• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Homebrew vs. Published settings

Homebrew versus Otherbrew

• I use homebrew settings exclusively. How else can I realize my unique vision of Wood Elves?

Votes: 27 16.7%
  • I love [insert published setting here]. And so should you, you philistines!

Votes: 29 17.9%
  • I use my own world, but freely import crap from other worlds.

Votes: 78 48.1%
  • I use a published setting, but twist is sickly. Oh yes, most sickly!

Votes: 23 14.2%
  • Homebrew? Huh? Sorry, as an insanely boring person, I don't drink.

Votes: 5 3.1%

Akrasia

Procrastinator
So are you a 'homebrew' DM? Or do you prefer to ply the goods of another's mind? Or do you like some mix of the two?

Quickleaf

Legend
A deceivingly simple question. :)
I'd have to say I'm a mixer of worlds. I had a lot of fun in some homebrewed mini-campaigns, Al-Qadim, a long planescape campaign, and some forays into ArsMagica, the World of Darkness, Shadowrun, and a little Traveler. However, recently my homebrew world is a fantasy egypt with strong political themes. I've ordered Hamunaptra: Egyptian Adventures (from Green Ronin), and anticipate using much of this material in my own campaign if it's anything like Nyambe. As for rules, I use lots of homebrew, though all are common sense (and pretty easy to use too).

How about you?

Turjan

Explorer
I suppose I do it like many people (as judged from previous surveys ;)): I have a homebrew, but I import things from other settings that I like or other generic ideas. Of course, it has to fit, and this means it takes often quite a bit of work to make it fit ;). I also use material from other games; this serves for a bit of spice in the mix :). Plus elements from (non-fantasy) novels, but I think this exceeds the scope of the question.

Last edited:

random user

First Post
Mine is original but pretty vanilla. Core classes, core races exist (though in this campaign all PCs must be human) more or less. I've allowed a couple non-core things (like the guildmage) but nothing that is wacky (no savage speices, half-[whatever] templates, psionics, etc).

Custom religion, a new custom non-playable race, new magic item variant... let's see... high power / high magic, but with an explanation of why things aren't totally out of whack.

If my players get high enough level, I've stolen some Planescape material. Other than that I haven't stolen much from other published d20 sources.

What I actually mostly steal from is books, movies, and other things. I recently took a trip to Las Vegas, and I'm hoping to incorporate some aspects of it into a city (which is proving to be challenging, actually).

Akrasia

Procrastinator
Crothian said:
Why would anyone import "crap" from other settings? I'd figure they would want to use the good stuff.

Please note that all the options have something that we might call "sarcasm" in their content!
:D

Brennin Magalus

First Post
I use my own world, but I gladly plunder from other worlds, including the otherwise awful Forgotten Realms, which should be scuttled after plundering.

Akrasia

Procrastinator
Here is a CRAZY earlier version of my homebrew (though versions of Ilmahal have existed since at least 1984).

http://www.diamondthrone.com/displaycontent.cfm?iConID=183&pf=true

I had to change it to "standard" D&D with my new group. (However, it would have been interesting to have run it with UA rules ... )

After running my last campaign, though, I am definitely moving towards the "rules lite" side of things.
:cool:

Either C&C, or a really 'pared down' version of 3E. :D

Turjan

Explorer
Akrasia said:
Here is a CRAZY earlier version of my homebrew (though versions of Ilmahal have existed since at least 1984).

I don't see what's crazy about this one. Okay, keeping track of 19 classes might be challenging :D. Many stories behind it can be found again in countless other homebrews. This is not meant to be a derogatory remark! It's just the concept of stealing from lots of different sources and putting together the conceived "best pieces" to a new, more or less coherent whole. I had to chuckle when I discovered quite a few elements of my own homebrew in your description :D.

Akrasia

Procrastinator
Turjan said:
I don't see what's crazy about this one. Okay, keeping track of 19 classes might be challenging :D. Many stories behind it can be found again in countless other homebrews. This is not meant to be a derogatory remark! It's just the concept of stealing from lots of different sources and putting together the conceived "best pieces" to a new, more or less coherent whole. I had to chuckle when I discovered quite a few elements of my own homebrew in your description :D.

I have no idea if this was meant as a compliment or a criticism (or neither, or both...). :lol:

But it was an interesting comment nonetheless -- thank you! :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads