• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Homebrew World looking for opinions

khyron1144

First Post
I'm not sure if I've been using the same world since I was in middle school with some major changes or if I've been using different worlds that are very similar and always have some of the same things.
The biggest change I've made is this time there's a new country called Freeland. At some point Freeland broke away from the Human Empire. Now Freeland is experimenting with radical new forms of government, like democracy or communism or anarchy. Many religions are present in Freeland, but none is the official religion of Freeland. Barbarians, civilized humans, dwarves, elves, halflings, gnomes, hlaf-orcs, goblinoids, saurials, and lizardfolk all rub shoulders as equals. In short it's a lot like the U.S.A. transported to a fantasy world.
One of the major geographic/political divisions in my world is The Beastlands. This is where the humanoid races that resemble anthropomorphic animals live. It isn't a very cohesive group. In fact, it's a lot of little kingdoms that the human empire is used to dealing with as a group. Some of the more prominent groups among the Beastlanders are the Bug Bears, Gnolls, Lizardfolk, Saurials, adn Ratm Men or Slitheren.
The Magocracy of Arcanum is where most wizards live. They're the longtime allies of the Human Empire.
The Human Empire is where the humans live. They're kind of based on ancient Greece and Rome. Most of the noble houses are named for a kind of metal or stone.
Aelfheim is where the elves live. They're the oldest living race and worship the Egyptian gods.
The Dwarven Mountains are where the dwarves live. It's also known as Svartaelfheim because it's also the home of the drow. Of course there are also illithid, orcs, goblins, kobolds and svirfneblin in these mountains too. The dwarves worship the Norse gods. Dwarves consider expert craftsmanship and martial skill the greatest of virtues.
Barbarian territory is just that. It lies to the north of the empire and serves as a useful buffer against the Jotuns further to the north. The barbarians worship the Norse gods. In their culture to die of old age or disease is the greatest possible dishonor and to die on the battlefield is the greatest possible honor. They are divided into a number of tribes, each tribe being named for an animal that they either keep as companions or that they hunt.
Goblinoid territory is where the goblinoids who aren't living in the Dwarven Mountains live. No civilized man has ever studied the "culture" of the goblinoids.
Jotunheim is where the giants live. It is believed that they worship the Norse gods, but put most of their emphasis on Loki and Surt.
The Grand Shire is where most of the halflings live. They have a very rigid system of social classes. Downward mobility (having to become a peasant and work the land) is very easy; all you have to do is offend the Khan once. Upward mobility (leaving the peasant class to become a free halfling) is next to impossible; a hundred great deeds that the Khan looks kindly on is not even sufficient to get you there. I haven't actually chosen a pantheon for the halflings, but I'm leaning towards the Chinese, Japanese, or Indian mythos.

Places to go in and around the human empire
1) The village of Hamm: A peaceful farming vilage. A lot of the young adults from here become adventurers because it's too peaceful.
2) The capital: This where you want to go if you're looking for a job.
3) Gravemarker: A border town close to goblinoid territory and the Beasttlands. It's constantly getting raided.
4) The Sorceresses's forest: A forest just outside of Gravemarker guarded by dryads or nymphs with considerable magical power.
5) The Pit: A mine that the humans have abandoned. Close to gravemarker. It's likely that goblinoids or some sort of nasty creatures have taken up residence here.
6) Firebird: A rival border town. Closer to the Beastlands than the goblinoids.
7) Hells' Mouth Keep: An abandoned castle said to be built overtop a portal to the Nine Hells.
8) Martin Dragonblood's Tower: an abandoned tower that belonged to the emperor's greates mage.
9) The BIG Dungeon: A place where heroes go to prove themselves. New rooms and floors open up each visit until the heroes have defeated a thousand rooms worth of challenges.
[I welcome feedback. The things that I'm posting first are the things that I think a PC from the Human Empire ought to start out knowing. I might turn it into a printable document to use a handout one of these days.]

Rules Changes
Expanded subtypes: I've decided to create some new subtypes based on aproximate taxonomic categories of certain monsters. The new subtypes are: Ursine (bear-like), Feline (cat-like), Canine (dog-like), Simian (ape or monkey-like), Avian (bird-like) and Rodent .
Recategorization:
Bug Bears are no longer goblinoids. They are now ursine.
Kobolds are no longer reptillian. They are now rodent.
Orcs and grimlocks are now goblinoids.
And Owl Bears are both ursine and avian.

Drakmar

Explorer
sounds interesting. and thanks.. you just game me an idea for the campaign world I am working on at the moment.

One of the npc groups that I am working on is.... canabil jungle halflings.. so.. maybe I should give them a Khan.. with that kind of clan government..

incognito

First Post
ok, so this is thread hiking, at it's worst

Drakmar,

Give the halfling 'brachiation' as a bonus feat. This is he ability to more through trees swinging from branch to brach. They would need opposable toes too.

Muahaha!

Gorilla726

First Post
AWESOME!

Hey, if you could get a map of that out, I would love to use that as my campaign world. I would recommend Hexmapper. I'll give it a shot, but I'm only good at the basics. Awesome job! See ya!

Gorilla

khyron1144

First Post
Map

Right now my map is on a sheet of graph paper.
All of the countries in my world are rectangular to make mapping on graph paper easier.
Can anybody recomend a free, map program for the Mac (classic OS 9.0 or so) and possibly supply a link?

khyron1144

First Post
History Lesson

About thirty years ago the area now known as Freeland was part of the Human Empire. A large number of serfs in this area were discontent with their lot in life and decided to stage a revolt. For reasons I have not yet determined, this revolt was a lot more succesful than previous peasant uprisings. The serfs in this area somehow managed to gain support from the dwarves and elves, some fugitive halfling serfs (as well as a few ronin), and even beastlanders and goblinoids. During the final battle of this war the current Emperor, Cestus Steel, died; Martin Dragonblood, Royal Mage-Champion, disappeared; and Redwolf Magni's-child, the General of the Armies of the Human Empire (there is along tradition of barbarians acting as generals for the civilized men in my world), abandoned the Imperial cause and joined the rebel serfs.
What is not known to the general populace is that the Empire's bad luck was at least partly caused by Lucifer, who saw this revolution as a great oppurtunity to further the cause of freedom.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads