• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Homebrew Smite Feats

Bryan898

First Post
Ranged Smite appears in the Book of Exalted Deeds, basically gives you ranged smite without a range limit or costing extra smite uses.

Also, if you like Smiting abilities, the Fist of Raziel PrC from the Book of Exalted Deeds would be perfect for you.

victorysaber

First Post
Thanks for the comments everyone!

How about these revised versions?

ELEMENTAL SMITE [SMITE]
Prerequisite: Smite ability, base attack bonus +5.
Benefit: When you use your smite ability, you may choose to deal energy damage (acid, cold, fire, electricity, or sonic) instead. You may choose any type energy type when you use your smite.

RANGED SMITE [SMITE]
Prerequisite: Base attack bonus +7, smite ability.
Benefit: You may use your smite ability with all ranged attacks.

CONSERVATIVE SMITE [SMITE]
Prerequisite: Base attack bonus +2, smite ability.
Benefit: If you attempt a smite that is unsuccessful, it does not cost you a use of that ability. For example, if you use smite evil on a non-evil enemy, you do not use up that smite attempt; or if you smite an enemy and miss, you do not use up that smite attempt.

MULTIPLE SMITE [SMITE]
Prerequisite: Base attack bonus +11, smite ability, Conservative Smite
Benefit: If you attempt a smite during a full attack, you gain the attack and damage bonuses of the smite to all your attacks, instead of just a single attack. This does not cost you extra uses of your smite ability. However, you may not move from your current position for that round, not even with a 5-foot step.

SWIFT SMITE [SMITE]
Prerequisite: Base attack bonus +11, smite ability.
Benefit: As a swift action, you may attempt a smite with a single melee attack at your highest base attack bonus. If your target is ineligible for your smite ability, your attack does not hit, and you deal no damage or other effects. This ability costs you two uses of your smite ability.

POWERFUL SMITE [SMITE]
Prerequisite: Base attack bonus +6, smite ability, Conservative Smite
Benefit: As a full round action, you may attempt a smite with a single melee attack at your highest base attack bonus. All bonuses to attack and damage are doubled for this smite attempt.

Thondor

I run Compose Dream Games RPG Marketplace
I'm a little leary of Multiple Smite, it seems a little to powerful (especially in the case of a dual-wielder with the smite ability, rare yes but someone will see the potential benefit). I would be weary of imposing a rule against the 5ft step -- I don't think I've ever seen this except in the Dwarven defender ability.

I have a question about the Swift smite as well. Do you mean that if you make a swift smite attempt, and the opponent is ineligible for smiting (eg, non-evil) that the blow does 0 damage -- in effect there has been no attack?
I would suggest that the weapon should do regular damage and this should cost 2 smites even if the character has Conservative smite. (you could make it only cost 1 smite, effectively it is the one extra smite that allows you to make the attack in the first place)

I think the other Smite feats are very good. Let us know if you make any changes.

Multiple Smite just seems a bit overpowering for a paladin, meh. I don't mind Smites costing extra uses actually, although to encourage taking them I would say for every [Smite] feat you possessed, you gain 1 extra use of Smite per day. Elemental Smite seems weak because monsters usually aren't weak versus any particular element. Maybe allow paladins to add 3 damage per level when using an elemental smite (though they can only pick fire, cold, or lightning damage-acid and sonic usually aren't resisted so it would be unbalanced to add those to the mix). From a pure flavor/customization standpoint, E.S. is just cool for visual effect =)

Nice job.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads