• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [Homebrew] For an easy realistic economy, what gp conversion rates do you prefer?

What conversion rates for the standard gold piece coin do you prefer?

Coroc

Hero
I voted 1g= 10$ but that is only applicable if you want to adjust modern times goods. I saw an example listing a plate armor for 3000$ but that is also not realistic at all. Good plate armor with a Little bit artwork on them might be i the 1 Mio $ range rather, they were as expensive as small Castles back then.

I prefer my silver standard 1G = 20 S = 240 C and Gold in PHB and official is read to be silver, with some custom prices it is not that much work, and
otoh if you do the list for your campaign you can also Limit what goods are buyable, or add som stuff not included in the official tables or eventually some magical items if this fits the style of your campaign.

And you are far closer to medieval ratios. The Gold Standard for the PHB is plainly stupid be it from a modern or a medieval view . 100g for a basic thing like a weapon? Are u mad brah? :) .

Capn Charlie

Explorer
1194a73f0937a2575a06bee378bd6f4f.jpg

I use this method, and rejiggered all other prices to compensate. A suit of plate is 50 gold crowns, while a suit of mail is only 10.

I will often have the party either paid in pounds of silver or occasionally gold coins depending on the amount.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads