Homebrew Firearms

BabyJ

First Post
Yes, I see your point. I think conservative is the way to go with any firearms (or other future weapons) in 4e. Making something uber powerful can get out of hand fast.
Agreed. Thus, my campaigns firearms are just reflavored crossbows. Perhaps I will add an enchantment property called Devastating Firearm:

Devastating Firearm (+1, +2, +3, +4, +5, +6)
Your gun is better than the rest, able to strike with devastating ferocity.
Applies to: crossbows that fire powder or bullets. Level: 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th, 25th, 30th. Enchancement: applies to attack rolls only. Critical: +1d8 damage per plus.
Property: The damage die or dice for the weapon damage is increased by one size (d4 becomes d6, 2d6 becomes 2d8, etc)

Last edited:

Grimgrin

First Post
Rather than firearms being a "martial" weapon, maybe they can be a variation of magical implements for wizard. As wizard implements they modify at -will spells as a "encounter power".

Arcane Implement Mastery (Encounter Powers)
Arcane Pistol Duelist: Draw as free action and add your CON modifier as an INIT bonus.
Arcane Rifle Sniper: Add your WIS modifier to the range of the spell.
Arcane Blunderbuss: Add 1 to the blast or burst area of a spell, +2 at 11th level, +3 at 21st level.

Last edited:

PoorHobo

First Post
My only problem with reflavoring crossbows and bows is the load minor, or the load free. If you want the concept of an early era powder weapon but it has a load minor that essentially turns your musket into a bolt action rifle, and your pistol into a revolver. while being mechanicaly sound and tested it really changes the feel of it.

Thus far all the rules for firearms I've seen that I like treat them as encounter powers of various sorts. Using cost increases to make ammunition more viable at higher levels.

atminnie

First Post
template discrepancy?

Comment on EriktheGuy's pdf rules:
Am I right in seeing that Revolver is classed as a rifle, although it's one handed and technically what I'd call a pistol? That means that Rogues cannot use them for their powers even though it's based on the template of a superior crossbow, but that you can apply the bayonet and gyroscopic array to them?

Furthermore, is there then only one pistol, the sidearm pistol? Why not have one based off the hand crossbow that's Simple ranged, +2, d8, load minor?

I'm sure you've thought about it, I'm curious as to your reasoning for the decision. I love your rules, especially the feats, and want to implement them in my game.

Last edited:

Remove ads