• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hook Hand

arnon

Explorer
I'm going to run a Skull & Bones campaign shortly and one of my characters starts of with a Hook Hand (due to him taking the "Old Salt" fortune).

He asked me if he might use the hook as a weapon. This of course will be with all due penalties for TWF with the hook considered a light weapon doing perhaps 1d4 damage(?)

Also I've been thinking that i might let him use the hook to parry* (if he so wishes) at a penalty of course. But since he hook is held to the stump, I've been thinking that it should further hurt him to use it this way. Perhaps a fortitude save (not necessarily very high) or receive a -1 penalty to attack and checks due to pain.

What do you think?

*Parrying in Skull & Bones: A mechanic that allows you to sacrifice an attack in order to roll an opposed check to parry an attack that would otherwise hit you. Parrying thus also compels the character to take an attack or full attack action on his\her next round.

arnon

Darklone

I used such things... in normal D&D campaigns though. I used it as a buckler that was a weapon as well and gave it a +2 bonus to disarm.

Otherwise it's weaker than a normal light shield.

Wasn't there some rules stuff in the Freeport Campaign?

arnon

Explorer
I used it as a buckler that was a weapon as well and gave it a +2 bonus to disarm.

I like the +2 bonus to disarm.

Wasn't there some rules stuff in the Freeport Campaign?

Not that I remember.

OK, let me put this in a more ordered fashion:

Hook hand
Damage 1d4 Critical 20/x2
Special Since this weapon is "held" in the off hand, penalties for two weapon fighting with a light weapon applies. +2 on disarm attempts.

Simm

First Post
Maybe also

Special: Immposible to disarm, since the weapon is strapped to your forearm, an enemy may not try to disarm you of it.

arnon

Explorer
Simm said:
Maybe also

Special: Impossible to disarm, since the weapon is strapped to your forearm, an enemy may not try to disarm you of it.

That seems improbable that i didn't even think about it. :D

Darklone

Simm said:
Maybe also

Special: Immposible to disarm, since the weapon is strapped to your forearm, an enemy may not try to disarm you of it.
I assumed this was already the case ;)

I'd give it a bigger critical threat range and use it as a martial weapon... or make it a little bit better and turn it into an Exotic Weapon. I like that because it means the PC has to practise to learn how to use his new "hand".

No +1 shield bonus?

Personally I always liked to fight with parry shields/hooks/bucklers with blades.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads