• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Holy Symbol made of...

Bloodsparrow

First Post
Okay, so a Cleric's Holy Symbol can be made of metal, wood, or stone right?

What about paper? Or cloth (like a patch on one's cloak or vest)? Or a tattoo? If you're really desperate, and have some carving skill, could you whittle one out of a potato?

Where and how do you draw the line for what is an acceptable focus for a divine spellcaster?

CyberSpyder

First Post
Bloodsparrow said:

What about paper? Or cloth (like a patch on one's cloak or vest)? Or a tattoo? If you're really desperate, and have some carving skill, could you whittle one out of a potato?

Where and how do you draw the line for what is an acceptable focus for a divine spellcaster?

Hm...seems like there'd be something of an advantage to having a holy symbol of "more or less spherical shape"

FireLance

Legend
Cinematically, a guy with two pencils can ward off a vampire.

For roleplaying or flavour reasons, you might want to impose some limits. For example, a potato carving might be OK for a god of agriculture, and a cloth patch for a goddess of weaving, but not for a god of stonecarving or blacksmithing.

From the mechanics perspective, I see no harm in allowing a holy symbol to be made of anything, provided it is "worth" at least 1 gp, like a wooden holy symbol. This would allow a person of average intelligence to make a holy symbol from whatever materials are at hand in a day (DC 10 Craft check x take 10 on unmodified Craft check = 100 cp = 1gp).

pawsplay

Hero
If someone were trapped on a desert isle, and had only that focus to use, would they be willing to use it for general religious purposes, and would their god find it a pious representation?

Telperion

First Post
Personally I allow PC's (and NPC's) to use their Deity's favored weapon as a holy symbol. Of course the thing has to be Consecrated / Desecrated every now and then to keep the item "holy".

For example Corean (LG, paladin deity) has a symbol that has four long swords pointing away from an empty center. So a cleric or paladin of Corean would be able to use their weapon as a holy symbol. Aside from that it takes a moment to "re-charge" this Consecrated weapon between adventures, and a suitable "donation" to their church. Note that should the adventure end in an environment where there are no easily accessible clerics of Corean that "re-charging" part might get a bit more difficult.

Telperion

First Post
O' and just to make that rule a bit more "official" I think there actually is note on this in Player's Guide to Clerics and Druids. Although I don't have it at hand right now.

Anyway, as I recall it was optional.

shilsen

Adventurer
Bloodsparrow said:

I'd allow most materials. At the same time, I wouldn't allow something which just looks like a holy symbol to work, but would require a ritual of some kind to "sanctify it". Off the top of my head, maybe something like the following: The item must be bathed in holy (or unholy water) and a cleric of the appropriate faith must pray over it for an hour.

Remove ads