• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [Homebrew] New Player Race- Ordles (first draft)

Grumbleputty

Explorer
Here's my first crack at a race I've been playing around with, based on a sketch I did years ago: Alchemical oddballs known as "Ordles". Feel free to critique, suggest improvements or question my sanity- certainly some if it is pretty cumbersome as written.

Ordles
Ordles are an ancient race of alchemical creations, crafted by a long forgotten civilization as servants. Since the fall of their creators millennia ago, they have quietly lived among the ruins, slowly growing their collective knowledge. Recently, Ordles have begun to explore further out from their remote homes, seeking new wisdom and exposure to new cultures.
ordle_smaller.jpg
They appear as gelatinous, roughly man-shaped creatures made of thick fluid encapsulated in a tough leathery membrane. When an ordle thinks about a difficult matter small flashes of light often appear within its' fluid, and food they ingest can be seen slowly breaking down inside their bodies, which many other races find off-putting.

Ordles aren't born in the usual sense- they emerge from well-concealed and carefully guarded Culture Vats as fully-formed adults, with personalities drawn from the pool of emotions, opinions and experiences shared within the fluids they originated from. They then head off to experience the world in whatever manner they think best. When they reach old age, they return and dissolve back into their Culture Vat, sharing that knowledge with the next generation, effectively dying in the process.

They are a genderless species, although any given ordle may choose to identify with a gender if it thinks its' Culture Vat will benefit from the experience. If three or more ordles choose to, they can engage in a special ceremony in which they flow together as one, creating a new Culture Vat from their combined experiences. This is never done without a great deal of consideration and preparation, as the Ordle's original Culture Vat will be denied its' acquired knowledge so that a new colony can form.

Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 2, and your Wisdom increases by 1.

Age. Ordles emerge from their vats as full-grown adults, physically and mentally. They are a short-lived species- on average, they live about 30 years before the chemical compounds inside them start to break down. They usually try to return to their Culture Vats and allow themselves to flow back into the pool of fluids when they sense this happening.

Alignment. Ordles run the gamut of alignments, although rarely do they feel extreme emotions themselves. An ordle may decide that, in order to better understand the nature of evil, it should devote itself to cruelty and sadism- not out of any particular animus, but because future generations of its' Culture Vat would benefit from the knowledge. You might devote yourself to heroism, revenge, anarchy or any religious faith for much the same reason.

Size. Ordles stand between 6 and 7 feet tall and average about 300 pounds. Your size is Medium.

Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

Truevision. Up to a short distance , the strange sensory organs that ordles consider “eyes” can see through magical illusions. You have Truevision, with a range of 15 feet.

Liquid Resilience. You have resistance against bludgeoning damage, and falling damage is calculated on a d4 for the first 50'.

Leathery. As ordles grow older their skin naturally toughens. An ordle freshly emerged from the vat has skin similar in thickness to leather armor (natural AC 11 ), and at every odd-numbered level that natural armor increases by +1, up to a maximum of 18. Ordles may wear specially-constructed armor, but the effect do not stack- between the Ordles' natural armor and the added armor, the higher applies.

Alchemical Diffusion. You must consume 3 times the normal amount of a potion or poison to be affected by it.

Flow. With concentration, an Ordle can flow through an opening as small as 4 inches square. This does not apply to any armor or equipment the Ordle carries, which must either fit through the opening on its' own or be left behind. As a Bonus Action, you can use this ability to slip free of a Grapple.

Membraneous Healing: Ordles heal quickly. You recover +2 hit points per hit die after a short rest.

Servitor Race: As a race created to be servants, Ordles are highly susceptible to suggestion: you suffer disadvantage on Saving Throws against charms or related spell effects.

Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and High Ordle (actually the language of the Ordles' long-extinct progenitors) , as well as one other language of your choice.

Last edited:

Grumbleputty

Explorer
you're right- and nice work on the conversion! I played a bit of Star Frontiers back when it was released- I wonder if some of those ideas were rattling around in the dustier corners of my subconscious and found their way into my Ordle concept. It wouldn't be the first time I thought I came up with something clever only to discover I'd seen it somewhere years earlier!

Elon Tusk

Explorer
Does minimum damage possible mean that on a fall from 50 feet it only takes 5 hp of damage?
That along with the doubled hit dice and ABI in 2 strong abilities would seem to be where the contentious points lie that seem to push it toward a little too powerful..

Grumbleputty

Explorer
You're right- I didn't think the falling damage through very well. The doubled hit dice is somewhat offset by making healing potions less effective, although how much parties rely on those will vary between campaigns. I'll edit the original and see if I can make it a little less unbalanced. Thanks for your thoughtful input!

Grumbleputty

Explorer
I tend to like the very weird Jack Vance/Chine Mieville style worlds, with lots of ancient cultures that appeared, left behind some strange artifacts and then disappeared.

GreenTengu

Adventurer
It looks like what you are going for here is a gelatinous creature PC race. So its probably best to make this line up with other gelatinous creatures in 5E.

Ability scores, age, alignment, size-- those are all fine. But let's take a look at abilities.

First, immunity to an entire school of magic is too much for a PC race. Plus, it shows a fundamental misunderstanding of how Illusion magic works. A character is not immune to all illusion magic simply because they don't have or use eyes-- illusion affects the mind and perception of creatures, so as long as a creature is capable of comprehending the idea that an object or creature is in a particular direction, then illusion magic can work just fine on them. Thus, get rid of true sight.

However, given that their senses do not rely on actual vision, you should make them immune to being blinded (and possibly deafened too if their ears work in the same way). Give them Blindsight up to 60' with the caveat that they are blind beyond that range. This would be far more supportive of the thematic concept and also come up organically rather than telling the DM "yeah, you know those few creatures that rely on illusion spells? Just don't bother using them."

Your liquid resistance also works completely backwards from how creatures that have this sort of resistance work in this edition. Bludgeoning and falling damage are actually the reliable damage types against this sort of creature, not the kind this sort of creature is immune to. Matching up with similar creatures, it should actually be slashing damage that they are resistant to.

Leathery needs to cap out at 15, not 18. Presume that anyone who is going to play this race is going to try to max out their dexterity score and the most one should be able to do with maximum dexterity without any armor should be 20-- just like the Barbarian or Monk's maximum. And even that is very much pushing things a bit far as both of those classes require you to have a second score besides Dexterity at 20 to achieve your AC of 20-- something which is very unlikely to be true by only level 9. Really, it should be a flat 13+Dexterity without armor with no growth at higher levels to be completely balanced. A free AC of 23 while running around completely naked just for being this race really is beyond reason.

The alchemical diffusion is fine in concept, but the issue is that the way poisons work in D&D doesn't really lend itself to making this ability function correctly. Poisoned attacks tend to either be poisoned or not poisoned regardless of how much poison is introduced. So one doesn't really have a good measure as to when one reaches that 3x threshhold. I suppose the DM could rule that it is only the third time they should have to make a save that affects them, but it seems needless to have to track that.

The funny thing is that of all the immunities that Ooze creatures have in D&D, poison actually isn't listed among them. However, I would consider that a bit of an oversight and given the artificial and alien composition of an ooze creature's body, I would think they may well be immune to poisons all together, probably being able to absorb and process it without too much issue. Probably making themselves poisonous as a result. So instead of requiring 3x dosage, why not just make the creature immune to poison and you can keep the 3x normal dosage of potion as potions do tend to come in vials so one can count how many they may need to take any effect.

Flow is a good, solid, interesting ability. I don't know how often it would come up, but it creates something very unique to this race.

Membrous healing is a perfectly fine ability, I don't see a big issue there beyond maybe that it is a flat bonus (but doing something different like rolling the healing dice twice and taking the higher results would take too much time at higher levels).

Servitor Race is a solid, themely disadvantage-- it is so rare to see flat disadvantages on races, particularly homebrew races. But this disadvantage wouldn't be enough to balance out complete immunity to an entire school of magic nor getting an AC higher than any other race/class combination could ever achieve.

You also effectively gave them a bonus language, but you didn't clearly write it out as such.

Grumbleputty

Explorer
It looks like what you are going for here is a gelatinous creature PC race. So its probably best to make this line up with other gelatinous creatures in 5E....

...First, immunity to an entire school of magic is too much for a PC race. Plus, it shows a fundamental misunderstanding of how Illusion magic works. A character is not immune to all illusion magic simply because they don't have or use eyes-- illusion affects the mind and perception of creatures, so as long as a creature is capable of comprehending the idea that an object or creature is in a particular direction, then illusion magic can work just fine on them. Thus, get rid of true sight.

A fair point- I felt like this was pretty powerful as well. I tried to limit it by giving it a range of 15' ("I wonder if that nice old lady is actually a night hag- Bloobdorp, go walk up really close to her and let us know..."

Still, it does wipe out a whole school of magic, as you pointed out. Blindsight or even Tremorsense might make more sense.

Your liquid resistance also works completely backwards from how creatures that have this sort of resistance work in this edition. Bludgeoning and falling damage are actually the reliable damage types against this sort of creature, not the kind this sort of creature is immune to. Matching up with similar creatures, it should actually be slashing damage that they are resistant to.

...this part I'm not so sure of. I envision them not so much as an ooze creature as a rubbery bag filled with ooze. I agree that purely liquid creatures are immune to slashing attacks, since slashing at a puddle just makes you sword wet. If you think of them more as a pool of fluids held together by a thick membrane, I think the bludgeoning resistance makes sense.

Leathery needs to cap out at 15, not 18. Presume that anyone who is going to play this race is going to try to max out their dexterity score and the most one should be able to do with maximum dexterity without any armor should be 20-- just like the Barbarian or Monk's maximum. And even that is very much pushing things a bit far as both of those classes require you to have a second score besides Dexterity at 20 to achieve your AC of 20-- something which is very unlikely to be true by only level 9. Really, it should be a flat 13+Dexterity without armor with no growth at higher levels to be completely balanced. A free AC of 23 while running around completely naked just for being this race really is beyond reason.

You're absolutely right about this- a good illustration of why I posted it here. You've looked at this from a perspective I've never quite mastered, and the idea will be much stronger because of it.

The alchemical diffusion is fine in concept, but the issue is that the way poisons work in D&D doesn't really lend itself to making this ability function correctly. Poisoned attacks tend to either be poisoned or not poisoned regardless of how much poison is introduced. So one doesn't really have a good measure as to when one reaches that 3x threshhold. I suppose the DM could rule that it is only the third time they should have to make a save that affects them, but it seems needless to have to track that.

The funny thing is that of all the immunities that Ooze creatures have in D&D, poison actually isn't listed among them. However, I would consider that a bit of an oversight and given the artificial and alien composition of an ooze creature's body, I would think they may well be immune to poisons all together, probably being able to absorb and process it without too much issue. Probably making themselves poisonous as a result. So instead of requiring 3x dosage, why not just make the creature immune to poison and you can keep the 3x normal dosage of potion as potions do tend to come in vials so one can count how many they may need to take any effect.

Again, excellent point! I need to re-imagine that whole mechanic.

Flow is a good, solid, interesting ability. I don't know how often it would come up, but it creates something very unique to this race.

Membrous healing is a perfectly fine ability, I don't see a big issue there beyond maybe that it is a flat bonus (but doing something different like rolling the healing dice twice and taking the higher results would take too much time at higher levels).

Servitor Race is a solid, themely disadvantage-- it is so rare to see flat disadvantages on races, particularly homebrew races. But this disadvantage wouldn't be enough to balance out complete immunity to an entire school of magic nor getting an AC higher than any other race/class combination could ever achieve.

You also effectively gave them a bonus language, but you didn't clearly write it out as such.

Thanks for a very thoughtful dissection of this idea! I'll rework it given your suggestions and update the original post.

Remove ads