• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [HOMEBREW] 5e Blackguard (PEACH)

Ravinsild

First Post
This is a homebrew designed to give a base class that makes more sense for the Oathbreaker, Oath of Conquest and a new "Vice" called Fury.
So far I've got a decent chassis I believe for the Blackguard, having converted it from the Heroes of Shadow from 4th edition to 5th edition. I used the Paladin as a base class and swapped out features for 4e Blackguard features I felt were more relevant, then reflavored the Oath of Conquest to the Vice of Domination. Any help would be greatly appreciated as far as comments on balance and class features. I want to make sure the Vice features and Class features look balanced compared to the Paladin who is its equal.

One of the reasons behind this entire endeavor is that I feel the Oath of Conquest and Oathbreaker (now Vice of Hate) needed a stronger base class that made sense. Why would an Oathbreaker or Conquest Paladin have "Divine Sense" or "Lay on Hands" or be able to cleanse diseases? I felt like those Oaths deserved a better and more thematic base class and chose the 4e Blackguard for my starting point. It's an alternative to the Paladin if you feel there's a strangeness to only replacing Oath features but not class features.

Sources:
Wizards of the Coast 5e Paladin Class from PHB
Oath of Conquest (Renamed Vice of Domination) from http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/do...ClassOptv1.pdf
Oathbreaker (Renamed Vice of Hate) from WotC's DMG
Oath of Vengeance (Modified to Vice of Fury) from WotC's PHB
The Blackguard class from 4e's Heroes of Shadow Book

What this class is:
* 5e Paladin Chassis with "paladin" renamed to "blackguard"
* 5e Paladin Class "Oath" replaced with 4e Blackguard "Vice"
* 4e Blackguard features replacing undesireable Paladin Features (Shroud of Shadows instead of Divine Sense, etc.)
* 5e Oath of Conquest (Vice of Domination) on the Blackguard class chassis
* 5e Oathbreaker (Vice of Hate) on the Blackguard class chassis
* 5e Oath of Vengeance (Vice of Fury) repurposed with Blackguard's Vice of Fury features converted from 4e

Without further ado my 4e to 5e Blackguard conversion.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/S1rgJ--Fb

Remove ads