• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

House of Gryphon Hill-I10

R-Hero

Explorer
I just finished a conversion of i6, the original Ravenloft Module, and came across Ravenloft II.

Has anyone here played it?? I don't remember anyone in my family/group having said anything about playing it. (I don't think it has been used cause all the cards/inserts/maps are still in tact.)

It seems like its a confusing game with the Mesmerist Pendulum being the key to the module. :confused:

I guess i'm asking if anyone here liked the game and should I convert this one as well??

I loved the first one, by the way...

Cam Banks

Adventurer
I10 ranks as one of my favorite modules of all time. I ran it with the pregenerated characters, adding some background to them and making Mysti Tokana and Brother Summer NPCs/henchmen to Thadeus Mont Breezar and Rogold Gildenman, respectively. The game itself lasted about a year of real life time, although this wasn't weekly gaming. We'd do marathon sessions, accomplish a certain amount of stuff, then come back to it a month or so later. It's one of those adventures with so much going on, so many little details, that you can immerse yourself in it easily.

The best way to run it is to pair it up with I6, and have the heroes go back and forth between Mordentshire and Barovia when they sleep. It even suggests doing this for the ultimate experience.

After running the adventure, I used the world background included in the module as the basis for a homebrew campaign that featured the descendants of some of the pregenerated PCs. Much fun and a lot of enjoyment.

It should be noted that I10 isn't so much a vampire story as it is a classic Hammer Horror movie with elements of Frankenstein, Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde, and Invasion of the Body Snatchers. It really is very good.

Chees,
Cam

diaglo

Adventurer
I10 was weak. very weak.

the problem being motivation and why..

why have a room full of undead powerful monsters.

and right next door.. a bunch of peasants... still alive.

I6 was a classic

this one was just lame.

Davelozzi

Explorer
It's been years since I bothered to read I10, but from what I recall, it was definately inferior to I6 -- more confusing and less interesting. It seemed like if you didn't run both modules simultaneously as suggested, I10 wouldn't be much of a draw. But if you did run them together, you were just diluting the fun of I6. Maybe I'd enjoy it more now, who knows?

raineym

Explorer
With me, I10 ranks as one of the five worse TSR/WotC-written adventures ever.

I6 I've actually played so many times I've had to purchase two more copies because the previous ones had become so tattered, torn, and worn. Actually, I had run the adventure off the top of my head one time, using the adventure for creature stats and maps only, with only a few flubs.

I10 says it was written by Tracy and Laura Hickman, but in a chat session a while back Tracy said that the concept was created by both of them, but they left TSR before it was completed, and that several others actually wrote sections of the adventure.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
I 10 can be turned into a decent adventure, but does not start out as one, take the premise and locations, rework pretty much everything else.

The Auld Grump

Pinotage

Explorer
diaglo said:
I10 was weak. very weak.

I have to agree with diaglo! :) While I6 was a great adventure, one of the best, I10 was confusing and simply didn't compare. Complicated, confusing and not very well done. I played it once, but while I'd play I6 again I won't play I10. Like most movies, the sequal is worse and it's unnecessary complication to an otherwise cool module in I6.

Pinotage

iwatt

First Post
Isn't this module the Railroad-fest in which there was a mega-vampire an a mega-lich and you pretty much had no effect in the way the module ended?

Remove ads