• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Homebrew Creation: Cultural Template

Belen

Adventurer
Hey all,

I have created a template for how I will creats the cultures/ regions etc. I would like to get your thoughts on the template, especially if you see some holes that I missed. I am hoping that my new world will be far more detailed than previous worlds. Here goes:

Dave

Culture Template

Earth Equivalent:(where did the ideas comes from Example: Egypt/ Toltec)

Intro Paragraph:

Geography

Natural Landmarks/ Wonders
Natural Dangers
Common/ Exotic Vegetation
Common/ Exotic Animals
Climate

Temperature
Rainfall
Storms/ Disasters
The People

Livelihood/ Daily existence

Introduction: Who are the people of this region? Describe the main societal structure, main beliefs of the common people/ how they deal with others.

Agriculture/ Trade/ Profession: What do the people grow/ raise/ hunt/ make? How?

Place of People: Nobility versus Commoner etc?

Races: Role of the different races within the culture. For example, Elves may be gypsies in one, Bedouin in the next.

Sexes: Role of men and women in society, including views on sex and marriage. Restrictions. Careers. Treatment. Beliefs

Family: Role/duties/ hierarchy of husband and wife. Perception/ treatment of children. Becoming an Adult. Aging

Aging: How are people perceived during the course of their life?

Moral Law/ Beliefs/ Practices/ Superstitions/ Quotes

Names- (list of common names/ naming conventions)

Religion- (Type: Pantheistic, Monotheistic, Animistic, Humanocentric)

Overall Religion

Introduction: Write an introduction to the overall religion. For instance, if the religion is based around a Pantheon, then the intro should include views of the overall pantheon by the people, common beliefs that would be represented within each of the gods of the pantheon etc. What makes it a religion, is there a hierarchy among the gods etc? The feel of the entire religion should be portrayed here.

History: What is the history of the faith? How did it begin? Who are some of the notable people associated with it? How has it changed over time?

Church Hierarchy: Is there a head of the entire religion? How do the individual priesthoods fit together to form a whole? Common ranks among the priests? Laypeople? Dominant Priesthood- (ie. Do the government or people support a certain god above all others)?

Mechanics

Beliefs
Practices
Prayers
Temples
Holidays
Place of Commoners: How does the church view their followers? How do the common people fit within the religious framework?

The Divine

Name of God/ Power Level/ Status (Cult (Not accepted by main/ overall religion, yet people attach to the Pantheon, Accepted Member?)

Introduction: Write a brief statement about the deity. Include motivations, goals, beliefs and/or desires. A description of how the people see the god (physical appearance etc) should be placed here. Also, include the history of worship, how the deity is associated with the pantheon (if any), how the deity fits in with the culture, and the common person.

Symbol: Holy symbol, meaning, statues,

Domains:

Followers: Who worships the deity? What type of person would be drawn to them?

Unbelievers: How do outsiders view the god and its followers?

Duties of the Priesthood: (include any sects, special rites associated with specific deity etc)

Allies/ Enemies: Is the god associated with others? Do other religions dislike the god?

Government/ Nationality- (Do this section for every nation within the cultural region)

Name of Country/ Nationality

Introduction: Is it a Theocracy, Monarchy, Magocracy, Democracy, Plutocracy? Basics of how the government runs the nation. Government roles, beliefs, duties and desires.

History: How the nation began? Notable figures etc.

Calendar:

Bureaucracy: (who runs it and how, common laws/ punishments, requirements for citizenship, slavery etc)

Hierarchy: Royalty, nobility, presidents, priests?

Main Cities w/location:

Foreign Policy: How does the government view other nations both within the culture and without? How is the nation viewed by foreigners?

Commoners: How does the government treat the people? Its view on citizens/ non-citizens

Calendar Year

Current Events:

People of Interest:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads