• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

House rule #1: "You can attempt to go anywhere."

Baby Samurai

Banned
Banned
-Any class with the Turning class ability uses the Complete Divine variant

-Druids do not gain wild shape, they may instead choose from a list of variants (from PHB II, UA, and Dragon magazine)

-No multi-class restrictions (monks/paladins etc) or XP penalties or favoured classes

-Skill variant from Unearthed Arcana implemented (number of known Skills equal to skill points + Int modifier)

-Certain Skills folded: (campaign dependant – low magic = Skill folding/high magic = no Skill folding):

·Deception (Bluff + Disguise + Forgery + Sleight of Hand)
·Disable Device (Disable Device + Open Lock)
·Perception (Listen + Search + Sense Motive +Spot)
·Persuasion (Diplomacy + Intimidate)
·Stealth (Hide + Move Silently)
·Use Device (Use Magic Device + Use Psionic Device)

-No Leadership Feat

-No 5 ft. step

-No iterative attacks

-Withdraw action from Saga implemented

-Saving throw variant from Unearthed Arcana implemented (save scores/magic checks etc)

-No death from massive damage

-The spell polymorph is replaced with the Polymorph sub-school from PHB II

-Fewer Absolutes implemented (article by Sean K Reynolds)

-Every race/class/feat/equipment/spell/manoeuvre/mystery /power/soulmeld/utterance/vestige/magic item/template etc must be submitted for approval

Halfbat

First Post
Flynn said:
"Anything you can do, I can do also..."
Absolutely. I find this is a key component of anti-cheese GMing - not just in d20 but in any system. And it works: players _hate_ having their own workarounds being used against them. It comes down to another golden Rule that may be a GM style rather than House Rule:

- Fun with the story's the thing.

Baby Samurai said:
Every race/class/feat/equipment/spell/manoeuvre/mystery /power/soulmeld/utterance/vestige/magic item/template etc must be submitted for approval
Couldn't agree more - and ensure the player has the full documentation. And it is an extension to Flynn's, I think. I'd add to it one which our group always uses as #2:

- All mods/feats/abilities/spells/etc are subject to "control orders" and table/campaign variations at the GMs discretion if he thinks they will skew the game.

Baby Samurai said:
No 5 ft. step
Brave! I'd think there would be a riot at our table but, then, our players are careful to not abuse it too much due to the use of Flynn's rule above. As soon as the PCs start 5' stepping, the NPCs start doing so, too....

PS I like skillfolds, too, but haven't yet implemented them. Deception could also include "Camouflage".

Aus_Snow

First Post
#1? Hm, that's tricky, deciding which one that is.

Maybe this: "Every race/class/feat/equipment/spell/manoeuvre/mystery /power/soulmeld/utterance/vestige/magic item/template etc must be submitted for approval", or thereabouts. :)

Rhun

First Post
ThirdWizard said:
My #1 HR is probably dodge is +1 to AC, period. I think it was the first one I implemented at least, and I would never want to play without it.

I second this.

On the issue of PCs going where and when they want, I play the same way. They are also all warned before the game starts that encounters are not necessarily tailored for their level, and running away is sometimes the only way they will survive.

FireLance

Legend
This is the house rule that most people find most intriguing, because it seems to violate a core principle of D&D:

I allow my players to tailor their characters' gear however they like, subject to the standard wealth guidelines in page 135 of the DMG. Every time the characters level up, they get to re-select whatever gear they want, up to the standard wealth guidelines for a character of their new level. So, a 2nd-level PC with 900 gp of gear, say, a masterwork greatsword, breastplate, a composite longbow [+2 damage bonus], ammunition, and other adventuring equipment, makes a level. He can select up to 2,700 gp of gear, say, a masterwork spiked chain, full plate armor, a masterwork composite longbow [+1 damage bonus], a potion of bull's strength, a potion of cure light wounds, ammunition, and other adventuring equipment. This completely replaces his previous equipment.

In addition to cutting down on intra-party squabbling about who gets what, it also saves me the hassle of second-guessing what the players want, and placing appropriate treasure in the adventure. It also ensures that the PCs are relatively well-balanced with respect to each other (nobody gets all the good magic items) and with the challenges they are expected to face (they are always equipped with a reasonable amount of gear for their level).

The standard in-game explanation for how the PC's gear improves is that he belongs to an organization that keeps him appropriately equipped. Along the way, we have developed additional handwaves: some magic items actually improve with the character (as a paladin grows in power, the +1 longsword he frequently uses becomes a +1 holy longsword, for example) or change because of in-game events (the +1 holy longsword dealt the final blow to a demon and now thirsts for the blood of other fiends, becoming a +1 holy evil outsider bane longsword), the character is given a reward, the character gains an inheritance, the character actually finds treasure at the end of the adventure, etc.

Quartz

Hero
FireLance said:
I allow my players to tailor their characters' gear however they like, subject to the standard wealth guidelines in page 135 of the DMG. Every time the characters level up, they get to re-select whatever gear they want, up to the standard wealth guidelines for a character of their new level.

I'm not sure whether this is brilliant or insane.

There's a lot to be said for it, but doesn't it prevent you from giving out those interesting knicknacks? Don't you get a lot of sameness?

Anyway, my #1 rule is that we're here to have fun.

Remove ads