• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Honor Herrington D20

Imperialus

Explorer
For the past few months I've been voraciously reading David Weber's Honor Herrington series and I've been toying with the idea of doing a D20 conversion of the series. I've done a few google searches but wasn't able to find anything anyone else had done so I was wondering if anyone around here knew of any conversions? I'm always in favor of using someone elses work rather than trying to build something from square 1.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Good for you, I've been reading the Honorverse since the very first book, my favorite sci-fi series. Right when GURPS 4e came out I thought about it, but I just don't have the time. Now there's a miniatures wargame I think by the people who did Traveller, have to check the CD in AT ALL COSTS to be sure. No RPGs though so if you want to feel free.

solomoncane

First Post
QLI had been working on an Honorverse version of T20, but AFAIK it's vapor now.
I'm not sure where the rights stand.
You may want to check with Hunter Gordon at QLI: travellerrpg.com.

Johnny Angel

Explorer
I've only read the first book, but based on the efforts others have already put into cataloging the elements that make up the Honorverse, here's at least a preliminary outline of what a conversion would entail:

I. Starships
* Create d20-friendly rules for the FTL concept
* Convert starship weapons to their nearest d20 equivalent, using the Wikipedia entry as a guide. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weapons_technology_in_the_Honorverse
* Create d20 versions of all the classes of ships in the Honorverse, some of which can probably be adapted directly from the ship classifications of the same name already listed in d20 Future, perhaps with changes that accord with the list of weapons available in The Honorverse. You may find that my d20 Starships spreadsheet, linked to in my .sig, will help with that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacecraft_in_the_Honorverse http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ships_in_the_Honorverse
* There are special defensive considerations with the "sidewalls" and "wedges" used in the books, and probably other things I haven't read about yet. Since the tactical aspect is important in the books, the d20 Future system may be kind of weak in itself for those purposes. The original Blood & Space has a system detailed enough that it may be more easily adapted to these technicalities. What I've seen of the starship combat system in T20 suggests it might also be more detailed. I myself use a version of the old Alternity Warships system, adapted to be playable under d20 mechanics.

II. Aliens/Creatures
* Convert the treecat
* Convert those alien things from that planet in Basilisk station

III. Characters
* New Starting Occupations, as suggested by the books?
* Feats. I think just adding the stuff from Blood & Space 2 will probably do the trick. It's got options not only for starship combat, but for military training.
* Skills. Again, Blood & Space 2 for new skill uses should cover it. It bugs me that d20 Future puts Sensors, Comm and Computer Use all in the same skill, but there you go.
* Prestige Classes. Blood & Space 2, plus design any suggested by the novels themselves.
* Homeworlds. Dawning Star OQL has feats and talents related to familiarity with worlds and sectors. It would be useful to divide up the Honorverse into the options available for such character backgrounds. Also, I note that Harrington is from a high-g world, for which there's a feat in d20 Future. It would be useful to the players to have a list of what worlds are appropriate to what Planetary Adaptation feats. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honorverse

IV. Gearlists - An important component of a game setting. Having it colated in one place makes life easier on the players and the GM.
* Weapons. Stat out weapons from the books with their nearest equivalent in d20 Future. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weapons_technology_in_the_Honorverse#Personal_and_ground-based_weapons
* Armor. I don't know of any, but probably there is some. What were those marines wearing in On Basilisk Station?
* Gear. Get all the goods mentioned in the books, and possibly cull through what's presented in d20 Future and d20 Future Tech for what's available at the current tech level, not stupidly unbalanced and matches the flavor of the campaign setting. There is also gear listed in the Future Players' Companions.

I think that's about the scope of the project. What am I missing?

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Looks about right.

My wife is nuts for Honor so she was very excited when the news came down that T20 would have an Honorverse sourcebook.

Then it sort of just turned into vaporware. I don't know anybody that would be terribly needing to play an Honorverse RPG other than my wife. The group I'm in now already has a 2-3 year backlog of games people want to run.

This is what you get when you've got a group where five of five people like to GM.

--fje

drothgery

First Post
Johnny Angel said:
IV. Gearlists - An important component of a game setting. Having it colated in one place makes life easier on the players and the GM.
* Armor. I don't know of any, but probably there is some. What were those marines wearing in On Basilisk Station?

Marine skinsuits - light armor/spacesuit
Marine battle armor - powered armor/spacesuit (almost a micro-mecha), configurable to provide different levels of enhances strength and/or speed

You'll probably want some pretty good unarmed combat rules for flavor's sake.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Blood and Fists?

Note that I stopped reading them about three books into the series. I liked the naval combat, but it's Horatio Hornblower (Honor Harrington ... MINDBENDER!) in space, really, and the "As The Galaxy Turns" melodrama forced me to set them down.

I'm going through a: "I don't need any melodrama, thanks." period. Rereading old Doc Savage books. Pow, Kapooey! Right in the kisser!

--fje

Johnny Angel

Explorer
The Horatio Hornblower comparison is apt, of course, but I'm given to understand that Harrington's story is more directly a science-fiction retelling of the career of Admiral Nelson, right down to losing an eye at some point.

Hmmm... come to think of it, I do in fact have the Cosmic Fury for Blood & Space 2, but I haven't really had occasion to use it or incorporate it into my chargen. I'm not sure if it has the kind of flavor that the martial arts in the Harrington books did. From the one I read, it seemed like it was more straight-forward punches-and-throws. The stuff in Cosmic Fury is more, well, cosmic.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads