D&D 5E [HOMEBREW...KIND OF] A Good Dog

Wiseblood

Adventurer
The problem with 2d6 is that it isn't coming from a weapon, it is coming from a natural attack that cannot be disarmed.

Moreover, it is specifically narratively the bite of a dog. The bite of a wolf deals 2d4 damage and can cause knock-down. And wolves generally have far greater biting strength than the vast majority of dogs. Wolfs biting strength is between 400 PSI. The only dog that outdoes it is the Mastiff at 550 PSI, but the next highest is Rottweilers with around 350 and literally all others dogs with less than 250. Since we can be pretty sure this class doesn't universally represent Mastiffs or even Rottweilers, we can surmise that 2d4 would really be much higher damage than can be expected.
A Worg's bite causes 2d6 damage, but a Worg is a large sized dog-- i.e. it is over 8' long and weighs over 500 pounds.

So that gives us the range of what is appropriate.

Stealing the monk's damage progression seems like a way to go, presuming you give the dog the same ability to make an attack as a bonus action and something akin to the martial arts ability to spend "ki" to turn that into 2 attacks as a bonus action (or dodge or disengage if you choose).

True you can't be disarmed. You also won't find magic teeth. Bite pressure is strength. I wonder why you are okay with the dog being able to bite faster but not okay with bite for more damage. D6 plus stat two times is greater than 2d6 plus stat once and two attacks will take more time at the table while increasing the chances for a crit.
Pehaps a conditional requirement like sneak attack or a limited resource like superiority dice?

Nitpicky stuff:
Dogs can be trained to climb ladders. Check youtube.
Guard Dog: I'd make this a bonus action, like Shield Master, against medium sized or smaller creatures, and reduce it to adv. on saves vs. frightened.
Nice doggie: reiterate that abilities can't go above 20.
Sly Dog: Stealth isn't on their skill list. I'd actually take Acrobatics off the base skill list, and change this feature to add proficiency in stealth and acrobatics.
Underdog: Make the AC bonus = proficiency bonus. Also, is this all the time? Or just temporary when using the feature? All the time makes this pretty much mandatory if you don't have unarmored defense.

Thank you! These are great. If the class gets Unarmored Defense, how do you feel about combining the Underdog abilities into one:

If you have no more than half your hit points, you can use a bonus action to regain hit points equal to 10 + your Dog Level. Additionally, you get a bonus to your AC equal to your Proficiency bonus, but only while unarmored and able to defend yourself. This bonus lasts until you sleep or are unconscious. You can use this ability once per short or long rest.

Hopefully, this could create one of those "Coming Back From The Brink" moments in battle!

For Sly Dog, do you mean it's better to add Stealth to their base skill list or take it off?

Also, I'm on YouTube right now and WHAT THE WHAT? DOGS CAN CLIMB LADDERS! Thank goodness we have dogs. Perfect little goofballs.

Remove ads