• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Homebrew Base Class: The Arcanist

Hillsy7

First Post
Hi guys & gals

So I started a PbP game for the first time, and built my own setting, based around a lot of reskinning/reflavouring. However, I needed something to fill a specific concept I couldn't quite fill with the current classes in the PHB and, well, building your own stuff is fun!

I've since retweaked the fluff and concept to fit into a wider D&D setting, and after initial bits and pieces of feedback made a few tweaks to abilities. Basically, I think it's ready for a proper shakedown now I think I've finally cracked the problem with AC I was having.

So I present.....the Arcanist!

Due to my personal love of high Int characters, I've tried to build a concept for something that has a slightly different play style and stat block, and that deliberately promotes STR over DEX without relying on 2-handed weapons. ANyway - this is my first attempt at homebrewing a class, so please....be gentle....hehe

Seriously though, all feedback welcome, even if it's just "Dude there's too many capital 'A's.....it's making my eyes bleed!"

NB: this is also my first use of homebrewery, so if it isn't outputting correctly, let me know and I'll try and fix.

Last edited:

pirate gonzalez

First Post
I really like this! Cool idea, and you presented it well on Homebrewery.

I do have a number of comments, but overall I like this. I will point out that I'm more of a big picture guy; I'm not great at doing the match and determining if something does too much damage or too little damage. I'll just point out my opinion on whether something seems to be too much or not.

Arcanist notes:
Arcane Mark. State mark as a free action. What is the intent with crits? For example, if you crit at level one would the arcane mark deal 3d4 damage? And if an opponent crits you with a greataxe, do they do 3d12?
Since this is modeled after the barbarian rage, it might just be easier to state that you deal that bonus damage on any attack rolls you make, no worries about actually applying a mark. Marking might be more useful if it was done outside of your channeling, or if allies instead deal the bonus damage (that would be a very powerful ability if you went that way).

Slipsteam. Interesting ability. 1 minute for a 20ft teleport seems like it wouldn’t get must use by itself. Perhaps the distance you can teleport increases as you gain levels?

Triggering.
Ok, now I see why marks work the way they do, instead of just being a flat damage increase. In the wording of this ability, you don’t indicate how to determine the first target. Does it automatically effect everyone with a mark, or only marked targets within 30ft of a designated marked target? The wording is unclear.
There’s no save associated with this, but it’s a relatively small amount of damage, so it may not matter.
I like the idea behind this ability though! It kind of reminds me of the 4e warlock curses.

Arcane Awareness: Cool ability. Maybe you can just say they can cast “Detect Magic” as a ritual?

Arclight: Good idea to have a ribbon ability here, but it actually seems a bit weak for a 6th level ability. You essentially get the light cantrip. There might be a way to spice this up a little more.

Energy Sink. Interesting ability. Ending your channel(rage) early for a defensive benefit is cool.

Apparition. The power of the +2 bonus to AC might depend on whether using a shield works with Arcane Mark. If not, this basically just gives them the benefit of a shield. But if not, it may allow AC to get pretty high. Just something to look out for.

Improved Slipstream. I’m not a fan of the random movement. Generally, you want an ability that provides empowerment to a PC. Giving them a teleport that they can’t control may not be fun, because they’ll be wishing they COULD control it. My opinion, anyway.
Also, there are no move actions in 5e. You might want to say ‘instead of moving’ or something like that.
Life Force. Cool ability.
Arcane Mastery. For a 20th level ability, I wouldn’t even give the restriction that you have to have a higher initiative. Just do it to any 2 enemies.

Archetypes
Arcane Engineer
Arcane Orbs. I like these. No idea how balanced they are, but the idea is neat.
Enchantment. What happens if the weapon is already magical? Can you not use this ability? Also specify if you round up or down for this.
Repair. I like this. It’s subjective, but it reminds me of something I was designing for a artificer class.
Orb Mastery. So if I’m reading this right, the higher your INT is, the harder it is to get a better benefit?

Arcborn
Empowered Marks. This seems like a big damage boost. Causing damage without a save each round, as long as you hit? At the very least I might suggest dropping the +INT part of the damage. That seems better to me.
Advanced Triggering. Cool ability. Do they have to make the saving throw as an action, or automatically at the end of each of their turns?
Also, totally minor thing, but it’d change the name of this. Maybe “Binding Marks” or something.
Transcendental visage. Does this only work in Channel form?
Elemental Arcana. Does this cause you to enter channel form, or can it only be used in channel form? The wording is a bit unclear.
Can you only increase arcane mark damage one die per turn? Do you take normal arcane mark damage or the new boosted arcane mark damage?

That's my first batch of notes! Keep me posted, I like this idea. I'm particularly fond of classes that use magic or are magical, without using spellslots.

Hillsy7

First Post
Arcane Mark. you're right it was intended to bump up the crit roll....I love that feeling of dropping a crit and rolling a bazillion dice, so wanted to bump it up....then give it a downside should you get a crit back.

Triggering.
Yes, the warlock was an inspiration. The Marks are supposed to be trigger one at a time (then resolving the distaces for each mark individually), but all Marks in the same action. I suspect I'm going to be revisting the wording a few times on this....

Arcane Awareness: huh....never thought of like that. I'll look into maybe simplifying the wording....

Arclight: this is entirely supposed to be a utility function. I'll see if theres something to add that gives more utility options without being 'powerful'.

Apparition. I spent a while playing with the AC levels. Correct you can't mark without a free hand, so the whole class is built around not having a shield. This is a boost to put the max AC between monk and rogue, and falling between where you'd be finish maxing your attack stat, and before starting on Int. This should top you out at 19 at the last ASI....

Life Force. Cool ability.

Arcane Mastery. I've never taken a character to level 20 in any game, so I think capstone abilities will take some balancing...

Archetypes
Arcane Engineer
Orb Mastery. You still get a plus 2, so the numbers should balance out. Rolling a 4 will not give you more orbs if you have a +3 modifier, than having a +5

Arcborn
Empowered Marks. Arrrggghhh.....your correct, its OP. As soon as you said it, I realised the maths is off....yes dropping the Int bonus brings it more into line with rage damage mid level....slightly below at low levels, about the same at 20
Advanced Triggering. its a save when trying to move, nlike trying to escape a grapple.
Transcendental visage. Does this only work in Channel form? Yes
Elemental Arcana. Yes poor wording. Works the same as frenzy rage. And its always basic mark damage, not new boosted damage.

Hey thanks for the feedback and being gentle...hehe. Loads of good points there....cleaning up the details is always important to give the impression you know what you're doing.

Thanks again!

Hillsy7

First Post
Hey guys and gals,

Still after feedback now I've completed my first major round of tweaks. By way of payment I will upload photos of Dragon Kittens into the internet as soon as I find them!!

Cheers!

Remove ads