• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Horde of the Dragon Queen Bonds

SuperZero

First Post
They really should be in an easier to access place. Dunno why they were in the book instead of the pdf supplement...

As the Cult of the Dragon has grwn bolder, its actions have drawn attention. Your character has stumbled into the Cult's scheme in some manner or has a connection to dragons. The following tables provide you with bonds tailored to the campaign. Use them in place of or in addition to the ones you selected from (or created for) your background.

Bond (d10)
1. Leosin Erlanthar, a wandering monk, once saved your life. He's sent urgent word for you to meet him in a small town called Greenest. Looks like it's time to pay off that debt.
2. When an orc raid drove your family from your home, the people of Greenest took you in. Anyone who threatens Greenest is your sworn enemy.
3. Every five nights, you have a strange sequence of apocalyptic dreams. The world is destroyed by cold, choking fumes, lightning storms, waves of acid, and horrible fire. Each time, the dream ends with ten evil eyes glaring at you from the darkness. You feel a strange compulsion to travel to Greenest. Perhaps the answer to the riddle of your dreams awaits you there.
4. Ontharr Frume, a crusading warrior and champion of good, is your friend and mentor. He has asked you to travel to Greenest is search of rumors of increasing dragon activity.
5. You have heard rumors that your close childhood friend,a half-elf named Talis, has been kidnapped by a strange group of dragon cultists. Your investigations into the cult have led you to the town of Greenest. You must save her!
6. Being the grandchild of a renowned dragon slayer is usually a good way to impress people, but just last week a gang of ruffians attacked you. You barely escaped with your life, but as you fled the ruffians told you that the Cult of the Dragon never forgets and always avenges. You're hoping to lie low in a sleepy little town called Greenest until this blows over.
7. On his deathbed, your father confessed that he had become involved in a group called the Cult of the Dragon. They paid him to smuggle goods across the Sword Coast. Wracked by guilt, he begged your to investigate the cult and undo the evil he may have helped foster. He urged you to begin your search in a town called Greenest.
8. The dragons destroyed everything you hold dear. They killed your family and destroyed your home. Now, with nothing but what you carry on your back and a horrid scar of the near fatal wounds you sustained in the attack, you seek revenge.
9. You and your family were members of the Cult of the Dragon, until your rivals in the cult arranged to wipe you out. Though they slaughtered your kin, you survived--but they think you're dead, and now is your chance for vengeance! Your hit list consists of three names: A human cultist named Frulam Mondath, a half-orc named Bog Luck, and a half-dragon named Rezmir. You have arrived in Greenest, knowing it's the next on the cult's list of targets.
10. You have a secret. You once were a gold dragon who served Bahamut. You were too proud and vain, to the point that Bahamut decided to teach you a lesson. You have been trapped in a weak, humanoid body, with your memories of your former life but a dim shadow. You remember only one thing with perfect clarity: Bahamut's command to go into the world and prove your devotion to the cause of good. If you prove worthy, on your death you will return to his side in your true form.

Below are two optional features that you can choose in place of the feature granted by your background.
Cult of the Dragon Infiltrator
You have infiltrated the ranks of the Cult of the Dragon. Having spied on the organization for quite some time, you are familiar with its inner workings and customs. You have a second identity as an initiate of the cult, enough of a facade to blend in as a simple grunt or servant.
Dragon Scholar
You have studied dragons and their lore for many years. You can automatically identify locations built or used by dragons, and you can identify dragon eggs and scales by sight. If you fail an Intelligence check to recall lore relating to dragons, you know someone or some book you can consult for the answer unless the DM rules that the lore is unknown.

James Butcher

First Post
Sorry for necromancering this post, but I just started this campaign and I rolled ten. Any ideas on how to RP this? half-elf sorc, draconic ancestry.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Any ideas on how to RP this?
Are you familiar with the DragonLance mythos?
One of my PCs had the same background. When the party met an Ancient Dragon (in Rise of Tiamat), he took in a good whiff of the group's scent, and for the rest of the encounter addressed the ex-dragon and only the ex-dragon. He spoke of everybody else in the group in the third person. He called the ex-dragon "Canary". As in (just after the Archer Ranger got a crit with an Arrow of Dragon Slaying) "WHEEZE COUGH HACK I see you brought a competent archer with you, Canary. It won't matter in the end because I will still destroy you all. I should save him for second-last, as a complement. You, Canary, I will allow to observe how a true dragon deals with our lessers."

Talk with your DM about how to integrate this into the campaign.
- You have strange dreams, sometimes they are all too vivid - flying through the sky, settling cozily upon a hoard of coins, swooping down upon a flock of sheep for a tasty bite of meat, attacking a band of (would-be) dragon hunters with breath and tail and claw.
- You want to climb trees to get a higher view of the situation; being down on the ground and looking at the scene is so confining.
- Once in a while you think you should be able to finish off the enemy(-ies) solo.
- Describe your top-end magical attack as a breath weapon: "I go 'HHhhhhoooo' and cast Witch Bolt."
- Irrational desire to get a pair of armored gloves with a dagger attached, to replace the claws that aren't on your hands.
- You scope out underground places for their potential as a future lair, when this current life-phase of wandering is completed.
- Much like a Paladin, you will stand between the weak / helpless / innocent and those who would cause them harm. Being a sorcerer, you prefer to do so when the bad guys are at some little distance.
- Everybody else puts his GP into a coin purse. YOU sew / glue them inside your (thermal underwear -like) shirt, placed like overlapping scales.
- You want to be recognized and acknowledged and agreed with by Good-alignment Dragons; it feels in-natural and wrong for them to argue with you.
- You don't want to cooperate with Giants, it's like Hatfields and McCoys to you, but you won't provoke a needless fight.
- You like to just listen to songbirds, especially yellow ones. You keep thinking you used to understand their words.
- Get a Whip and use its range. Always turn away from your target; the Whip is your 'tail'.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
My group includes a PC with the "former gold dragon" bond. His big thing is that even in human form, he still loves sleeping on piles of gold. Any time the group found treasure, he would curl up on top of it. He would always refer to his personal money as his "hoard," and as soon as it got decently large, he would spread it out at night to sleep on.

Also, after the end of Rise of Tiamat, I gave him a message from Bahamut offering to restore some of his dragony features. He accepted and was transformed into a Dragonborn.

Remove ads