• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Homebrew worlds and "borrowing"...

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
Although I don't use published campaign settings, I borrow extensively from them to help me build my homebrew campaign setting.

For homebrew builders out there, do you do this also and what sources do you borrow from? Or do you operate under the hope that one day your homebrew will be the next Eberron or Forgotten Realms and therefore attempt to keep outside influences out of it?

BenjErik

First Post
Original Ideas

Every time I think of an original idea, it turns out that it has already been used or published in some other product... So, my homebrew pretty much borrows and adapts crunch, fluff, and tidbits from pretty much everywhere and meshes it all into a setting that I like to think is unique and has its own flavor. The trick is changing it up enough that your players don't recognize the source! :cool:

pawsplay

Hero
crazypixie said:
Although I don't use published campaign settings, I borrow extensively from them to help me build my homebrew campaign setting.

For homebrew builders out there, do you do this also and what sources do you borrow from? Or do you operate under the hope that one day your homebrew will be the next Eberron or Forgotten Realms and therefore attempt to keep outside influences out of it?

I'd like to point out that Eberron borrows heavily from pulp, steampulp, and urban fantasy sources as well as anime, while Forgotten Realms borrowed Lolth and the drow from Greyhawk.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
I'm sure I'm influenced by other settings, but I've tried to keep direct ideas from published campaign settings out of it. Not because I have any aspirations to publish, but because once I start borrowing from a setting, there are other pieces that seem to make sense to also include, or it might not make sense not to include.

Honestly I would like to avoid my players saying "Oh, yeah, just like in Setting X," because it also might have them making incorrect assumptions about other things that are like that setting.

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
pawsplay said:
I'd like to point out that Eberron borrows heavily from pulp, steampulp, and urban fantasy sources as well as anime, while Forgotten Realms borrowed Lolth and the drow from Greyhawk.

I was just throwing those out there as well known published settings.

pawsplay

Hero
crazypixie said:
I was just throwing those out there as well known published settings.

But with what aim? If your homebrewed setting were the "next Forgotten Realms," it would include a ton of borrowed material.

EricNoah

Adventurer
I think he means that if you really want to create the next Realms or Eberron, you're not going to borrow other people's trademarked/copyright-protected names, characters, etc.

If you're homebrewing with no aspirations to publish, such borrowing is no problem. If you're homebrewing with aspirations to publish you need original material (even if it is derivative).

painandgreed

First Post
I borrow as little as possible. I try to fit in things from the rule books such as races and classes, but not other campaigns. The only real overt thing I've borrowed is the 1E D&D non-humn dieties and I've changed them in pretty much everything but name and race.

No thoughts of being the next campaign setting.

Rhun

First Post
My homebrew is a mish-mash of originality and things borrowed from other sources. I don't plan on it ever beeing published, so no big deal.

Remove ads