• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Horses, dragging, and it's affect on speed/round.

mrtauntaun

First Post
Hi all. The SRD states a Heavy Warhorse can drag 4500 pounds. If the horse is dragging something, how does that reflect the heavy warhorse's speed per round (normally 50 ft). Also, if three heavy warhorses were all dragging something like a wagon or cart, would they be able to drag 13500 pounds, or does that number change. And how does it affect the speed with multiple beats as well. Thanx a bunch!!!!!

The Souljourner

First Post
I'd assume it's 5' per round, like the "lift over head" column, though it doesn't say in the SRD (don't have my books with me).

I would also expect that drag weights would simply add, if sufficient hardware were present to efficiently combine the horses' dragging power, and that each added horse would increase the drag speed appropriately (so 2 horses drag 4500 pounds at 10' per round, 3 at 15, up to 10 at the normal 50... though how you'd attach 10 horses to one object and have them move easily, I don't know).

That also makes for an interesting corollary - that a single horse can drag 450 pounds without slowing down.

-The Souljourner

shilsen

Adventurer
I'd go with the 5' per round at max dragging capacity too. Also note that rough ground and similar circumstances can drop the capacity by a great deal.

FireLance

Legend
I'd use the "Cart or Wagon" entry in the table that lists hourly and daily movement for mounts and vehicles (Table 9-6, p 164 in the 3.5e PH). It lists the speed of a cart or wagon as 2 miles per hour, which is equivalent to a base speed of 20 ft.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads