• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hosting Compiled Story Hours

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Lazybones said:
Ah, we all know PC has an intern or something hitting "refresh" all day to get that page count up so high. That's the only explanation I can think of for that ungodly 95,000+ views.

Don't be ridiculous. It's a macro.

I hadn't noticed that either. I'm not a big fan of ranking systems in general (and in fact, that's why we turned them off in this forum first.)

I've asked Morrus to remove the line. The problem with using views as an indicator of popularity is that it doesn't necessarily recognize the vast number of superb story hours that not everyone has discovered yet. Mine may get greater recognition because I'm an admin, but I'm certainly not the best writer on the boards.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'll tell you what - I'll compromise. I'll change the wording to "my personal favourites" (which is what it reflects) and move it to below the list of Story Hours - but I'm reserving my right to offer an opinion; it's no different really to my "The best of the best" sections on the links and electronic aids pages.

arwink

Clockwork Golem
On the plus side - without Morrus' recommendations, I probably wouldn't have come here. I clicked on the link by accident when it was news. I gave it a quick glance since it was there, but it was actually having two or three pointed out as being a good example of what the story-hour thing was all about that really tempted me to check a few out. Ordinarilly, I just glance at what's there and figure i'll come back later, if and when I have the time to find the threads and stories I like.

This time, I lost about two days of my life trying to catch up with Piratecat's storyhour. Still working my way through the others.

Enkhidu

Explorer
arwink said:
On the plus side - without Morrus' recommendations, I probably wouldn't have come here. I clicked on the link by accident when it was news. I gave it a quick glance since it was there, but it was actually having two or three pointed out as being a good example of what the story-hour thing was all about that really tempted me to check a few out. Ordinarilly, I just glance at what's there and figure i'll come back later, if and when I have the time to find the threads and stories I like.

This time, I lost about two days of my life trying to catch up with Piratecat's storyhour. Still working my way through the others.

Hey arwink!

If you're new to this UBB thing, then try QUOTEing this post, and look at the link that I am posting below. Just copy the text, and add it to your sig!

The Seventeen Branded Story Hour

See?

Hope it helps...

Edited because I can't spell to save my life...

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Most of them are, Ferret. Some are non-campaign original fantasy fiction (and are labeled as such). Some stick pretty closely to what happens in-game, and some utilize of artistic license.

I think people like them because the good ones are veritable gold mines of sneaky campaign ideas to steal - err, borrow. Really fun reads, too.

ForceUser

Explorer
I guess I'm the artistic license-type writer. I take the events that occur in my game and write them up as though they were a fantasy novel; other guys write it play-by-play. I do try to keep the dialogue and place descriptions close to how it was said/described in-game though. I mostly like to embellish the combats, adding a twirl here and a grunt there for dramatic effect. DM's prerogative :D

Remove ads