• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Horizon Walker (Planer Warrior ability)

Not a Hobbit

Explorer
So I know that there are a lot of really smart people who can do the math for this, but is the Planer Warrior ability (3rd Level Horizon Walker Ranger) really balanced? I mean, I know it's in Xanathar's, so it has been tested and such, but...

Here's what it says:
"As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The next time you hit that creature on this turn with a weapon attack, all damage dealt by the attack becomes force damage, and the creature takes an extra 1d8 force damage from the attack. When you reach 11th level in this class, the extra damage increases to 2d8."

It seems to me that this ability has 2x the damage of a Fighter with a longsword (1d8 v. 2d8 at 3rd level, 2d8 v. 4d8 at 5th-10th level, 3d8 v.6d8 at 11th level)

And the same with Paladins. Granted Paladins can smite, but it uses a spell slot, whereas the Ranger can get this with every attack. Even at 11th level, when the Paladin gets an extra 1d8 radiant, the Ranger then gets 2d8 of force.

In addition, all of the damage becomes force damage, which as far as I know is resisted by one creature (Helmed Horror). This includes any sneak attack damage from multi-classed Ranger/Rogues.

Would anyone mind working out the numbers for me? As you may have guessed, I have a Ranger who wants to take this subclass and eventually multiclass into Rogue.

Thanks in advance.

--Scott

darius0

Explorer
Seems like it just applies to one attack during your action and uses your bonus action. Rogues (the eventually multiclass) generally use the bonus action to get away from whatever they hit, this is just another option. Not overpowered in my opinion.

Definitely not overpowered:

(a) All Ranger subclasses have a 3rd-level feature to get some extra damage in some form or another. This is the Horizon Walker's way of doing so.
(b) It uses your bonus action every round. Making it one of the more action-intensive extra damage features among Ranger subclasses.
(c) Said bonus action means you have a choice to make between using this or tagging an enemy with Hunter's Mark.
(d) This damage only boosts one of your hits that turn.

Basically, what Planar Warrior does is give a consistent bonus action boost to damage to build types that don't normally have them, such as sword-and-board, great weapon or longbow users.

And it conflicts with dual-wielding, Polearm Master and Crossbow Expert. On the one hand, that makes the Horizon Walker the least effective at taking advantage of those. But on the other hand, the Horizon Walker can use a shield for the extra defense instead of a second weapon (and take Dueling Fighting Style instead of TWF), or in the case of the latter two, save an ASI/feat for something else.

It's an interesting feature. But definitely not overpowered, or really even especially strong. It's just OK, power-wise.

I'm sure it's fine. Compare it to the Hunter abilities at 3rd level and you'll see it's roughly equivalent. The fact that it scales probably indicates that the archetype's level 11 ability doesn't increase damage like the level 11 Ranger archetypes normally do.

The issue with Ranger, and this is one of the reasons that Beastmaster does so poorly, is that essentially all of the Ranger's combat ability comes from the archetype. All base Ranger gets you is: Fighting Style, Extra Attack, and Ranger Spellcasting (for what it's worth, though Hunter's Mark is decent). The other primary abilities of the class (Favored Enemy and Natural Explorer) are all but pointless in combat, and the remaining class abilities are stealth related. Everything else that might make you better in combat comes from the archetype. That's why Ranger archetypes tend to look super good or like they add a lot of damage. They have to. The base class doesn't have any combat abilities.

As far as making things force damage, I don't think that counts for much. It's only marginally better than, "Your weapon attacks count as magical," meaning it doesn't do anything in 99% of encounters once the PC has a magic weapon.

Ranger Spellcasting (for what it's worth, though Hunter's Mark is decent).

It's quite a bit better than just Hunter's Mark. Goodberry, Silence, Spike Growth, Pass Without Trace, Conjure Animals, Freedom of Movement, Conjure Volley and Swift Quiver are all quality spells. And if you have XGTE, you can get Absorb Elements, Healing Spirit and Guardian of Nature which are all great. Spellcasting is actually a saving grace for the base Ranger class. The only thing that's subpar about it is the low number of learned spells.

Not a Hobbit

Explorer
You know, I read "The next time you hit that creature on this turn" a bizillion times (at least), and it still never registered in my poor dumb brain that that would only be once per turn. Thanks for pointing it out. I feel silly now.

:blush:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads