• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Homosexuality among eladrin

benfromidaho

First Post
And I agree that treating bigotry as an evil on par with dragons is a great way to do that.

This is probably my favorite thing EVER! Seriously though, it didn't even occur to me that an increase in homosexuality could result because of the near extinction of one gender, but in my opinion it totally makes sense. I do agree that it will totally depend group to group, but my group of late 20s professionals can totally handle something like this an I'm very intrigued to weave this challenge into our game. Even if it doesn't become the main focus of any adventures. It will definitely add to the realism of the setting.

Ajar

Explorer
Lots of interesting feedback! My group are all progressive thirtysomething professionals; I don't see any issue at all with tackling some real-life issues like bigotry in an RPG with this group. It isn't something I've ever tried before, but when my player asked what society at large would think of a gay eladrin, it got me thinking about the possibilities. I've run or played in RPGs that featured persecution of a certain class of people -- often magic-users -- and on the whole I'd say I generally prefer not to leverage that very heavily in my games.

That said, I think there are some interesting possibilities here. What I think I'll do is what Whizbang and Shisumo suggested -- not have any sort of pervasive persecution, but have the occasional eladrin NPC who reacts negatively to it. That allows the us to explore the RP space without having it be integral to the campaign. I really like Shisumo's take on it -- "I'd still be gay if there were eladrin women on every street corner."

Thanks a lot for all of the input! :)

Remove ads