• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E HotDQ: Skimpy treasure compared to LMoP

Bumamgar

First Post
Am I missing something, or is there really no magical treasure given out in HotDQ till Episode 6, at which point the party should be 5th level?

In other words, for the portion of the adventure which overlaps Lost Mines of Phandelver (1st - 5th level) there is zero magical treasure, but in the starter set, a party will have potentially obtained two magical staves, several +1 weapons, a ring of protection and a wand?

This, to me, seems quite uneven. I get that 5e is designed to be a bit lower-magic than prior editions, but this lack of consistency between the only two official adventures currently available makes it pretty hard to know what an appropriate amount of magical treasure is.

this lack of consistency between the only two official adventures currently available makes it pretty hard to know what an appropriate amount of magical treasure is.

The thing is: there's no appropriate amount of magical treasure. Characters are supposed to go just fine without magical treasure, place it at your own risk. What most of us are expecting, it seems, are some guidelines about how much tougher a party is when they have access to things like +1 swords and rings of protection. DMG, we hope, will cover that.

Remove ads