestly its not financially fessable to make these often and would be a massive investment in crash to make just one.

No one is cranking these out in mass.

pawsplay

Hero
A small keep runs about 150,000 gp. That makes the holy avenger more like the Stealth Bomber than Excalibur, but there you have it. As a 120,630 gp item that basically amounts to a +5 holy longsword with at-will dispel, plus some limitations, it is probably too weak to be an artifact. And even if it weren't... it's trivially easy to create a 120,630 gp knockoff through a little research.

Now, if you want, make it singular. The only important change is CL traditionally would go up to 20th, and it would become indestructible except for one specific weakness. If most communities in your gameworld are under 50,000 inhabitants, there is little danger of it being outshined by some imitation holy avenger.

jefgorbach

First Post
the other thing to consider is while Boris might spend the time/resources to mass produce the basic cold iron swords and then somehow convince the local church elders to bless them accordingly, they remain simple +2 swords ... UNTIL the appropriate deity grants his chosen paladins its additional benefits.

Alexanderone

First Post
if you like the idea of super powered holy swords as somthing more than just an item buy quintessential paladin and have look at custos and relics.

Remove ads