• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Homebrew skill-tricks ?

nonsi256

Explorer
Hi everyone, Did anyone here ever encounter a situation where you needed to do something associated with skills that was not covered by the rules, or asked yourself "how come there's no skill trick for doing _________..." ? Did any of you ever write or see homebrew skill-tricks ? Reminder: the rules and examples for skill-tricks are covered in the "Complete Scoundrel" 3.5 game supplement.

Last edited:

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Did anyone here ever encounter a situation where you needed to do something associated with skills that was not covered by the rules,

If you played before 2007 then the answer is "Yes!"
I haven't seen anything that was in that format. However "skill challenges", which are similar but less restrictive and totally unrelated to what 4E has under the same name, can be found in Iron Heroes, Mutants & Masterminds, and a few other d20 variants. In addition, you can find homebrew stunt and challenge mechanics on various personal wikis and blogs.
iwattgaming / Skills
Barsoomcore's Blog: September 2008
http://www.kolumbus.fi/antti.lusila/rpg/true20.html said:
Developing True20 RPG -system]
Stuff from Iron Heroes
Coming later: Stunts, possibly challenges, extended skill use
Stunts simply put: Think of some kind of stunt your character could do in the situation at hand; Then, if you have understanding with GM about the skill needed for the stunt, you can try it. Your opponent resists with base attack check (combat+str or dex). If you roll more than your opponent, stunt succeeds. Base advantage is +1 attack or damage. You can take any amount of -2's to increase attack bonus by +1, or any amount of +4's to increase damage bonus by +1. It's also possible to improve saves or defence or disrupt opponent's special ability with stunts.

Extended skill use:Jump DC20: +1 damage when charging. Others coming.

Good luck.

nonsi256

Explorer
Once again, Val comes to the rescue.

I got quite a bit from that link. I'll be done with what I made of it in a day or two and will post the results for assessments and feedbacks.

nonsi256

Explorer
Okay, I've uploaded a document with my processed result.

I'd be happy to know what people think about each new option (negligible usefulness, broken, should belong to a different category, already covered by core/supplements etc).
Furthermore, more ideas for other skill related real-life actions that are not covered by any official material would be most welcome.

Reminder: Complete Adventurer has a chapter about expanded skill usage.

Attachments

• Skills.doc
    30 KB · Views: 128

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads