• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Holy Sword

pbd

First Post
Can this spell be cast on a companion"s weapon?

From SRD:

Holy Sword
Evocation [Good]
Level: Pal 4
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Melee weapon touched
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell allows you to channel holy power into your sword, or any other melee weapon you choose. The weapon acts as a +5 holy weapon (+5 enhancement bonus on attack and damage rolls, extra 2d6 damage against evil opponents). It also emits a magic circle against evil effect (as the spell). If the magic circle ends, the sword creates a new one on your turn as a free action. The spell is automatically canceled 1 round after the weapon leaves your hand. You cannot have more than one holy sword at a time.

If this spell is cast on a magic weapon, the powers of the spell supersede any that the weapon normally has, rendering the normal enhancement bonus and powers of the weapon inoperative for the duration of the spell. This spell is not cumulative with bless weapon or any other spell that might modify the weapon in any way.

This spell does not work on artifacts.

I ask because of the "The spell is automatically canceled 1 round after the weapon leaves your hand" wording.

Corsair

First Post
"The spell is automatically canceled 1 round after the weapon leaves your hand. You cannot have more than one holy sword at a time."

Sounds like it wouldn't be too useful on your companions weapons.

mikebr99

Explorer
Sure... it'll give the guy one round of attack(s) with the benefit of the spell.

Not a very good use of a 4th level spell.... but it will work as you want it to.

Mike

werk

First Post
The way it reads, I think the caster needs to wield the weapon to get full duration.

"your sword"
"your turn"
"your hand"
"you cannot"

mikebr99

Explorer
werk said:
The way it reads, I think the caster needs to wield the weapon to get full duration.

"your sword"
"your turn"
"your hand"
"you cannot"
Most definitely... but you could cast this on someone else's weapon, for 1 rounds benefit.

Mike

LordBOB

First Post
actually i dont agree with any of this, though you all have good points.

If it was meant to be only for your benefit i thought they woud of clarified it in the discription (though they have made MANY mistakes before with discriptions).

I look at it this way : The sword will loose its powers if it leave the hands of the owner (whoever that may be). I personally think that if the paladin casted this spell on anothers sword than it would last untill the spell length was up, or when the sword was dropped because someone else is the "owner" of the sword. Even though it says "your sword" that could be anyone's sword that the spell was casted on.

EX

Fighter : hey PALLY can you cast Holy sword on my sword?
PALLY : Sure dude I'll cast it on "YOUR" sword

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Oddly, I think I agree with Bob on this'un.

I could be wrong, but it just seems odd that they wouldn't clarify such an oddly-acting effect. A touch spell that only lasts 1 round unless cast on your personal weapon?

This is one of the problems I have with the WotC editing staff, is the tendency to use "You" or "Your" to stand in for the character. YOU the READER do not actually recieve a Holy Sword, the CHARACTER does. By utilizing the terminology of "Character" or "Caster" that sort of thing could be cleared up. If it said: "The spell is automatically cancelled 1 round after the sword leaves the caster's hand." we'd have no question.

I say this because, as a "Touch" spell, the sword never actually has to be IN the caster's hand. He can reach over and tap Bob's Sword in Bob's Hand and make it a Holy Sword ... ruling either way, then, is an interpretation. You either interpret "Your" to mean "The Caster's" or interpret "Leave your hand" to be "Not be in your posession for 1 round or more, regardless of whether it was originally in your posession at the casting of the spell".

--fje

werk

First Post
I think the problem with the wording was caused trying to prohibit the caster from affecting multiple weapons.

Only allowing full duration to a weapon wielded by the caster closes any exploits that I see...which would be casting it on your buddy's weapon, then casting again on your own.

It is pretty vague, IMHO, and could be interpretted either way based on supposed intent and how soft your DM is.

I'm reading it as a paladinish version of true strike.

Remove ads