• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Horizon Walker Question

Malin Genie

First Post
The Horizon Walker can gain the Planar Terrain Mastery - Shifting ability, which grants the spell-like ability to dimension door. In the description it states (DMG190) 'You have the ability to use the ever-shifting nature of planes such as Limbo and the Plane of Shadows to travel faster. You instinctively anticipate shifts in the reality of the plane that bring you closer to your destination....'

To me that implies that the ability works only in planes where 'reality' does indeed 'shift', but earlier in the Horizon Walker entry it states 'Horizon walkers take their terrain mastery with them where they go. They retain their terain mastery bonuses ... whether actually in the relevant terrain or not.'

So can a high-level Horizon Walker dimension door around a 'normal' plane like the Prime Material?

Last edited:

pvandyck

First Post
Malin Genie said:
To me that implies that the ability works only in planes where 'reality' does indeed 'shift', but earlier in the Horizon Walker entry it states 'Horizon walkers take their terrain mastery with them where they go. They retain their terain mastery bonuses ... whether actually in the relevant terrain or not.'

So can a high-level Horizon Walker dimension door around a 'normal' plane like the Prime Material?

You excerpted the rule, and you shouldn't do that. The rule states:

Horizon walkers take their terrain mastery with them wherever they go. They retain their terrain mastery bonuses on skill checks, attack rolls, and damage rolls whether they’re actually in the relevant terrain or not.

They only retain THOSE bonuses. No dim-door unless you are on a plane where that makes sense.

Though, looking over how it's written, I understand your question. I also understand why a powergamer in my game was planning on taking it. He would have been angry with when I told him that he wasn't going to get the fire resistance 20 unless he was in a terrain I deemed Planar (Fire).

pvandyck

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
I asked the Sage this question, and he says the ability works everywhere. You can dimension door every 1d4 rounds no matter what plane you're on.

The DMG example points out that you keep your fatigue immunity when you're outside the desert; similarly, you keep your darkvision and fire resistance and other abilities no matter what terrain or plane you're in.

Last edited:

shilsen

Adventurer
AuraSeer said:
I asked the Sage this question, and he says the ability works everywhere. You can dimension door every 1d4 rounds no matter what plane you're on.

The DMG example points out that you keep your fatigue immunity when you're outside the desert; similarly, you keep your darkvision and fire resistance and other abilities no matter what terrain or plane you're in.
Sad, but true ;)

ARandomGod

First Post
Malin Genie said:
The Horizon Walker can gain the Planar Terrain Mastery - Shifting ability, which grants the spell-like ability to dimension door. In the description it states (DMG190) 'You have the ability to use the ever-shifting nature of planes such as Limbo and the Plane of Shadows to travel faster. You instinctively anticipate shifts in the reality of the plane that bring you closer to your destination....'

Those planes overlay and are partially present in the material plane, hence you can use them on the material plane, you constantly have access to them.

Yes, HW is a pretty powerful class, and only partially due to this. Tell the GM what you're considering and work out what the rules will be before taking the class, how the DD will be resolved, etc.

Malin Genie

First Post
ARandomGod said:
Tell the GM what you're considering and work out what the rules will be before taking the class, how the DD will be resolved, etc.

Actually, I'm planning on taking it in Living Greyhawk, so rather than discussing with the DM (which would definitely be the best course in a home game,) I'm really after an 'official' ruling, if there is such a thing.

Li Shenron

Legend
Malin Genie said:
To me that implies that the ability works only in planes where 'reality' does indeed 'shift'...

I think the idea of this description is not that you use DD when you are inside e.g. the Plane of Shadow, but that you use the connections between the material plane (or another) with the PoS to effectively replicate the effects of a DD.

With this idea, HW's DD would work in any plane which is coterminous with the PoS, or with the Limbo, or eventually even other planes as the DM wishes.

I have alwyas thought that game-wise it was supposed to work anywhere :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads