Homebrew vs. Premade Campaign Worlds

Psion

Adventurer
Okay, though it looks like you are world building the "right" way, I see nothing astonishing or unusual about that. You took a cultural hook and built around it.

SHARK

First Post
Greetings!

Psion wrote--

Quote:

Ummm...and your point, Psion?:)

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK

Psion

Adventurer
SHARK said:
Ummm...and your point, Psion?:)

Actually, I was replying to bwgwl, who alluded to some technique of worldbuilding to accomodate campaign play afterwords which I asked about. I guess I was hoping for more of an epiphany than I got. :)

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
I always felt ephinanies were like cholocate sundaes. The first five or so are good and filling, after that, you get underwhelmed and fattened by them! ;)

bwgwl

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
So, bwgwl, do you have a website on this campaign setting? That sounds like a fun setting!

unfortunately, not yet.

currently, it's nothing more than several Word files and a handful of maps on my hard drive.

i prefer it to be in a bit more "polished" state before posting it to the web. the fact that i'm not currently running it (and won't for the forseeable future) is slowing the process considerably...

bwgwl

First Post
Psion said:
Actually, I was replying to bwgwl, who alluded to some technique of worldbuilding to accomodate campaign play afterwords which I asked about. I guess I was hoping for more of an epiphany than I got. :)

apologies for misleading you. :p

basically, i started with the style of campaign i wanted (something akin to the Sinbad stories in the Arabian Nights and the Harryhausen Sinbad movies), and then built the world that fit that campaign the best.

i knew i wanted the main religious turmoil between different factions of the same god instead of between different gods, necessitating a monotheistic religion.

and so on.

i'll admit, it's not much of an epiphany. i sate down and said, "what kind of campaign do i want?" and then built the world to support it.

before, i'd always built the world first and then asked, "What kind of adventures can i run here?"

Remove ads