• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Horned Hold dumb question

wildoxmoan

First Post
Does anyone have any suggestions (half baked would be acceptable) as to why the Asmodeus lovin' duegar of the Horned Hold (H2 Thunderspire Mountain) would be supplying slaves to the Blackfang gnolls so they can summon their demon lord to take over the mountain?
Are the gnolls keeping the purpose of the slaves a secret from the gray dwarves?
The dwarves don't particularily care what the gnolls are up to?
Asmodeus approves of the demon prince calling the shots?

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I would go for the gnolls keeping their purposes secret from the Duegar (nobody but the gnolls are pure enough to understand Yeenoghs plans, right?).

The Duegar are thus money-minded first, worshippers of Asmodeus second (notice that they don't have a shrine or anything like that set up in the horned hold. They probably just give a bit of lip service to the idea ;)) Why should they care that the gnolls are prepared to pay top gp for some worthless slaves?

That's the way I'd go.

Thaed

First Post
Of course the WotC modules are taking you through the full tour of demon and devil worshipping cults. Orcus in H1, Asmodeous, Baphomet, and Yeenoghou H2. More to come in the next modules you'll find out.

So enemies of PC = demon and/or devil worshiper

One alternative (that doesn't quite work with Asmodeous, but you could make it work) is to propose something more sinister. That they are just pawns to the dark dieties they worship.

My campaign is moving along that line having incoporated some of the official modules.

Check out the Manual of the Planes. There are some hints there that some of the demons and perhaps a devil or two may have worked together in the past and could be now or in the future.

Could build for a subtle lead in for an epic end game. United demon lords attempting to destroy the parties dieties with only the epic heros to step in the way.

My players just figure that nearly every one worships someone different, but they are all willing to work together to further their goals. A gold piece spends the same from minions of Orcus or followers of Moradin.

Have fun.

Remove ads